KIN 2 Help re data use while on wifi
ChrisConnors

I just got the KIN 2 and have my hotmail forwarded to the KIN.  I'm only using the KIN for calls and email.  I was told that while on wifi I don't get charged for data use.  My phone is on wifi for 23 hours a day.  It is showing that it is connected specifically to my wifi.  I have the 75MB data plan and am blasting through it in less than 10 days.  Verizon has offered to move me to an unlimited plan for $20 more per month.  I need help to determine why I'm getting hit with this high data usage or I will have to return the phone.  Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: KIN 2 Help re data use while on wifi
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

idk...why not block your data and only check your e-mail when your in a hot spot...thats what i do...i've heard if you leave your phone on wi fi it will fall back on 3G at times eating up data...also runs down your battery alot quicker...if your going to pay 20$ or more for data,perhaps a smartphone would be a better choice for you

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

That's exactly whats happening, without any data blocks in place, you will utilize the 3g network anytime there is a hiccup in your wi-fi connection.  What you want to do is set your email account to manually sync and sync when you want to check your email.  I have a feeling that these phones use ALOT of data. Its just the way they were structured, they were designed for an always on connection.  I also have the 75mb plan, and I also have email on my phone, but I have only used 15 out of my 75 mb's in a two week time span and I use my internet EVERYDAY. Including watching videos.

0 Likes
ChrisConnors

Thanks for the feedback.  To the best of my knowledge my router hasn't had much interruption.  My cell phone is sitting next to my computer that is also connected wirelessly to the router.  I haven't had any time that I could notice a delay in my connection on my computer.  But as you suggested, I got fed-up and moved to a smart phone.  I got the driod 2 with the 150 MB plan for $15 per month.  I didn't want to spend the extra money but I was getting killed with the data charges on the KIN.  Verizon couldn't explain why it was happening but they still charged me for the data that shouldn't be accruing.  They definitely tried to help but at the end of the day, they could find the problem and recommended that I just move to the unlimited data plan and give them $20 more a month.

One other thing to note.  Everyone at Verizon, including the person that called me and sold the phone to me, kept telling me the that if I had any problems what so ever with the phone I could return it in 30 days.  In fact, Brian who helped me on last Friday told me I had until this Friday before my 30 day window expired to return the phone in case they  could fix the problem.  But when I called them yesterday to either resolve the problem or I would return the phone they informed me that the hassle free return window is now 14 days and it had expired for me.  The 30 day period was changed this year but they apparently did not inform anyone at Verizon Wireless except the gentleman that was helping me yesterday.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I'm glad you were able to replace the phone for the droid2. Also, you are lucky you were able to sign up for the $15/150MB plan, because that one was discontinued a month or so ago. But it really isn't worth it to get data with the Kins in my mind; at least, that was how it was while the $15 plan was around. Smartphones eclipse the Kin phones in almost every way, and having that plan made you eligible to get one. Now, you have to get the $30 plan (at least, i think), so it is quite a bit more money than the $10 feature phone data plan; so pick accordingly.

0 Likes
TTTTrina

I've had no problem with my Kin 2-M and LOVE it. I originally had Verizon block the 3G defaut...but decided there might be times when I want to get internet when free wi-fi isn't available. I learned a few things:

1) You can turn on and off the 3G accessibility online yourself.

2) You should keep the wireless mode OFF unless you want it on. It's a quick bunch of steps to do this (Settings>Wireless controls>WiFi ON), and keeping it OFF ensures the battery isn't drained.

3) I rarely use the email sync feature. I go directly to the website of my email provider and look at the list of emails there and open them from the web ... why clutter my phone's memory with mail I then have to delete?

4) I have LOTS of access to free wifi with no problem (at home, at mom-in-law's house, at Starbucks, at local libraries, on the Hampton Jitney buses, at Panera Bread ...AND because we use Cablevision as our tv/internet/phone provider at home, lots of "wifi hotspots" from Optimum!). 

I LOVE that I have NO additional charges to my phone ... I have a really low basic plan, and if need  be, I can tap into the 'net where wifi isn't available .... I like the full-face screen, the easy touch screen, the full slide out keyboard ... and although I haven't used it much, the radio, the Zune (where I uploaded lots of pix and music), and the camera. Amazing gadget, which was FREE from Verizon and yes, it only had a 14 day return policy ... but it's perfect for me!

0 Likes
myquie

I am having the same problem and no one at Verizon seems willing to help.

I don't have a data plan. I got the Kin2 because it had wifi and I didn't need a data plan. Well I just got billed $7000!!!! I  haven't even had the phone for a month! I have it connected to wifi in my house and have used it maybe three times to check email quick. So I called and talked to 2 different reps. First one wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. Second let me speak to her supervisor who wasn't much help either. Got the bill reduced to $300 and they act like I should be thanking them for the savings! Really?! $300 for checking my email a few times??

They finally connect me to tech support and the guy says he doesn't know why I am being charged when the phone says it's connected to my netgear and to take it to the store. I have 2 days left on my 30 day return policy.(Whoever told you 14, I would look into that). If they say the phone is damaged, I might be able to get the charges dismissed. If not, I will have no choice but to contact the news, file claims with the BBB and anyone else I can think of and maybe even find a lawyer.

If anyone else has this problem, please speak up and don't let them railroad you into paying fees that you did not charge!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

$7,000?!?! That would mean you used 3.5 GB of data! If your usage is as described, it would be nearly impossible to do that without streaming media. I mean, even if you had your email set to poll every 5 minutes, there is no way you'd use 3.5 GB. Good luck straightening this out ... I wish I had an answer for you.

By the way, the return policy was changed to 14 days on Jan. 16, 2011. If the rep who sold it to you is unaware of that, you may get lucky. I believe a manager can override that policy. 

0 Likes
myquie

Yes, that's $7000! No one seems to care that it isn't possible.

0 Likes