KIN Recall?
WoodyWindy
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone seems to have vanished from the site for purchase, and there was a news article yesterday that the existing stock was being sent back to "somewhere".

• So what is the state of "we the 500(+/-)" of us who actually purchased the phones?
  • Will there be an active recall, or is the update that supposedly is coming from Microsoft this summer still in play?
  • Will that update actually be an upgrade to WinPhone 7 OS? (Or a close enough facsimile that it won't matter...)
  • If there is a "recall" can we keep the KIN handset (even if it has to be "bricked") as a souvenir?
  • If there is a recall, do we get a "real" WinPhone7 that does what the KIN should have in the first place?
0 Likes
Re: KIN Recall?
mdb296

There is no recall.  Microsoft has pulled the plug on their KIN and Sidekick phones.

0 Likes
WoodyWindy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know they stopped manufacturing and development. That's all that has been officially said.

The unofficial report was that Verizon was sending all of their stock back to Microsoft. (See this link)

What I was looking for was official word from Verizon whether that was indeed happening, and if so, what if anything will be done for those of us who bought them.

0 Likes
mdb296

No, Microsoft has stated they will continue to support existing KIN and Sidekick phones. My guess is Microsoft just does not want any additional phones sold so the can limit the cost of supporting them.  I am also guessing Microsoft has purchased all existing inventory of KIN and Sidekick phones to get them off of store shelves.

0 Likes
mdb296

I would not expect VZW to do anything for those of you that bought them... why would they?  There is nothing wrong the the phone other than the market for the KIN is not big enough.  If you are looking for a free phone your probably out of luck, sorry.

0 Likes
WoodyWindy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not looking for a "free" phone, just an answer.

I bought the KIN knowing not only its limits, but the promise that there were enhancements to be made. These enhancements were to bring the KIN and WinPhone7 closer togehter, possibly to the extent of being able to share an app store. But hopefully to at least the point where the browser doesn't constantly crash, and the Twitter support is properly interactive.

Microsoft had also stated that a significant mid-summer update was still planned. However, that statement was made before the actions mentioned in my original post were taken. Plans change. If actual sales were truly in the sub-1000 unit range, and new sales are now cut off, then what is the most efficient course?

So my questions still stand, and I would prefer that someone actually associated with Verizon and/or Microsoft answer them with authority, rather than speculation.

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

mdb296 wrote:

I would not expect VZW to do anything for those of you that bought them... why would they?  There is nothing wrong the the phone other than the market for the KIN is not big enough.  If you are looking for a free phone your probably out of luck, sorry.

Do you even own one? The -blam!- thing freezes all the time. So, your statement is patently wrong and was given from a position of ignorance.  I forgive you, not many people bought the phone.

If Microsoft can manage to get 90,000 of its employees Windows Phone 7 devices, don't you think it could at least try and make things right with the sub-10,000 who actually went out and bought this heavily-flawed product?

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
If its defective it can be replaced under warranty. It may not be sold anymore but theres hundreds of thousands laying in warehouses somewhere lol The phone had a good concept, I played with it and it looks and feels nice. Its just sad that it could not have a good IM client. I dont really see whats bad about the phone. The thing is that android phones sold so well that nobody really cared about the kin.
0 Likes
chorn

I just purchased a kinone and a kintwo over the phone for my kids Wednesday. Obviously before I saw this. They kept talking about the wi-fi made it sound so impressive. It could arrive as early as tomorrow (Friday) or Monday. Now I'm wondering if I should not accept delivery. Can someone tell me what the issues with Microsoft are? I am technologically handicapped if there is a problem with Microsoft what good is the wi-fi? Is there anything comparable to these phones for these prices?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi, chorn. My suggestion is to try the phones you ordered and decide within 30 days if you want to keep them. I've read reviews and watched a few videos on the Kins, and the impression I got is the hardware is nice and the software simply isn't as powerful as smartphones with faster processors (which is why they may lag). And when the $30 smartphone data plan was required, people wanted more smartphone functionality for the money.

I prefer to try a product and find out for myself, rather than rely on the users who post with problems (which is helpful though, since you'll know what to look for). As long as you're aware there will NOT be future software updates or an app store, as first thought last spring when they were released. As far as technical support, I've always found the answers to my questions by calling Verizon customer service and choosing the tech support option, or getting help in the stores.

Re: your second question about comparable phones, a feature phone with Wi-Fi is rare, so I'd be hard-pressed to recommend another phone for that price. I think you should give the Kins a shot (and report back to us, of course)!  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes