Inconsistent Auto-Lock Behaviors
minmaster

sometimes i have to open the keyboard or press the power button to get the screen to turn back on and show the auto lock screen whereas sometimes pressing the back button next to the screen will activate the screen and show the auto lock screen.

is there a reason why the behavior is inconsitent?

0 Likes
Re: Inconsistent Auto-Lock Behaviors
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

have the 2m since christmas.i find sometimes when i dont unlock my phone for a while,it does take a few presses of the back button to open the unlock screen,but i have always used the power button to get to unlock screen anyway.think it just might be the phone has been sitting idle for awhile,mine does it first thing in the morn after sitting idle all night.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Not sure why it's inconsistent, but according to the manual, you can wake up the phone a couple of ways:

To unlock your screen, slide the screen open, or quickly press the BACK button then peel back the
lock screen wallpaper by sliding your finger toward the upper-right corner of the screen. If you just
want to check the time or see your wallpaper, press the BACK or POWER button.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The 'inconsistent' behavior you are experiencing is from the sensor (next to the earpiece) being covered up. When the phone is locked, covering that sensor 'disables' all of the physical keys on the phone (including volume!), except for holding the power button (it will then prompt you to turn off the phone, as usual). If you press it in low light, you will see little red light go in inside that sensory area. I believe it is a photo-transistor in there, and perhaps along with a weak infared/'proximity' sensor, the exact same sensor they use to disable the touch screen when you place the phone next to your face during calls, which prevents 'cheek dialing'. I'm not sure exactly what it is, it isn't purely light, because it still functions in the dark, but i also know that applying pressure on the sides of the phone (screen half) also make it more 'sensitive' to activating the buttons, and i'm sure microsoft designed that to simulate holding the phone (vs. it being pushed in a pocket, or bag/purse). Not quite sure why they designed the sensors this way, sure it prevents pocket unlocks, and i'm not specifically saying it is good or bad, but the fact that they don't even mention it in a manual is very frustrating and leads to a lot of confusion.

The actual physical buttons are very consistent (at least on my phone), and the pushes are registered every time i push them. The impulse you get from one button being more responsive than the other is simply because of the way you hold your phone when you push one button vs. the other (covering the sensor, accidentally).

All of my info on the sensory action of the phone is purely experimental, but to now it seems pretty accurate. It can be found in post *10* in my review/faq thread. When i wrote it (a long time ago), i wasn't sure if it was correct so it is in an unknown 'tone', but i'm pretty confident it is accurate now.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662

Go ahead and read through the entire posting (11 posts long), it is long, but i think it has pretty much everything that every owner should know about their phone, that wasn't included in the manual.

0 Likes