Data Blocking -- Why?
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

This isn't a knock on those folks who have chosen to block all data, but I'm just curious as to why it's such a big deal?

I've had my KIN TWOm for about three weeks. I use data quite a bit for things like e-mail, weather radar, sports scores, Google searches, etc.  I've never tried to block data, and very rarely use airplane mode.  I simply check to make sure the WiFi connection is active before I sync e-mail or bring up the browser. If I'm in a longer browser session, I might check the WiFi signal once in a while during the session to make sure it hasn't dropped. 

In the three weeks I've had the phone, I've accumulated just under 4MB of Verizon network data usage.   I have the $10/75MB data plan, but even at $2/MB, that would be just eight bucks. Hardly worth losing sleep over. And on those infrequent occasions where I do need to check e-mail or access the web when WiFi is not available, I can still do it.  I have never seen a data charge for usage when I verified that WiFi was active.

Checking WiFi is really simple. Just pull up the dashboard and make sure the WiFi symbol is shaded dark blue, not gray. Also, if you're at a different location than the last time you used WiFi, you should go to the WiFi settings page and make sure the phone is connected to the right WiFi network -- and that it actually says, "Connected to <name of network>".  If it just lists the network, but doesn't say "Connected to...", then it's not connected.

Anyway, it's a lot faster/simpler than it sounds. 

I know that some people are in situations where their kids (or someone else) has access to the phone. But otherwise, I'm just curious why so many users go to the extreme of disabling data altogether?

0 Likes
Re: Data Blocking -- Why?
Kintwofan
Enthusiast - Level 3

The reason I have data blocked is because the Wifi will drop it's signal in the middle of loading pages alot with this phone. So then if I had the 3g service it would pick it up and I would not even know. This is a common problem; if you look thru the forums there are countless people who have had this happen to them. One person even had a bill for $7000 (yes I typed that right). However, since you have the $10 plan then in your situation of course you don't want data blocked. However, for people who don't want any data plan it only makes sense to block any chance of accumulating data charges then there is no way to get usage charges. Also, it only takes a minute to block it online and you can still send/receive pics and videos.

0 Likes
RugerRedhawk

I find the phone loses wifi pretty often, you could rack up some significant bills. 

0 Likes
Simplify

I'm on a tight budget. :smileywink:

0 Likes