Kin Onem- Creating a Kin account from the phone and other issues
ceruleanblue
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my new Kin Onem yesterday, and so far I like it, but I'm having a couple of problems. I haven't been able to set up my Kin account from my phone and no one at the Verizon store or customer support has been able to figure out why it isn't working. I read on some of the previous posts in this forum that the feature it had before with facebook has been removed, so does that mean that I can't create an account?

Also, is there any way to add a custom ringtone (not one of the preloaded ones)? I work in a kennel, and I can't hear the preloaded ones over the dogs, even with the volume all the way up.

Another issue I'm having is with the bluetooth. It doesn't seem to be recognizing my other devices in scans, and my other devices haven't been able to send anything to it.

Thanks for any help!

Edit:  I thought of one more thing... When I purchased the phone, the guy at the Verizon store told us that it required a data plan and sold us the $15 for 150 MB one. I thought I had read that it didn't require a data plan?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Kin Onem- Creating a Kin account from the phone and other issues
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi. I don't think the rereleased Kin devices use Kin accounts. And truthfully I don't know how much longer Microsoft is supporting those features anyway (just so you don't feel like you'll miss out on much).

I don't have answers for you on the custom ringtones or why your Bluetooth isn't working. I just looked at the specs and it appears it supports most BT types. 

Re: the data plan, I think there are employees who aren't familiar with this rerelease. I just put this phone in a shopping cart to try it, and it did not make me add a data plan. I would call customer service at *611 and ask to have it removed.

Enjoy your new phone!

0 Likes
dsto

You should be able to have that removed at once. I would'nt take no for an answer. There are some CS folks that have no clue as to what is going on. Keep calling till you have an informed induvidual.

I had a bit of trouble at first getting my car stereo to pair up. I was worried at first but I tried several times (initiating pairing from from car then phone, then phone to car.) it took several tries and it finally paired and now it auto pairs everytime with no problem.

Keep trying to pair your devices after you confirm everything is turned on correctly.

I have no idea about any KIN account. I did not sign up for one...didnt even know it existed?

0 Likes
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not have to get the data plan with my TwoM

0 Likes
ceruleanblue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answers everyone. I talked to Verizon technical support and also went back to the store to get them to troubleshoot it and they believe the Bluetooth and Kin account problems are an issue with the phone itself. They are replacing my phone with a new one. He also showed me how to add custom ringtones for when I get my new one. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the data plan with it or not. I think I'm going to see how much I use it first.

0 Likes
profeicy

:smileyhappy: FYI the kin does not require a data plan. it is a basic phone with no sync options.

0 Likes
profeicy

correction on the last post. there are no kin spot or kin studio syncing on the device. from the looks of it you can still get you emails on the device if preferred and sync via gmail for contacts and calender.

0 Likes
ceruleanblue
Enthusiast - Level 2

profeicy wrote:

correction on the last post. there are no kin spot or kin studio syncing on the device. from the looks of it you can still get you emails on the device if preferred and sync via gmail for contacts and calender.

Since there are no Kin studio or Spot options anymore, is that the reason that it's not letting me create my account from the phone and isn't syncing? Even on the replacement phone that I got today, it's not doing it. The guy at the Verizon store told me that he'd never had that problem before with this phone. 😕 

The good news is that the Bluetooth on the new phone works (it paired with my headset right away, which the other phone wouldn't even detect in a scan), but does it not support file transfers from a computer? My computer still gives me the message "Device does not have the necessary services."

Edit: What exactly are the differences between the Kin One and the Kin Onem? I've heard people say that the Kin Onem is supposed to have a calendar and calculator, and reading the manual I see it's also supposed to have a few other options that my phone doesn't seem to have. Did I get the old Kin One instead of the Kin Onem? 

0 Likes