TV Everywhere
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

This question doesn't regard IMG 1.9 but I was curious as to when Verizon would roll out it's version of TV Anywhere to the iPad and plethora of devices. I'm sure you guys have your hands full with IMG 1.9 but during the summer it was stated that the ability would be rolled out in early 2011 along with IMG 1.9. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Reply
11 Replies
Joe_Ambeault
Specialist - Level 1

We'll expect to add devices across the entire year... but for instance you can already download Watch ESPN from the Apple App store to view live ESPN channels... more of those coming.

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

And would it be possible for Verizon to just add VOD streaming into it's app's while it readies the streaming of Live TV?

0 Likes
Reply
Joe_Ambeault
Specialist - Level 1

@VZsNumbaOneFan wrote:

And would it be possible for Verizon to just add VOD streaming into it's app's while it readies the streaming of Live TV?


That's actually the plan... On Demand content first on consumer electronics devices... then live TV... of course like all plans it could change as we learn more.

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

And one more question that I'm doing to know the answer for -- I have all new STB's (the QIP7232 and the QIP 7100 P2) These boxes all have USB ports; what are they for? I did notice they are inactive.

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Joe would you happen to know if Verizon would add RF capability to any of it's STB's? The line-of-sight IR sometimes doesn't work too well for me and makes me want to throw the remote out of the window sometimes. It's the one feature that really makes me want to go back to DirecTV.

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

And I have tried out several IR extender's and I don't really like the aftermarket solutions. I'd prefer something discreet like the RF being integrated into the box. Or an official add-on from Verizon.

0 Likes
Reply
Joe_Ambeault
Specialist - Level 1

@VZsNumbaOneFan wrote:

Joe would you happen to know if Verizon would add RF capability to any of it's STB's? The line-of-sight IR sometimes doesn't work too well for me and makes me want to throw the remote out of the window sometimes. It's the one feature that really makes me want to go back to DirecTV.


We went with wifi... much more 2011... RF remotes are so 2005 🙂

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you mean the remotes or the apps?

0 Likes
Reply
Joe_Ambeault
Specialist - Level 1

@VZsNumbaOneFan wrote:

Do you mean the remotes or the apps?


Wifi is a better future proof choice than investing in RF at this juncture... I was just playing with a traditional looking remote control that used wifi instead of RF or IR.  

Wifi also lets us use devices like smart phones, tablets and portable media players as remote controls.

0 Likes
Reply
VZsNumbaOneFan
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more question before the session ends -- what's the status on Verizon's transition to IPTV. There's many rumors about Verizon having no more QAM space.

0 Likes
Reply
Joe_Ambeault
Specialist - Level 1

@VZsNumbaOneFan wrote:

One more question before the session ends -- what's the status on Verizon's transition to IPTV. There's many rumors about Verizon having no more QAM space.


We are not out of QAM space... how we would have just added 5 HD networks?

IP based distribution of live channels  is being readied, but is not something for the near term... 

Still got some juice left in QAM to squeeze out (without reducing beautiful picture quality) before we light up more signal paths.

0 Likes
Reply