Kin Onem and 3G service
nlombar

I'm tyring to identify a way to disable 3G service on the Kin Onem. I have disabled roaming through the phone, I have blocked data service through verizonwireless.com, but I cannot figure out how to disable 3G serivce (the 3G indicator is still showing next to the wifi indicator). I know there is an airplane mode, but I do not want to disable the other functions. I just want to be able to use the Internet when I want without worrying about data charges. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kin Onem and 3G service
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

When you block data services, it makes it so your phone cannot send and recieve data. The 3G icon will still remain there, but you shouldn't actually ever be able to connect to it. That is assuming you (more like the verizon rep, if you did it in-stores or over the phone) blocked data correctly. Just use it sparingly the first month, then check the bills and make sure there are no charges (note that if you used backup assist at any point..even though this phone doesn't support it, the verizon rep did it for me..that will add about half a MB of data). Another check, try to connect to the internet with wifi turned off. No pages should load. Note, that common pages, like Google's search page, can be saved in the memory cache, so try searching a new page. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

When you block data services, it makes it so your phone cannot send and recieve data. The 3G icon will still remain there, but you shouldn't actually ever be able to connect to it. That is assuming you (more like the verizon rep, if you did it in-stores or over the phone) blocked data correctly. Just use it sparingly the first month, then check the bills and make sure there are no charges (note that if you used backup assist at any point..even though this phone doesn't support it, the verizon rep did it for me..that will add about half a MB of data). Another check, try to connect to the internet with wifi turned off. No pages should load. Note, that common pages, like Google's search page, can be saved in the memory cache, so try searching a new page. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

That is correct that you'll still see the 3G icon. I noticed that on a Kin that wasn't activated.

0 Likes
nlombar

Thanks for the suggestion! I did disable the wifi, and when I entered a new website, I was unable to access the site. I am completely using Wifi now.

0 Likes