Kin Onem data block
Nickw747

How do you block data on the kin onem.

0 Likes
Re: Kin Onem data block
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi and welcome to the boards. You should be able to turn off cellular data through the phone's menus. Here is a link to the user manual, originally posted by mhilbeli: http://pcdphones-client.s3.amazonaws.com/files/666/English_Manual.pdf

If you think you'll never want to use data except through Wi-Fi, you can ask Verizon to block it as well.

0 Likes
GreenMermaid

Very easy:  just go to Settings, then Wireless Controls; scroll down to Data Roaming and make sure it is OFF.  Scroll to WiFi to turn it on or off.  Keeping WiFi on will use up the battery faster as it will always be looking for a signal, so it is suggested to turn it on only when you need it.  You can check your data usage on your Verizon account online to make sure you are doing everything correctly.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you sure turning off Data Roaming doesn't just impact non-vzw data?  Seems, it would still try to connect to VZW's data network?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You're correct. Turning off data roaming would not prevent the device from using cellular data. That would be used if you're traveling out of the U.S. and don't want to pay higher rates for data.

There should be a setting in the phone menus to turn off 3G though. You may just have to dig.

Also, keeping Wi-Fi on doesn't *necessarily* use more battery power. In some cases, especially in weak signal areas, it improves the battery life. It depends on the phone and whether Wi-Fi is more power-efficient than the cellular radio. Each user should try both and see which works better.

0 Likes
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Someone suggests you could put it to airplane mode and turn on the wifi, although it blocks incoming phone calls too...any other better ways to do this...

0 Likes
GreenMermaid

Yikes, you are right.  It does use the data unless you connect to a specific WiFi network.  I just called Verizon tech support and spoke to a very helpful tech rep who was able to block the data for me.  This will not block the WiFi.  

0 Likes
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

i guess this is the best option right now...

0 Likes
XsiveIdling

You can also block data on your own through your my verizon webpage and change the features you have enabled or disabled.  I did this first chance I could so the mother in law wouldn't accidentally hit the web browser function on her phone

0 Likes
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just blocked the data service online, pretty easy although took me a while to find that option.

choose:

change features->go all way down, see the "service block" button->all yours

0 Likes