Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KIN Two M Review
KinUser

Ok folks! I got my new KIN today. I've only had it a few hours and wanted to give my impression(s). Like most everyone else I've read a lot of bad things about the KIN but I wanted (needed) to see for myself. On paper it just looked too good. 

My old phone was the Voyager. Look it up. It's a lot like the enV Touch. Before that I had a Samsung Omnia and before that an enV (1). And before that... I don't even remember.

So, as a reference to my opinion, for anyone who has any experience with any of the phones I listed:

1) the Voyager was a good phone. Kind of big. Touch screen was not the best. Nowhere near iPod/iPhone quality. But overall I was satisfied with the phone.

2) Samsung Omnia. {word filter avoidance}
! Worst phone ever produced! This phone was so bad I reactivated my old phone after 7 days of really trying to learn it and like it. Forget about it or anything else with Windows Phone on it. 

3) enV was good. It was pretty new and different then. I liked it a lot.

Ok. So, now to the KIN: first impression: relieved! this is a really cool phone. You have to see it not as a smart phone but as a feature phone. As a smart phone it will strike you as limited. As a feature phone it is the coolest phone I've ever seen. It does everything my old phone does and does it easily. So, my recommendation is if you're wavering, order it.

Now to some specifics:

Touch screen: if you've ever used a Touch iPod or iPhone or an Android, it's just like that. It is the first thing that hit me and it's worth the price of admission alone. After using resistive capacitive phones this thing will change the way you view touch screens.

Contacts list: get over it! Verizon screwed up on this (big time!!) but forget about it! Sit down with a cold one and enter in your contacts. PITA but worth having this phone for. 

Messaging: Hmmm... it's more like instant messaging than text messaging. Each person is like a long running conversation. When you text, you are continuing a conversation. So you see all the texts you exchanged with that person. Of course, just like Instant Messaging, when you delete you delete the whole conversation. Is that a big deal? Not for me. I liked being able to save old text messages but, come on! It's not that big of a deal. I'll adapt. And no, you can't forward. I've forwarded maybe 10 messages in my life. So, again, not a great loss for me. And you can't get the little picture emoticons that normal feature phones do. But it's kind of like texting someone on AT&T from a Verizon phone.

IN EXCHANGE: it has a really (REALLY) neat feature that pops up a little balloon in whatever you're doing with any incoming texts. You can go to texting or ignore it. I LOVE it. It sounds less cool than it is. I would easily trade any lost feature for it. And it has a text emoticon button. This is too cool. You're texting, you hit the button, you get a little menu of emoticons, hit one and go back to texting. 

Internet: This is it! Works awesome! Not everything but I'm amazed at how much DOES work. You can surf the internet on your cellphone WITHOUT a data plan! Forget about all the things it can't do. It can do plenty. Don't forget, this isn't a smart phone. It's (just) a feature phone. And seen from that prospective, well, show me another feature phone that can surf the net for free!

I synced a bunch of albums to the Zune player. It works great and picks up the cover art to boot!  BTW the radio works fantastic! And a 3.5mm headphone jack. Too cool!

I don't plug products very often but I've read a lot of bad things about this phone. While they may all be true to a degree, they are, imo, WAY over blown. This is a cool phone and I'm keeping it!

0 Likes
Re: KIN Two M Review
SydneyK

Awesome review, KinUser ... thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

And my favorite part: "Sit down with a cold one and enter in your contacts."   :smileytongue:

0 Likes
Pammy
Novice

Thank you for the VERY detailed review !!!   I currently have a Voyager, and I was happy with the phone EXCEPT for the touch screen.  The touchscreen was decent in the beginning, but not great, but it's gotten worse and worse over time, and now it's pretty much unusable.  Very very hard to dial a number on the front of the phone now, so I have to always open the phone to dial. PITA.  Tried calibrating it, took off the screen protector, but it's still horrible.  So I vowed to NEVER get another phone with a touch screen.  I looooonged to be able to dial a number on my phone again on REAL keys !!   I have an Ipod Touch 3G and you just can't compare the touch screens on the Voyager to the Itouch, so I figured if I couldn't have a really good touchscreen on a phone, I don't want any !  My renewal on my phone is on Jan 7th, and I had pretty much made up my mind on getting the new Octane.   I wanted a real qwerty keyboard WITHOUT a touchscreen and WITHOUT a dataplan. Really limits your choices.  My cell bill is already too high as it is without jumping to smartplan.   Then I stumbled across the Kin TwoM on Verizon's site two days ago, and had to read the description a couple times.   WiFi ?   Free WiFi?   No Data Plan?  What???  From Verizon?   SWEET !!!!   UGH...but another touchscreen?   As much I want the free WIFI, I really didn't want to deal with another sub-par touch screen on a phone, but after reading your review and you mentioning the touchscreen was as good as the Itouch/Iphone....well I got excited all over again!  The touchscreen on the Itouches and Iphones are just flawless !     And then I started reading reviews.  Very good reviews listed on Verizon's site, but when I saw a review on youtube last night, it wasn't great, and that discouraged me. 

But then you're review turned me around again and got me excited about this phone again.  So THANK YOU for taking the time to write this detailed review !   Pam

0 Likes
Burfield5

Thanks so much for posting this but I have heard that you can't set a picture as a background, is this true? Thanks!

0 Likes
jewett28

Burfield5 wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this but I have heard that you can't set a picture as a background, is this true? Thanks!

No, it's not true. You can easily set a pic as your background when you are browsing them

0 Likes
khoegen

I just received and activated my Kin 2 moments ago. I was lareayd aware that this is a feature phone, NOT a smart phone. I primarily got the pohone for the 8mp camera and video, and to a certain extent the touch screen.

I am already a bit frustrated with not being able to connect this phone to my PC. I do NOT want to pay a subscription of any type for music I already have at home. I simply want a method for uploading my MP3s onto my phone so I can listen to them. At this point I am unsure whether this is even an option.

If I am unable to upload and listen to music without having to pay for it (again) then I may simply return this phone.

0 Likes
SydneyK

Yes, it is now a feature phone, not a smartphone. But you can still sync your own music to your Kin ... no need to subscribe to Zune Pass. First download the Zune software. If it didn't come with the phone, download it free at Zune.net.

0 Likes
XsiveIdling

Just receieved my kin twom yesterday in the mail. Activation was a little hairy for some reason as I had to call in to customer support and have them add in my phone manually as opposed to *228 option 1..other than that the phone is rather nice. I used to have a droid eris, lg dare and an octane while the wife has an env3 and an ipod touch.

I'd have to put the kin twom somewhere inbetween the droid eris and the octane/env3 review wise. The touch screen is rather nice, clear to see and use with very little lag if any. Setting up the phone was rather easy as well although I DID have to enter contacts in manually (however with the keyboard its not that hard at all). Weight wise its a little heavier, I think, than the ipod touch but not painfully heavy by any means. Audio quality in both music and simple talk is rather impressive...in my opinion much better than the Octane/env3. Adding ringtones was definately a pain though as I had to 1. move the ringtones I had stored on my computer to the memory card of my wife's env3 2. send those ringtones from my wifes env3 to my phone 3. save the ringtones from the mms message I receieved.Contrary to a previous post I read the ringtones are saved individually by the name of the sound that was sent..NOT unnamed. Ringtones CAN be assigned to individual contacts as well as you can assign a custom sound for voicemail, messages calendar alerts and alarms.

In order to store any other music (mp3 albums and the like) or pictures, videos and podcasts you DO need to use the Zune software however I don't see that as a real deterrent especially if you're used to an ipod. Space on the phone is limited (limited as in I can only put on about 110 or so albums of my mp3 collection). When you first receieve your phone you have approximately 6.5gig free of memory (as opposed to 8gig).

Web browsing definately works and while it may not be super speedy it is definately useable for simple forum reading, facebook updates, etc.

All in all I'd give it a 4 out of 5 as a feature phone and a 2.75 as a smartphone. I'd HIGHLY recommend this phone for anyone that wants what I call an intelligent (as opposed to smart) phone...aka ability to text, listen to music, and mild web browsing with NO data plan required (provided you have wifi). Make sure you DO download/look at the manual posted in this thread as the phone itself does not come with an actual manual(just a quick guide that doesn't explain much).

Some things I found out that may not be posted in the manual: When typing anything and you want to permanetly use the symbols/green button functions press the green button twice and that will make anything you type use the symbols (as opposed to pressing it once for only one symbol). If you have issues with charging the phone try charging it from a computer as opposed to the outlet that is supplied, while it may take longer I've found it to be a better charger. Any other questions please feel free to ask and I'll mess with the phone and get you an answer .

Almost forgot...you can block data without having to call anyone by using the 'my verizon' feature on the verizonwireless website. I don't remember exactly where it is listed but its somewhere under 'change features' I believe. You do NOT need to disable roaming data nor do you need to enable airplane mode (enabling airplane mode can in essence DISable your actual phone calling and receieving capabilites). Link to Zune software: http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/software/download/default.htm

0 Likes
GreenMermaid

Xsiveldling --

A couple of questions for you:

1. Were you successfully able to download the photos from your phone to your computer using Zune?

2. Have you found how to make the $ sign on the keyboard? (not sure if this is an extra shift or combo of buttons)

0 Likes
KinUser

For the $ press the SYMBOL key  (next to the space bar). Press the right arrow. It's on the next screen.

0 Likes