Couple questions
Shockey

I'll be getting the KIN TWOm in the mail from Verizon in the next day or two. I've been reading a lot of things on this forum for the past week. I'm getting this phone because I hear it is the best feature phone and I just do not want to get a smart phone with a data package. So this is a great deal for me. I also got it free because of the 2yr contract deal.

Anyways.. I'm kind of worried about the Wi-fi/ 3G problem. I read fisharefriends whole review and advice about it and I understand it. I want to make sure that I disable the 3G properly. I'm on my Verizon account online right now and I'm looking at the "Service Blocks" segment. There is a whole list of things of things I can block. These are the ones I'm guessing I need to look at.

-Block All Data Services

-Block Mobile Web

1. Which one should I block to make sure that I do not use 3G just case my Wi-Fi turns off or goes of out range?

2. Verizon should be able to transfer my contacts from my LG Chocolate 3, right?

Also, if there is any advice for a new user of the KIN TWOm, feel free to share. Thanks a bunch! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Couple questions
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

1. Which one should I block to make sure that I do not use 3G just case my Wi-Fi turns off or goes of out range? I would call customer service and ask to have all data blocked except MMS (so your picture messages go through). When you get off the phone though, sign in to My Verizon and make sure you see the data block on your account, to make sure allowing MMS did not remove the data block.

2. Verizon should be able to transfer my contacts from my LG Chocolate 3, right? Some Verizon stores have the software to transfer contacts and some don't. So, worst-case scenario, you enter them manually. Look at it as an opportunity to get accustomed to the keyboard and weed out old contacts. 

Also, if there is any advice for a new user of the KIN TWOm, feel free to share. Thanks a bunch! :smileyvery-happy: While you're waiting for your device, you can install Zune on your computer (download free at zune.net). Set your sync settings to where you want them (you can have Zune sync all the music and photos on your computer if you want). Then simply connect your phone when it comes and you'll be all set to drag and drop. Also, you'll probably want to put pics of your contacts on your Favorites page (the second screen on the Kin, besides the Apps page), rather than having a page full of silhouettes, so maybe get those pics put into Zune for easy setup later.

Enjoy your new Twom ... it's a great choice for someone who wants an advanced device without a data plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mamcgoron

1. yes, have vzw block data usage on your phone to make sure you do not rack up charges while using wifi.

2. no, I can't seem to find my old phone since I got my kin so I can't say from experience, but from everything I have read you CANNOT transfer contacts to the kin.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

1. Which one should I block to make sure that I do not use 3G just case my Wi-Fi turns off or goes of out range? I would call customer service and ask to have all data blocked except MMS (so your picture messages go through). When you get off the phone though, sign in to My Verizon and make sure you see the data block on your account, to make sure allowing MMS did not remove the data block.

2. Verizon should be able to transfer my contacts from my LG Chocolate 3, right? Some Verizon stores have the software to transfer contacts and some don't. So, worst-case scenario, you enter them manually. Look at it as an opportunity to get accustomed to the keyboard and weed out old contacts. 

Also, if there is any advice for a new user of the KIN TWOm, feel free to share. Thanks a bunch! :smileyvery-happy: While you're waiting for your device, you can install Zune on your computer (download free at zune.net). Set your sync settings to where you want them (you can have Zune sync all the music and photos on your computer if you want). Then simply connect your phone when it comes and you'll be all set to drag and drop. Also, you'll probably want to put pics of your contacts on your Favorites page (the second screen on the Kin, besides the Apps page), rather than having a page full of silhouettes, so maybe get those pics put into Zune for easy setup later.

Enjoy your new Twom ... it's a great choice for someone who wants an advanced device without a data plan.

0 Likes
AraceliT_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you all for your replies. Customer Service can add the free Data Block, which will disable the following: 

• Internet browsing
  • Download, remove or delete any Media Center application that requires data use, such as Backup Assistant or VZ Navigator
  • Use of Media Center application that requires data use, except Backup Assistant or Family Locator if downloaded prior to block addition
  • Use V CAST to purchase and download a song
  • use any service that needs data connectivity
This block will not disable your Text, Picture or Video Messaging services. 
Thank you,
AraceliT_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter - @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Dragonfly440

I took my Kin Two phone from my internet order into a corporate store today.  They easily transfered my entire list of 215 contacts over for me. 

0 Likes
wsmith602

the guy at verizon transferred my contacts today so yes they can transfer your contacts for the twom

0 Likes