Can Kin TwoM Play Cached Games?
nationalacrobat

Hi, new to the forum as I'm considering getting a Kin twoM (same old story - don't want to buy a data plan, maybe best feuture phone available).

I was curious as to web page caching.  I know you can pin web sites to the home screen, and playtouchgames is one of those sites mentioned.  I just wanted to confirm - do you have to have an active wifi connection to play these games?  I was hoping that after playing a game once while connected, maybe the cached game would still be available for times when wifi was not available.

I doubt it, but I'm hoping! Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Can Kin TwoM Play Cached Games?
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

nationalacrobat wrote:

Hi, new to the forum as I'm considering getting a Kin twoM (same old story - don't want to buy a data plan, maybe best feuture phone available).

I was curious as to web page caching.  I know you can pin web sites to the home screen, and playtouchgames is one of those sites mentioned.  I just wanted to confirm - do you have to have an active wifi connection to play these games?  I was hoping that after playing a game once while connected, maybe the cached game would still be available for times when wifi was not available.

I doubt it, but I'm hoping! Thanks

Hi nationalacrobat,

I have checked my resources and I was not able to find any information indicating that Kin TwoM is capable of playing games like the one outlined on your post without a WiFi connection present. You will need an active WiFi connection to play such games.

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

If the phone's browser uses cache the same way that a normal Windows PC does, then you'll probably need a connection regardless of whether the page is cached or not.

When you request a web page, most browsers will contact the requested website to receive a timestamp for the last time that page was updated. If the cached page is newer than the last update, then the browser retrieves the page from the cache, which saves the time it would take to download the page again from the server.  If the cached page is older than the last update, then the browser will download the updated page.

So the process starts with the browser trying to contact the site to get the last update time. If it cannot do that, then you're likely to get the "This page cannot be displayed" message.

0 Likes
Kintwofan
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes it can played cached games. I have tested it with iphone apps that are stored in the cache and was able to retrieve them 10 hours after visiting the page. However, those apps don't actually work on the KIN it just loaded the images and some timers etc. If someone were to create a webapp that runs from the cache like the games I tried then it would work. Thegame I tried was Sencatouch solitaire.

0 Likes