I love the phone but disappointed at the same time
4LC4PON3

Overall I love the phone for a few features, The Camera is awesome, Videos are great, Zune Built in, Awesome TXT phone but man does it need work. The OS is buggy & chugs. Im disappointed because I feel like I bought a dud phone because there is no longer any support for it. Talking with Microsoft on MS Anwers they even said they have no future plans for this phone.

So where does that leave us. We cant mod the phone because MS wont give us the Files needed to unlock the ROM, We cant install any other OS (Android), Cant play games, We cant even do anything with the phone at all to improve the OS we have already to make it better & to top it off there is no Future Updates planned at all.

I got 2 Kin TWOm's 5 days ago because a verizon online associate highly recommended the Phone because it didnt need a Data plan but failed to even state that this hone was basically a dead/discontinued phone that no one supports anymore.

Im debating on returning them both because of this nonsense just because I dont feel like I should have to accept a phone that has absolutely no support or plans on making it better. We are basically stuck with what we got & cant do anything to improve it

0 Likes
Re: I love the phone but disappointed at the same time
Spiral
Master - Level 1

If you purchased the phones EXPECTING them to be improved then I would say you made a mistake.  In today's fast moving world of technology a phones support life averages maybe 6-12 months and the Kin is at the end of that cycle.  A little homework on your part would have easily provided you that information.

Unless you are prepared to put up with these phones for the remainder of your contract term (or plan on purchasing additional phones via eBay or at full price) I would recommend that you return these phones ASAP in favor of something you will be happy with. 

Unfortunately, the selection of feature phones is pretty poor right now which will I am guessing will make your decision more difficult.  Good luck.

0 Likes
4LC4PON3

I think im going to just craigslist the phones & just overall skip feature phones in general. I called verizon & i will get charged for a stocking fee. I wasnt aware that the phones were at the end of the term just because verizon never said anything. I do agree tho that the phones features are great but the lack of hackability or even a software update to make the current OS run better then it does hurts my decision to keep the phones as well.

Was it stupidity on my part yeah I should of researched the phone a bit more but in all honestly I just didnt.

0 Likes
KINuser2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would not call it stupidity on your part.  It takes two parties to make a sale or transaction.

I am going to stick with the phone and get LG or Samsung next time.

0 Likes
CLdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

How many feature phones can you name that will allow you to change the OS from MS to Google's Android OS on a MS platform?

I agree with you in the fact that this feature phone is different in the way that it is updatable like a smartphone and could use a some tweaking to better the operation and features. Compared to other feature phones though, this one has alot to offer already.

I think the problem that both Verizon and the consumers are having with the Kin2M is that if you are doing your research on the phone prior to purchasing it you find a lot of reviews and tech articles on the Kin2 not the M. This leads both the consumer in to a false sense of getting a smartphone without a data plan, and it also leads the un-informed Verizon rep. selling a product that they have old information on, or are biased against. (just read thru the blogs and see how many of us had similar experience's with Verizon).

I bought the phone knowing that I was getting a feature phone that had smartphone potential, not a smartphone with feature phone limitations.

I hope you get this resolved with Verizon and get the phone you want.

0 Likes
acilecki

I would totally have to agree with CLdoc. So many of the reviews seem to expect this to be a Smartphone. I am still waiting on mine to arrive, but clearly it is not a smartphone. It was very frustrated reading reviews about the Kin TWOm since most of them only talk aobut the original Kin TWO.  

The original Kin lineup failed because of the comparison to a smartphone. It was promoted as a smartphone when clearly it was not, and they charged you smartphone prices. Now it is being promoted as a feature phone with some features that you only find on smartphones. 

The one thing I hope this phone does for all feature phones is prove that there is a huge market for feature phones that can do WiFi. I understand their reluctance to provide such a thing, but based on the fact that the TWOm sells out within a day everytime they get them in stock, obviously it is in demand. 

0 Likes