KIN™ TWOm Questions
didler

Here are a few before-I-Buy questions.

• Does it require a data plan
  • Do you need a data plan to use Wi-Fi
  • Is it vulnerable to viruses if online
  • Whats a Capacitive Touchscreen?

Can i please have more information about the dataplan that my bigest question about this phone.

Also is there anyone here that can give me a review.

0 Likes
Re: KIN™ TWOm Questions
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi and welcome to the boards.

From what I've read here and what I've been told by calling into customer service, the Kin devices do not require a data plan. You do not need a data plan to use Wi-Fi. I don't know about this particular phone and viruses, but viruses are rare on other smartphones. 

Here is a definition of capacitive touch screens, courtesy of Mobile Burn:

In the cell phone industry there are two major categories of touchscreen displays: capacitive touchscreens and resistive touchscreens. Capacitive touchscreen displays rely on the electrical properties of the human body to detect when and where on a display the user touching. Because of this, capacitive displays can be controlled with very light touches of a finger and generally cannot be used with a mechanical stylus or a gloved hand. Examples of devices with capacitive touchscreens are the Apple iPhone and the T-Mobile G1.

Re: reviews, they should start popping up here on Verizon in the next week or two.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two things; do I understand correctly that there are no voice commands?  So it will pair with a BT headset but I cannot use my voice to dial a number?  I have to look down at the phone while driving and even though I have a BT headset?  Seems like I've been doing this with multiple phones for quite a few years now.  Second, do we need a data block to make sure it doesn't go to VZW's network when WiFi is the intention?  Maybe there's a way to prevent it from using dialup?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

From what I've read, the Kin does not support voice commands. 

There may be a way to turn off cellular data from the device. The user manuals for the ONEm and TWOm are posted in the thread titled "The Kin is dead, long live the Kin."

As an alternative, you can have Verizon block cellular data. I believe you can set up a block online, or have customer service take care of it. Apparently, the Zune Pass only works through Wi-Fi, but yeah, you don't want to find yourself accidentally streaming music through your browser at $1.99/MB ... yikes!

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since I still have ACII and I am allowed to buy this phone, I wonder if the 3G data connection will go against my minutes rather than per MB?

With my Samsung SCH-i760 I can code in incorrect dialing numbers to prevent it from using data and just the WiFi, but that's a Windows phone and allows such modifications.

0 Likes