Cannot Sync Kin to Zune or watch youtube videos.
Nostalgic
So I got this phone today and I synced it up to my computer. It did not recognize it so I downloaded Zune and tried it again. It does not recognize my device. How do I get it to recognize my Kin? And I cannot watch any youtube videos. This was a main reason that I picked this phone and for some others this works however when I try to watch a youtube video it sends me back to the youtube page.
0 Likes
Re: Cannot Sync Kin to Zune or watch youtube videos.
lavender
Enthusiast - Level 3

sometimes it takes a little while for the zune software to recognize the device (not that long though). after you connect the phone to the computer, look at the phone screen. it should say that it's "connected" to the computer. if you use the phone in any way while it's connected to the computer (i.e. unlock it etc.) it will no longer be connected (despite the physical connection) and the computer won't recognize it. to put it another way, plug in the phone to the computer then don't do anything with the phone except to look at the screen to check for the "connected" message. and look at the bottom left hand corner of the screen for an icon that looks either like a computer screen or your phone. click on the icon to toggle back and forth b/w the phone and the computer. if you need to download anything to the phone/computer, click and drag the item to the icon. 

not sure why youtube isn't working for you. i haven't had any problems with videos playing on mine. if you're on wifi maybe check the speed? maybe you have a slower connection and the videos can't be played ... 

good luck!

0 Likes
Nostalgic
Well I plugged in the my phone with the zune player open and it just does not detect that it is connected. However my phone is charging other than that I have waited a while for zune to regognize my phone but with no luck.
0 Likes
lavender
Enthusiast - Level 3

try locking the phone first (as in with the screen off). then connect it to the computer. give it a few seconds and see if something pops up on the phone saying that it's connected. after you connect it to the computer the screen should come back on with the message "connect. unlock to disconnect". when this shows up the phone should show up in zune as being connected to the computer. if you unlock the phone, then it will no longer be connected to the computer

if this doesn't work, then with the phone disconnected from computer, open up zune go to settings then phone, then click sync options. on the right side you'll see "device options" and "forget this phone", click "forget this phone" then try connecting the device again.

if none of the above work then i am out of ideas... you might want to take it to the verizon store or call tech support while you're near the computer so they can go through it step by step with you... or maybe your phone just has problems 😛

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks everyone for the help.

@Nostalgic, Below I have provided the steps to sync your Kin with Zune.

• Download/Install Zune software on the PC.
  • Power on the KIN device.
  • Connect the KIN to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
  • From the Zune softwares home page select the phone tab.
    NoteEnsure Synchronization Options are configured to allow preferred media synching. 

1. From the Zune home page select settings.
    Recently used application menu
  2. Select phone.
  3. Select one of the following.
    All
    Automatically syncs all items of a particular media type in your collection.
    Items I choose
    Syncs categories of individual media types by dragging them to the Device icon.
    Manual sync
    Manually add / remove media on the device / computer.

Hope this helps, please feel free to contact us back if you need more assistance.

John B

0 Likes
Nostalgic

Sorry I cannot view the photos on GoogleChrome, Mozilla, or Explorer.

I have opened up Zune and when I click settings there is only a Device option. I cannot change any setttings there because it asks me to connect a device but it does not recognize my device.

I cannot find a "phone" option in settings of the zune player.

0 Likes
NANCYC71

If your new to the zune and kin, when your plug in your phone it should automaticly start the zune software on its own.. after which, once that opens it may take up to 30 seconds for the software to recognize.. if you see your phone lock screen display a message that says "connected: unlock to disconnect" your phone is detected by zune.. if you then unlock that screen in confusion, you will infact disconnect the zune from the device, and syncing will not occur. It took me a while to get my zune to recognize my device as well, I had to make sure I had the latest zune update, and named my device as it asks you to do when your setting up. I hope it works out for you soon.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

The very  first time you connected your phone to your PC, you said you had not yet installed ZUNE?  It did not recognize it (which would be normal, as it needs Zune to connect ), Did you try installing any drivers before you installed Zune? If so there may be some driver conflict and you may need uninstall the drivers you manually installed before you installed Zune?

0 Likes
Nostalgic

Well there was no driver to install initially. When I installed zune and executed the software it did/does not detect my phone. Ive tried all the tips above but to no avail. The phone charges when it is plugged in but thats about all it does.

0 Likes
NANCYC71

install the zune software if you haven't yet.. then plug in your kin. if it doesn't connect or recognize, you may have to manually update the kin's driver on your computer. leave it plugged in and go to start menu, right click on "my computer" and choose "manage" when that window opens click on device manager on the left side window.. in the list of devices on the right side you should see a "portable device" expand that item and you will see "KIN".. right click on it and choose "update drivers", click "yes,this time only" when it updates, the kin should now recognize on zune. unplug your device, and plug it back in, it should open zune on it's own. your phone screen will lock, do not unlock it because it is connected to zune for syncing. Hope this helps.

0 Likes