KIN wifi internet
js5555

I am interested in upgrading to a KIN Twom or KIN Onem. I was just wondering if anyone who currently have one of the two KINs can share their expereince with going on the internet using wifi. How fast is it? How long do you have to wait for a page to load? Is it easy to use?

Many thanks

0 Likes
Re: KIN wifi internet
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not have much difficulty configuring the device to participate in my WiFi network at home.  However, this was a manual setup.  When I went into Borders today, I expected the device to scan and pick up the free WiFi and that was not case.  While it does say it is scanning for a few seconds, it never detects any available open or private networks.  Since it works at home, I would say the hardware is performing correctly, however there must be a software problem searching SSIDs.

0 Likes
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, we don't broadcast our SSID at my work place and it's password protected. I typed in the name of our network and put in my password and it worked perfectly. At home it found our network right away (along with everyone else's in the neighborhood). I put in our password and it worked right away. 

The KIN does however seem to have a little problem putting the WiFi chip to sleep when I put it on the charger at night. The next morning it doesn't always "wake up" properly. I just make sure to turn Wifi off at night and on again when I need it. Problem has not come back since I started doing this. This is sooo simple: touch the lower right hand of your screen; touch the "Verizon Wireless" bar and touch "Wi-Fi". Done!

How fast is it? It's lots faster than dial up and not quite as fast as DSL. But after all, it's only a cell phone. Speed wasn't really a big issue for me. And in any case, it's easily as fast as any other cell phone when connected to the net. At least from what I've seen.

How easy is it? Well, the trick with this phone is to blow up the web pages (put 2 fingers on the screen and open them) and then lightly touch the hyperlinks. In general, this screen works better the gentler you are with it.

No, it doesn't do everything. No Youtube. No Pandora. Now AOLRadio. I haven't found anything that will stream to it. But it will display just about any web page. Some websites don't have mobil pages. THAT'S the problem. Not the phone. For example,  I can manage my fantasy football team with it because NFL.com has a great mobil page. Go to Huffingtonpost for example. It looks the same as it would from your computer, just really tiny. But this phone makes it super easy to zoom in.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine does not find "...everyone else's in the neighborhood", so I suspect a fault with the phone.  All my other WiFi devices probably "see" 10 or so devices around my house's vicinity.

0 Likes
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only thing I can suggest is tuning the phone off and then on again. It will reinitialize the WiFi chip. Not sure of a cure but that's the first thing I'd try.

- Mark

0 Likes