Re: Kin ONEM and TWOM Kin Relevance???
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah Jack, many people on xda and KIN forums are trying to get into the OS and see if they can make their own firmware updates/changes. Pretty interesting to see that this phone isnt quite as "dead" as many lead it to be.

0 Likes
aaronsaund
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dave I find that hard to believe. Now, I have absolutely no doubt the actual Zune HD and other Zune players and probably the new Windows mobile phones all sound good or better than iPod or other media devices but this phone sounds very bad. My sister and I also both have issues with the sound coming out of one speaker in headphones unless we move around the plug. I am not an expert in sound and music devices but maybe the phone just isn't strong enough to supply good sound. Like, maybe it needs an amp. I don't know. It could be that my phone is just defective. I don't understand how it could sound bad though.

I used two pairs of brand new headphones. In fact, the pair I actually use were just purchased this week and are not cheap. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones Maybe the phone just doesn't have enough power to give me good sound with those? I dunno. I thought for sure it would sound great. I was planning on using that Zune Pass because of the 10 songs a month and access to all the other music. I use my iPod in my car and would have replaced it with this.

Oh, and yes I have. Not much customization. It had more volume and didn't sound as flat with just the default option on.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Perhaps its your phone then. Mine sounds great and I simply use the earbuds supplied with the phone. I love having the option of answering calls while listening to music with a lil click on the headphones.

0 Likes
aaronsaund
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could be that I just have a higher standard or better ears :smileytongue: I would never use the crappy earbuds that come w/ the device. They sound so tinny! Honestly though it was a huge disappointment. The zune player was a HUGE selling point for me. It's just another let down :smileysad:. Still a good phone though *sigh*

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Aaron, you really sound displeased about the phone, and i am sorry about that. But i can assure you that there is no way that the phone possibly can be the cause of the poor sound quality. If it were playing through the speakers, then fine, the quality of those are subjective. But once you plug headphones in, there are 2 things that can control the sound quality: The headphones themselves, and the quality of the sound/music files you actually have. All it is doing, is reading hte digital file and sending it DIRECTLY to your headphones. Regarding the 1 side not working problem you have stated, that is either a problem with the headphones, or with your phone's earjack not having a good connection. If you are using an equalizer, that will simply add an additional layer on top of the original sound file and give it the equalizer's effects (through frequency filters and such, if you want to know the science behind it). But the only thing i wonder is why you are keeping such a dissatisfying phone; no phone is built to fit everyone's tastes, there are those of us that love it, and those that hate it. For those that hate it, there is absolutely nothing keeping you from 'getting out' and exchanging it for a new phone that you will enjoy. Before you criticize the phone in general, i personally think it is your individual device and you might want to consider a warranty replacement; especially if you say that at times the sound to the headphones only comes out 1 ear.

Regarding the camera quality, a month or so back i was able to go to the Dew tour and i took pictures with my Kin 2m, and the pictures came out great. And I really can't criticize the shutter speed of the phone; i had riders coming right in front of my face down the superpipe, and i got clear, awesome pictures of them. I especially love the fact that the camera has the burst mode, great for motion shots where you can't time it perfectly. The problem with the camera doesn't lie in it's shutter quality, or how it does with moving shots; it has to do with it's shake stabilization. That is regarding 'shaking' and noise that comes from the camera holder's side. Pretty much all cameras have some sort of shake stabilization, including the kin phones, but it is just a poor one compared to 'real' cameras. But..if you have a steady hand, you will get clear, great pictures. The reason motion pictures are blurry on your end is probably cause of hte natural habit to move with the object you are taking hte picture with, or if you just use the auto-focus 'quick-snap' of the touchscreen take, or by pushing the camera button instantly. What i do, is hold the camera button half-way, pointing at an object about as far away as the object i'm taking a picture of to get the auto-focus right, and then i wait for the moving object to come to me. Then it's a quick snap w/ little delay, and it is focused too cause i already steadied my hand and focused the camera before-hand. Even with 'real' cameras, if you are moving quickly, or don't hold the camera steadily, there will be a blur effect; it is just magnified with the worse stabilization of the kin. But that is comparing the Kin camera to a real camera; now try comparing it to phone cameras, which it is one, and it is definitely on the top-tier.

0 Likes