Can connect to WiFi, but how good is it?
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

Hey all.  Just wondering how good you find your WiFi connections on your Kin Two.   I can connect to WiFi fine but I find more often than not, that my emails and web-pages won't load, no matter what WiFi I'm connected to.  Is that because it's a weak antenna / signal ?   Some setting that I'm not aware of?  When I can download emails, it can take a couple minutes to download them. It says "connecting..." for quite some time.  I can't help but to compare it to my itouch, which flawlessly downloads my email and webpages instantly when connected to WiFi (I don't have 3G on the Itouch, just WiFi).  I never have a problem on my Itouch no matter what WiFi I'm connected to.   Do I have a defective WiFi on my Kin Two, or do most of you experience the same issues ?  The number one reason I wanted the Kin Two, was for free WiFi without a dataplan.

Thanks!

Pam

0 Likes
Re: Can connect to WiFi, but how good is it?
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

i haven't had any problems with the wifi. It loads just a tad slower than it does on my computer. All webpages open, with the exception of ones that require plugins and the like (streaming videos, online radio, etc). Also, websites that by default require popups don't work (which is a bummer).

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks FishAreFriends.  I have the following blocked on my phone.  I assume none of these would affect webpages from opening.  Do you know for sure?  I thought I had to have All Data Services blocked so that I don't accidentally get on the internet on 3G when there's no WiFi.   I have never once been able to open Facebook or Comcast.net (trying to see if accessing my email through the web browser would work better than the phone's email download).  Thanks.  Pam

ps...  I like your FishAreFriends name.... I have a Salt Water tank myself.  :smileyhappy:

Block All Data Services

Block Premium Animated Messaging

Block Premium Messaging

Block Application Downloads.

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

I was just able to get onto every website I tried, including Facebook and Comcast,  from my Kin Two connected to my work WiFi, which is open.  Maybe that's the difference. Maybe the Kin works much better on Open Networks??  I tried downloading my email about a dozen times over the past hour through the Kin Email app though, and it failed every time.  My email is setup on my Kin through POP. I know the email settings are correct because I have been able to download my email several times.  Last time I was able to download email though, was 4 days ago and I haven't touched any settings since then. I keep getting the messsage "Can't download your messages right now, try again later".   I tried reading my email through the Browser instead of the Email app, and that worked fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Pam

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Haha thanks, it was a bit random, but i like it too.

I know the main network i use is a secure network, although i do not know the exact settings on the network. Glad you got the sites working, i'm not sure why they didn't originally. Facebook works on my end, and i just tried comcast and it works (although it is a bit messed up because they don't have a mobile site). As far as blocks go, i did it in stores, and all i told them was to block everything except the ability to send/recieve picture messages, and it has worked so far. The december bill has no ridiculous data charges, so as far as i know, the block works. On My Verizon online, data is no longer available, so i'm guessing within verizon's system, to block data, they just remove it altogether even though they say the $1.00/KB is mandatory. Also, now when i call #3282 (#DATA), it doesn't even display any data (it used to show 0.00 KB used). None of this should control the browser itself, Verizon only deals with the service provided. If you have an internet connection (Wifi, or 3G), its exactly that, where you are connected. Sites that you can access or not access are then controlled by that actual connection. I doubt you have these sites blocked on your wifi so i don't know what is going on, but just an example, if a school network blocks game sites, then it would be a network control, and the phone wouldn't be able to access that site either. If 3G is blocked correctly, along with the above checks, when you try to connect to the internet with wifi turned off, it shouldn't be able to. Thats how i checked if the phone was recieving/using any other connections.

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

I think what's going on, is the WiFi on the Kin is just plain flakey.  On the WiFi connection at work yesterday, I was able to open up all of the webpages I tried, but couldn't download any emails at all through the Email App.  It kept saying "unable to download, try again later".  I tried at least 20 different times throughout the day and never got it to download email once.  I left work and grabbed a bite to eat at Panera last night, and my email downloaded on the first attempt.   On my WiFi at home, I can connect to the WiFi, but  I have trouble opening up all webpages and downloading email.  So my guess is, the WiFi on the Kin Two is just finicky ....or too sensitive to router settings.   Poor design or poor hardware.  Seems a lot of people on this forum have similar issues.  Now my Itouch on the other hand, has never had a single problem with WiFi.  Connects on the first try, every time. Never an issue with opening up webpages or downloading emails through the email app. Pam

0 Likes
dsonyay

I have data blocked so I can only use wifi and text/MMS. 

Can I still use the e-mail app through my wifi?   I thought it only worked under the 3G side.  Just curious.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

The email works great through WiFi. I have my data blocked as well. I have my own domain, so I have set up my personal POP mail account and it works great.

0 Likes
dsonyay

OK great-- just wanted to make sure this wouldn't go through the 3g side.  I'll just have to select "manual update" so the app doesn't try to download when I'm not on a wi-fi.  Thanks!

0 Likes