Can I use WiFi and other features without activating phone
crazygurl

I want to find out if I can still use WiFi, connect to the computer, etc without activating actual phone service with Verizon.  Basically I plan on getting this phone free with a new contract, but I will continue to use my old phone as the actual active phone.  (There are no new phones that don't require $30 data plan that are actually better than the phone I have now.)

0 Likes
Re: Can I use WiFi and other features without activating phone
tweak42

Yes, the Kin TwoM will work on wifi without activating the service.  Before activating mine, I was able to use web browsing and email for about a week on wifi.  I didn't try out the Zune software until later, though I don't think that would be affected either.  

However, I did start getting automated txt msgs from verizon warning that I would be in violation of the 2 year discount/aggrement (and be charged full price of the phone) unless I activated the Kin on my number.  I went ahead and activated the Kin at that time.  

At present, I could not find anything to that wording in the fine print agreement, and I don't think there would be any problem porting my number back to my old phone, but beware that you may have to activate the Kin once then transfer your number back to your old phone.

0 Likes
crazygurl

Thanks!  I don't see why they would care what phone you use, as long as you pay your monthly bill for the next 2 years!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Tweak42 is correct ... if you bought this phone under contract, you have to call to accept the terms or you'll be charged full price. An 800 number to do this came with the packaging.

But yes, you can keep your old phone on your line, and use this as a Zune player/radio/camera if you wish.

0 Likes
crazygurl

I just spoke to someone at Verizon.  You do have to active the phone once within a certain number of days of receipt, but you can switch back to another phone at anytime.  And of course as long as you stay on the 2 yr contract you can keep the Kin at the discounted price.

0 Likes