Kin One data block - text message warning - Free VZW Msg...
johnwag
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got a Kin Onem to give as a gift to my daughter.  I subscribed to the minimum mandatory $1.99/MB data plan, intending to disable data on the phone to keep the cost low and use the phone as a feature phone, with occasional WiFi data use.

In the Service block settings on the MyVerizonWireless web page, I turned off all the services that will cost money, including the "Block All Data Services". I did leave the "Block Picture and Video Messaging" block off (allowing those).

Now, about every 4-5 hours, I get a text from Verizon on the phone that says "Free VZW Msg. Your msg/request was blocked and not delivered. Only the account holder can change your settings to allow access privileges".

I did a reset on the phone, so there are no e-mail accounts setup on it.  I thought maybe I had set something up on it that required data, but even if I do a reset and put the phone in a drawer and not touch it at all, it will still get the messages every 4-5 hours.

Anyone run into this yet?  Any ideas to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kin One data block - text message warning - Free VZW Msg...
johnwag
Enthusiast - Level 1

I made another call to VZW support today, and happened to get a rep that knew exactly what the problem was.

Turns out it wasn't the Kin at all, but was the phone number I got.  This was a new line, which received a new phone number from their pool.  Apparently the last owner of the phone number had subscribed to some premium text message service, and it was sending messages to the phone number I had randomly received.  Since I had premium messaging blocked, instead of delivering the premium service Verizon sends a free text message telling you it blocked a message.

The rep assigned a new phone number to the phone, and viola - no more annoying text messages.

Hope this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

that's really annoying... I blocked everything as you did, but didn't get a single msg as you mentioned...

johnwag wrote:

I just got a Kin Onem to give as a gift to my daughter.  I subscribed to the minimum mandatory $1.99/MB data plan, intending to disable data on the phone to keep the cost low and use the phone as a feature phone, with occasional WiFi data use.

In the Service block settings on the MyVerizonWireless web page, I turned off all the services that will cost money, including the "Block All Data Services". I did leave the "Block Picture and Video Messaging" block off (allowing those).

Now, about every 4-5 hours, I get a text from Verizon on the phone that says "Free VZW Msg. Your msg/request was blocked and not delivered. Only the account holder can change your settings to allow access privileges".

I did a reset on the phone, so there are no e-mail accounts setup on it.  I thought maybe I had set something up on it that required data, but even if I do a reset and put the phone in a drawer and not touch it at all, it will still get the messages every 4-5 hours.

Anyone run into this yet?  Any ideas to fix it?

0 Likes
johnwag
Enthusiast - Level 1

I made another call to VZW support today, and happened to get a rep that knew exactly what the problem was.

Turns out it wasn't the Kin at all, but was the phone number I got.  This was a new line, which received a new phone number from their pool.  Apparently the last owner of the phone number had subscribed to some premium text message service, and it was sending messages to the phone number I had randomly received.  Since I had premium messaging blocked, instead of delivering the premium service Verizon sends a free text message telling you it blocked a message.

The rep assigned a new phone number to the phone, and viola - no more annoying text messages.

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Likes