Data plan question- $9.99 75MB
gbalstad

I have signed up for this plan and I am wondering what to expect from it.  Can I stay connected to 3G, leave my email open, leave facebook on, etc, and not go over the 75MB?

How does this work?

Can I just use the phone to block the DATA when I don't want to connect to 3G?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data plan question- $9.99 75MB
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feedback. The $9.99 plan has been grandfathered for the $10.00 75 Megabyte plan. Adding to what was stated; you can always use the #data (send) feature from your device to check your data usage. If you are needing more than a 75 Megabyte allowance, the $29.99 unlimited data plan would be a good value.

Thanks, 

edw@vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

You simply have 75 MB to use, before you are over the limit and may begin incurring extra charges. So that will depend on your usage. email and other 'text only' sites are relatively small; however, if you are auto-syncing your email at a frequent rate, you may find that it will eat up that data really quickly. Also, 1 youtube video may possibly take up that entire 75 MB, depending on the size of the video; in general, videos are very large, pictures are a bit larger, and text is relatively small; you will just have to test this out, and be conservative about your use for the first few months to see how long 75 MB actually lasts you. In reality, 75 MB is a very small amount of data, but depending on your use, it may last you the month, especially if you are mostly on wifi.

Wifi on the Kin phones is relatively spotty..if you have connection, it won't be using any of your data, but if you don't, it will be using your data. And unfortunately the indicator on the phone isn't very accurate, as to when you have a wifi connection. There is no way to 'tell' if you are actually connected to wifi, down to a pinpoint moment. So you could be connected to the wifi, and then momentarily lose the connection, and there is no way to tell; but you will be eating up your 3g data during that time if you arestill surfing; it automatically falls back on the 3g network if no wifi connection is available.

Yes, you can block data from the phone's side; you have to go into the phone's hidden programming menu, and then you can switch the data connections on or off; you will find that this is a hassle though, if you want to do it for regular use.

The way i would suggest in your situation is using airplane (standalone) mode when you know you are in a wifi zone and for-sure want to use wifi only. Airplane mode 'disconnects' you from Verizon connections; that includes calls, texts, and data (3G/1x/EVDO). So, it will be a bit annoying that you won't be able to send/recieve calls and texts while surfing, but you will have the security of knowing you're on wifi.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

I have the same plan myself and Ill give you an example on data usage. I am currently half way through the month exactly, 14 out of 28 days and out of the 75 mb, I have used 15.  Everyday, when I go home, I connect to my wifi and use my phone to facebook, sync email, cruise various mobile sites, youtube videos, etc. On the weekends and occasionally at work, I cruise online on the 3G to check status updates, email, bing searches/directions, upload pics and what have you. Honestly, the only reason I got the 75 mb plan was because I wanted to be able to do stuff on the weekends while I was out. If you plan to use it daily off 3G, its going to add up quick . Really Quick.

0 Likes
gbalstad

You stated that you have 15mb out of the 75mb.  How do you ensure that you are not using any data?  What do you turn off/on?  Do you have your email on your phone?  Does it automatically update?

If you could help me figure this out that would be awesome!

Thanks!

0 Likes
len
How do you see on your smart phone how much of the 75 mb you have used while surfing the internet? Thanks len
0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon has a service that you simply can call, and they will automatically just send you a text message (free of charge, if you don't have messaging) containing that info. Call #DATA (#3282) to receive this text.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

With a 75MB plan, consider setting your email to check manually. You won't want it polling your email accounts several times an hour.

75MB can go pretty quickly, so I wouldn't leave anything open that can update or sync.

0 Likes
ChrisConnors

My KIN 2 is sitting 8 feet from my Netgear N series that is providing wifi and the phone is showing that it is connected to my router.  I am still blowing through my data in a matter of days just using the KIN 2 for email and phone.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Hey Len,

As fish said, you can use #data  but me personally, I sign into verizon's website and check data usage there.

0 Likes
len
Thanks will do
0 Likes