KIN Twom Lanyard Holes Do Exist?!
skim104

***JUST MY SELF REFLECTION ON THE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS DEVICE :smileyhappy: IGNORE IT IF U GOT NO TIME****

Spent 2 full days on this device, just to figure out everything.

so far, everything i wanted did not happen: no contacts, calendar sync, not compatible with bitpim for now, no idea what to do with the ##programnitt option, etc.

certainly, i can survive without those since i do have my ipod touch.

BUT

no lanyard is just unacceptable for me. without it, my device will end up either swimming or no functioning screen.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

so i looked at the device carefully for like 2 minutes hoping some kind of magic would happen, and omg..

there it is, these two little holes which look like nothing important unless they are for lanyard...

these holes are located inside the battery cover. take off the cover, and they are at the top corner of the side with no buttons (opposite side of the volume and power buttons).

of course, i can't 100% guarantee that these are for lanyards, but at least my lanyard did fit in there, and it surely looks like its on the right place.

now, time to put the cover back on. oh wait, it doesn't close right because of the lanyard.

Check the inside the cover where the lanyard holes corresponds to..... what's that T-Block looking area?

looks like Microsoft or Sharp or both forgot to either cut out that piece or drill a hole somewhere in that area...

probably realized the mistake a little late and decided to not mention about the lanyard at all in the KIN Two or Twom manuals.

it's just weird that KIN One has instructions on lanyard but KIN Two doesn't.

Anyways, now i see these holes, im not giving up on the lanyard.

Does anyone have any idea what to do with the battery cover?

easiest way would be cutting out the area, but im afraid the cover would just crack....

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: KIN Twom Lanyard Holes Do Exist?!
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I gotta say, this post made me pretty happy. I really wanted a way to put a lanyard/wriststrap on here, seeing it also serves as a camera at many times for me, and the best solution i came up with was drilling 2 holes into the case i bought for it. But i believe you are right, i looked at it myself and found the 2 holes. There doesn't appear to be any function in them, no symmetrical designing of them, and all i can think of is a design flaw of what was a lanyard strap. Like you said, they even have the half-cutout portion on the battery cover.

My best advice as to how to get it working: get a sharp drill bit, and drill a hole/multiple holes until it is to your liking, depending on if you want to take out the whole section or just put the bare-minimum singular hole to get it to work. Or..use a sharp knife, something that doesn't apply too much stress to the material, not much shear on the material. A dremel (rotary tool) would work perfectly, if you have access to one. file/sand it down after for looks and sharp corners, and you should be good to go.

For comfort of mind, because the battery cover does feel cheap and thin as can be, hope this helps.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662/page/4

Post #40 (should be the bottom one on the 4th page), it has links to replacement covers, running at $10 (no shipping cost). The post also has instructions as to how to purchase it, in the event that you need to (verizon's site makes it tricky to actually be able to add it to the cart..who knows why). Good luck, give an update on how it goes. I very much want to know if it works, i really want to attach a camera wriststrap onto my device. As far as the integrity of the loop, i cannot guarantee its strength..i personally have never had a loop like that break off, but they all look small enough just to snap.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I gotta say, this post made me pretty happy. I really wanted a way to put a lanyard/wriststrap on here, seeing it also serves as a camera at many times for me, and the best solution i came up with was drilling 2 holes into the case i bought for it. But i believe you are right, i looked at it myself and found the 2 holes. There doesn't appear to be any function in them, no symmetrical designing of them, and all i can think of is a design flaw of what was a lanyard strap. Like you said, they even have the half-cutout portion on the battery cover.

My best advice as to how to get it working: get a sharp drill bit, and drill a hole/multiple holes until it is to your liking, depending on if you want to take out the whole section or just put the bare-minimum singular hole to get it to work. Or..use a sharp knife, something that doesn't apply too much stress to the material, not much shear on the material. A dremel (rotary tool) would work perfectly, if you have access to one. file/sand it down after for looks and sharp corners, and you should be good to go.

For comfort of mind, because the battery cover does feel cheap and thin as can be, hope this helps.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662/page/4

Post #40 (should be the bottom one on the 4th page), it has links to replacement covers, running at $10 (no shipping cost). The post also has instructions as to how to purchase it, in the event that you need to (verizon's site makes it tricky to actually be able to add it to the cart..who knows why). Good luck, give an update on how it goes. I very much want to know if it works, i really want to attach a camera wriststrap onto my device. As far as the integrity of the loop, i cannot guarantee its strength..i personally have never had a loop like that break off, but they all look small enough just to snap.

0 Likes
skim104

Thnx for your reply.

I will try that sometime later. definitely purchasing extra battery cover lol

this doesnt seem difficult for microsoft or sharp to fix. can't they just make little holes on the battery cover and sell it separately?

or did they already discontinue making anything related to this phone?

btw, as time passes on, im liking this phone more and more. anyone else agree? or is it just me? lol

KIN definitely feels like a product of microsoft. it feels something like windows.

compared to apple products, **bleep** load of bugs/fixes providing more chance to hack and freedom to modify

0 Likes
dsonyay

I've had the phone a week now.  I'm like you, as time goes on I like it more.  Except one thing--- the inability to lock the screen and keep the volume keys from changing volume.  I keep the  phone in my pocket and seems to always change volume while in screen lock.  Arrrggghh.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

dsonyay, i am in the same boat. My absolute biggest gripe about the phone is that crucial flaw of not locking the volume keys. Right now, i have a case on the phone, so it makes it so the keys are 'indented' inside of the exterior and i don't accidentally press them anymore. However, that is a temporary solution, i would one day like to go without a case and just use a protective skin on the phone to remove the extra bulk. Verizon/microsoft, at very minimum, is there any chance that we could at least get a bugfix update, of things like the volume, deleting individual messages and ringtones, forwarding messages, resending messages, selecting contact emails from texts, stuff like that? Those are major flaws of the phone that somehow slipped through the cracks from conversion to the M models and that new software, or were forgetten in the different software designs themselves (like the email selection from messages, that wasn't quite necessary with the spot, but now it is). The rest, having optional reminders for missed calls, messages, those are 'extra' features to be added to the phone (albeit i believe they should be on there, cause every other feature phone these days has those functions), but at very minimum, the bugfixes shouldn't take long to fix.

0 Likes
skim104

Made a hole on the cover.

KIN TWOm with Lanyard on

Just the cover

kinda messed up at the end. but satisfied with it.

i was still afraid it might break by drilling so I decided to melt the cover using a heated nail.

0 Likes