Hot Spot Connectivity
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had this phone for about a week now and i think i have most everything figured out except a couple...i've been having trouble connecting to free wifi such as mcdonalds,etc....no problems at home though...a page will come up with a network name to enter but i ignore that and go back to wifi page and it will say connected to what ever network it scans and finds..but when i tap my browser app cannot find browser page comes up...anyone know what i may be doing wrong?

and secondly this is not that big of a deal but are there reminder alerts such as calls,text.and voicemails?...or do i just have to keep checking my phone if its in a place where i cant here it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hot Spot Connectivity
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

There are no reminder alerts on the Kin, sorry. If you missed the notification, you'll have to wake up the phone to see if anything new is showing on the main screen.

Re: Wi-Fi hotspots ... I connected to Wi-Fi at Starbucks using a Kin. When I turned on Wi-Fi, I got a prompt saying the network was found and asking if I wanted to connect. Then it took me to a Web page, where I had to agree to AT&T's terms.

I don't remember if I had to do this, but maybe when the Wi-Fi network page comes up, you have to select "Open" to indicate open network?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

There are no reminder alerts on the Kin, sorry. If you missed the notification, you'll have to wake up the phone to see if anything new is showing on the main screen.

Re: Wi-Fi hotspots ... I connected to Wi-Fi at Starbucks using a Kin. When I turned on Wi-Fi, I got a prompt saying the network was found and asking if I wanted to connect. Then it took me to a Web page, where I had to agree to AT&T's terms.

I don't remember if I had to do this, but maybe when the Wi-Fi network page comes up, you have to select "Open" to indicate open network?

0 Likes
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was at Wendys yesterday and was able to connect....and yeah i believe your right Sydney...i think i did have to select open...the phone finds the networks quick...just seems like it takes awhile to find the browser...it works great at home though....thanks for your help Sydney 

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Happy to help. I'm glad you got it to work.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the 3/14 at the SF airport I tried to access free airport WiFi, and the phone kept defaulting to T Mobile Access login- not even Verizon! I was never able to get on the internet. I had never had a problem before accessing a free Wifi. Others next to me were using free SFairport WiFi and and public WiFi with no problems. I tried over and over to select the free connection with no success!

Back home- it works fine with my home wifi. I'll check out free hot spots in town to see if this problem persists.

But what's going on?

0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
At Starbucks, I had to agree to AT&T's terms. So it may be that the airport Wi-Fi uses T-Mobile's network. As far as logging in, did you choose "Open" when the network came up? Typically, choosing Open means you won't have to type in anything.
0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't remember if I was given the "Open network" option. I just have never had a problem getting on other free hot spots before.

0 Likes