Custom Ringtones have terrible speaker quality
Chevelles240

So I just bought the Kin Two -because my parents wont let me get a data plan- and I quickly found out that you cant for some odd reason add or remove ringstones properly, except for adding them via text message.

So I used a website and uploaded a 3 second, and 30 second ringtone and sent them.

When I played the ringtone over my phone the quality sounded horrible!

I know you might think that the website just lowered the quality a bunch, but it's not the websites doing because I tested it on another cell phone and it was fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I used to own an LG Dare where I could load the rom into bitpim and load flawless sounding ringtones, and they sounded great.

Now I'm stuck with leaving the Kin on silent now.

Excuse the complaing though. I love the Kintwo but the whole nonadding/removing ringtones is a bummer. :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
Re: Custom Ringtones have terrible speaker quality
Plasticman

I have downloaded several ringtones I created on Myxer.com to the Kin TwoM. All sound perfectly fine. Some other sites are Phonezoo.com and Ventones.com

How do the ringtones that came with the phone sound? If they sound bad you might  have a poor speaker. I'd take it back to Verizon and let them check.

Some ringtone sites allow you to adjust the volume of the tone. If you make it to loud it may sound distorted on the phone. What I do is use the standard setting and only adjust if need.

If you use Myxer to get or create your ringtone  you can save it to your PC and then play it and see how it sounds before uploading to your phone.

One advantage of saving the tones to your PC is that you always have them handy. You can then send an e-mail to your phone at  xxx-xxx-xxxxx.@vzwpix.com (where xxx-xxxx-xxxx is your phone number) and attach several ringtones to one message. When you get the message you have the option to save each tone attached.

Romiving tones on the phone is a problem however if you name a new tone exactly the same as an exsisting one it will overwrite it.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Chevelles240

Well I use myxer.com as well. I tried it again and it was still an issue.

Ill upload a video to Flickr and attach a link to this thread so you can see what I'm talking about.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

From personal experience, i find that the speakers/speakerphone on the Kin Twom is one of the best out there.

What may be happening to you, is that certain sound files will get a 'staticky' sound to them when they exceed certain volume thresholds, aka they are too loud. This isn't the phone volume; i've been able to play videos and such at full volume with the sound maxed out, and there is none of this. However, depending on the volume of the ringtone you specifically are talking about, that might be set too high from the sound-creating website. Or, it could simply be that the phone you got has a defective speaker..who knows.

Try this site for more customized ringtones. Try keeping the volume at an intermediate level on the site to avoid this sound threshold static. There are also many, many other settings that could help with this, but i personally haven't spent the time to try them.

http://makeownringtone.com/

*note that this site only can upload your own sound files, so try this with any sound file on your computer, and then if the static/poor quality disappears, you know it is not the phone.

0 Likes
Chevelles240

Okay ill try that website fisharefriends. 

I still uploaded this video just so you all can get a better understanding and tell me if maybe it's just me. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsiSiLut7Q

Make sure to watch it in at least 480 or maybe 720 because the audio quality at those levels sound better. 

0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried phonezoo for the first time the other day.they have a great selection of tones.but i downloaded one to my laptop and sent it to my phone the @vzwpix.com way.i got  a download mms text bubble on phone,clicked yes,and it sat for 35 minutes saying downloading? i ended up cancelling it.does it actually take this long? i did notice when it was saved to lap top it saved it under Zune,could this be the issue? and where is the best way to save it? thanks

0 Likes
thecastelfamily

Hi,

I uploaded a ringtone that I custom made from MYXER and changed the drop box to LOUD... and it sounded terrible, Then I redid it with the default option and it sounds fine. Did you by chance change the volume in the drop down box?  I resaved it with the same name andi it overwrote the first tone.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I saw the clip, and it does sound considerably worse than a 'live' ringtone on my end. However, half of this is due to the quality of the sound also being processed through the camera, where the Dare (i think that was the other phone you had) even sounded low quality and 'trebeled' out. Remember, speakerphone quality is relative. I know compared to my old phone, as well as other speakerphones' i've heard, the speakerphone on the Kin is above average quality, and i think it is quite good. Try playing it on 'low' volume, then moving it up to 'high'. If the 'static' comes from this, then it is the actual speakerphone maxing out and giving the 'vibrational' sound. While this could be the case, most of the time, the sound file is the culprit, with the median volume level being too high. Couple that with a loud setting on any speaker, and it can sound low quality. And different devices have different levels of tolerance, which could mean that your old phone could play the same sound file, and not have the low quality sound, and the Kin can play it, and sound poor, but it still can be a sound file-related issue.

The biggest example i can think of is in my car hooked up to an iPod. There are some songs, where the song will have a great quality, none of the vibrational sounding 'over-fill' noise. And other songs, that are about the same levels in terms of bass and treble, and they would have that static sound when being played at the same, or even lower, volumes. Most of this comes from bass ranges, so what could help is on that link i provided, if they have an option to adjust bass and treble, turn the bass down a bit.

0 Likes
Chevelles240

Ill continue to mess with speaker settings with websites and ringtones. Honestly it's probably just because Ill never get a perfect quality ringtone because I cant directly add one through Bitpim. So it's just a matter of adjusting. Fisharefriends your maxing out volume info seems relative to my problem, but I believe that I cant get rid of it because in my ringtone theres a constant symbol hit from the drums. Thank you for the input everyone.

I do have 2 more questions to ask about if that's fine. For one does anyone else have a considerable amount glitches happen with the phone? Such as the the back button not functioning properly when it's supposed to and also sometimes in certain parts of the menu on the phone I cant get the phone to go any lower then vibrate. It wont allow me to silent it sometimes. I do notice contacts glitches a lot where it doesnt properly display a contacts information properly but I dont mind that little mistake everynow and then.

Also I've only had this phone for a little less then a week now and Ive already developed a small rainbow smudge on the touch screen where the finger hits the phone in the lower left hand side to start dragging the unlock animationg to the top right to unlock the phone.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Cymbals could easily be causing that, because of their considerably louder threshold than the rest of the song. I've never used Bitpim, but if it is anything like what i'm assuming it is, then yes, having htat be compatible with the phone would also clear things up. I read somewhere that people were trying to get Bitpim working with the phone, do a little bit of searching around and you might find that.

1.  Can't say much for the glitches. The only tiems i've ever had the phone freeze, are within the browser. But that being said, i've gotten to the point where i rarely use the browser. As for the back button: here's a link, describing the sensors on the phone.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Inconsistent-Auto-Lock-Behaviors/td-p/393544

As far as the silent goes:  You are probably talking about the lock screen. From the lock screen, you can only go down to vibrate. When the phone is unlocked, you can go down to silent, no matter what other screen/app you are in (if there are exceptions, let us know, but i don't think there are).

2.  I remember smudges being a problem. But, i purchased a Skinomi skin protector, and along with protecting the phone, it makes the phone very fingerprint-resistant, which i love. A link to another post discussing that (post #32, pg. 4):

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Cases-for-KIN-Two/td-p/341672

They are a bit more expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it. Very tough, very thin, all-around good products (and lifetime replacements!). The only problem with them is installation, but to be honest, i didn't find them hard to install due to the fact that you can slide it around while installing, which almost made them easier than the cheap screen protectors. Installing is just more time-consuming, and it is recommended to take the battery out due to the fluid that you need to use, which means you don't have a phone while installing and letting it set (as long as you don't add too much spray, and don't get much fluid into the buttons/openings, i'd give it 4-5 hours to put the battery back in, and then ~12 before you wouldn't have to worry about ruining it).

hope this helps.

0 Likes