How do you turn off webpage when done?
blackmamba

If you have your free wifi on and are on the internet, when you are finished looking at a webpage, how do you turn that webpage off or make it go away?I did not see an X to close out the page (on the top of the page there is one but it is not highlighted and I could not get the page to close/go away totally).

If you hit the back button, it just takes you to whatever you looked at before or if you tap the 'recent' button menu the same thing; if you then hit the browser button again, you are still connected to that same page.

If you turn your wifi off while that browser is still on, it could default to tapping into Verizon's 3G and thus be charged.

The only way I could figure out how to get out is to turn my phone off which is a real pain.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How do you turn off webpage when done?
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

You don't have to 'exit' from it. That is, i'm assuming you blocked data..then just turn off wifi, and you should be good to go. If not, then i am not quite sure. Personally, my guess is that once you leave the browser 'app', it will automatically disconnect from data connections. When you go back in, the phone has a memory cache, and that is most likely where it stores that previous page, but it isn't actually connected to the internet while you aren't in the browser. Again, this is just speculation and i personally don't know because i have data blocked (but it looks like you have a limited data plan, so that is not something you want to do), if someone else can confirm that would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
blackmamba

I see what you are saying. Technically, once I turn off the free wifi and close the browser, it really shouldn't be "on". If I open it again, what I should be seeing is the memory of what I had last been in. But to be honest, I am scared to test this. While I have blocked all data through the store, I have no data plan at all on my phone, so if I turn off the wifi and that page is still up and it taps into the 3G network somehow, I will be billed for it.  I'd much rather just turn it off. You'd think there would be just a way to X out of it, you know? Odd.

Related question though - when someone DOES use 3G (non-free wifi), how are they billed? I know there is some sort of $1.99 per minute MB (megabyte) fee, but what is that for? Is that internet or something else? I ask because I have been calling in to check to make sure I haven't tapped in and accidentally used the 3G (because I did hit the browser and put in a webpage address without turning on the free wifi, although the page never came up, but it didn't say the page wasn't available - just kept spinning), and the recording said I had no KB (kilobytes). What's the difference?

Thanks as always!

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I was just looking at the info under your name, and it said 'limited' under plan; i assumed that was data, so my bad. If you don't have a data plan, do exactly as you did and block data. After that, it is a non-issue. Data is charged when you CONNECT to the 3g network, or other Verizon data network (1x/EVDO); if it is blocked, in theory there is no way for you to ever be able to connect to them; and i put my trust into verizon's data blocks, so as long as it is properly in place, don't worry about it. You can try going onto the browser (with the wifi off) and loading any screen/website, and if they load, then that means your data was improperly blocked. if nothing loads, then you are good to go, and the only way you can connect is through wifi (free). However, when doing this check, remember that you have to go to a 'new' site, or one that isn't stored in the memory, like google's search page or something like that. Try a news site, or a site you've never visited or one that updates often (why i suggested the news).

0 Likes
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

hold down the back button...that will take yo to your homepage

0 Likes
blackmamba

Already did that, plus hitting the return button. While it takes you back, if you hit the brower button, you are still on the webpage you were using. It still functions. I want to close it permanently once I am done.

0 Likes