Kin ONEm--email syncing problem
Erink

I have a Kin ONEm, and I use email and the Web browser over a WiFi connection. A week or two ago, I started having trouble with the "Email" app (which I have synced to my yahoo email account). When I select "Email", my inbox starts to come up, but then it inexplicably takes me back to the main screen without showing me my inbox.

I have tried to see if I could fix this by deleting this email account from my email settings (with the intention of adding it back in and seeing if it would work then), but it just tells me it is "Deleting & signing out..." but it never finishes doing that.

For now I have been able to get around this problem by checking email through the browser, but I was hoping to eventually get the email issue fixed.

I read a post from someone else who was having this trouble and "fixed" it by going to a Verizon store and having the person reset their phone. I don't want to do that and lose all my contacts and other settings, so if there is a better fix, please let me know.

0 Likes
Re: Kin ONEm--email syncing problem
goofy174
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm assuming you have powered it down and back up? If so, a reset is what you need, but you can do it yourself by going to SETTINGS, ABOUT, erase phone data, I think.

0 Likes
EDalt
I would rather not erase all my phone data. It was a huge pain getting my contacts transferred over when I first got the phone, so I'd rather avoid going through that again if possible. Is there another way??
0 Likes
EDalt
Sorry, I am the same person who posted the original question. I have had many login problems when trying to use this site and apparently I created two different login IDs without realizing it!
0 Likes
Erink
I would rather not erase all my phone data. It was a huge pain getting my contacts transferred over when I first got the phone, so I'd rather avoid going through that again if possible. Is there another way??
0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Erink, 

It does seem as it a factory reset is in order for you. I know that this is something you want to avoid, but since you have already tried to remove and readd the email, the next step would be a master reset of the phone. 

Please note that you can back up all of the information on your device to your PC before performing the reset. You would simply hook the phone up to the USB cable and connect it to your computer. You can create files for the data on the device. Once you complete the master reset of the phone, all of your data can be moved back to the device. 

Below I have provided you with a link to the user's manual, as well as the steps on how to perform the master reset.

Kin Owner's Manual

Master Reset:

Tap Settings

Tap About Your phone

Tap Erase Phone Data

Tap to erase all your personal data from the phone. This setting erases all your sign-in information, settings, contacts, favorites, photos, videos, music, and messages from your phone. You will be asked to confirm.

Please note that when backing up the data on the device, it will not back up your text messages. Since the master reset will remove your text messages, I would suggest forwarding any messages you want to save, to your email address. 

Thank you for your posting and have a good day!

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

Oh my goodness...Christina, I'm happy you're trying to help out, but please don't assume that things that would work on most other VZW phones will work on the KIN.  Unless I'm mistaken, two of the three suggestions you gave will not work.

1) When I connect my KIN to my computer (Widows Vista), the only thing that will recognize it is the Zune software.  It does not show up as a normal USB drive that you can simply copy files to/from.   Now Zune will certainly allow Erink to transfer his photos, videos, and music.  However, I don't know of a way to use it to transfer contacts, which is what he said he was most interested in.

If you know of a driver that will let us use the KIN as a simple attached drive, please let us know.  On the other hand, I do recall in some previous topics here that some Verizon stores have the ability to backup and restore contacts on the KIN.  But you have to go into the store to do that -- and find store personnel that know about it.

2) Your suggestion to forward text messages to an e-mail address would be fine -- if the KIN had the ability to forward texts.  It does not.  The only way to do that is to take a screen shot of each "conversation", then you could transfer the resulting jpg images to your computer using Zune.  You'd wind up with a bunch of jpg images which you might be able to read, but you couldn't really restore them as text messages.

Once again, we appreciate that VZW reps try to help out here -- but please be more careful to ensure that your advice is valid for the device in question.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, you have my apologies.

Thanks.

0 Likes