Re: Kin Onem data block
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks bbolt. I think we are getting close now.

Could you please give us a link about how to make pc recognize Kin as a mass storage.

My guess is that MS doesn't want to anyone to access all those files except using Zune SW, thus they must have some locks to protect the memory space.

We might need help from some tech guys to hack into the memory space.

0 Likes
GP8008

OK - So I went into Service Blocks and blocked everything except for Picture/Video messaging.  I just want to make sure data usage is blocked, because the 3G Icon is still lit up on my phone.  Is this the case for everyone else?  I'm assuming that it's still lit because picture/video msgs would have to come through on 3G...is this correct?  Can someone who's blocked data confirm if the 3G icon is lit or unlit?  I need to know if the Service Block via the website is sufficient, or if I need to call verizon and have a rep block it for me.

thanks!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I saw a Onem that I know had a data block, and yes, the 3G icon was still lit as if active. You can check my signing into My Verizon ... if data is blocked, you will only see options to view calls and texts. If you see an option to view current data use, you don't have a block. Hope that helps.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Just a minor correction to Sydney's post, when checking to see the data usage online, the data 'tab' will still be there, but when you click on it, there will be an error message along the lines of 'this information is not available at this time'.  At least under my account, that is how it appears.

0 Likes
GP8008

Thanks.  And thanks Sydney.

I see the same. I also tried bringing up a webpage with Wi-Fi off, and it did not load. So I think I am good to go!

0 Likes
wdenton2789

@diamondx..Verizon does not use data for text messages, and as far as it requiring data, it DOES NOT! the 1.99/megabyte just means that you agree to do pay as you go for data, the same for ANY feature phone that DOES NOT require data, if you want to make sure data isn't used, call Verizon and have data blocked, this 1.99 is what you will be charged if and only if you use data, otherwise there is not a monthly recurring charge for data with this phone. also as far as the user manual goes, most phones do not come with them now days, because you can find them online and it is a HUGE waste of paper, not to mention they have to make a bigger box which wastes even more!

0 Likes
aedyall

I followed the advice of ks_26, but I think disabling the data on the phone makes the wireless not function also.
You can still turn the wireless on, but I couldn't get it to connect to my home network. Once I turned Data back on in the unit, it connected again.
PS, I saved that access number under a contact I called KIN ONEm, but stored the number as an address, not a phone number. It probably leaves off the ## when trying to dial if it's stored as a phone number.
PPS, I took my old phone and the 1m to a Verizon store. They connected them through their little box and transferred all my numbers! I had complained to Verizon about the back up assistant not working, and they told me to take it to a store to do it. They also credited my account the $20 charge for the transfer.

0 Likes
alwaysatexter

so you turn off data roaming and you use wifi it doesn't incur data charges?

i also have a 75 mb data plan so if it incurs tiny amounts it doesn't matter

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

Data Roaming doesn't really have any effect unless you're out of the country (or close enough to a border that you're picking up a network from Canada/Mexico) or don't have one of Verizon's nationwide plans. In most cases, if you're anywhere on Verizon's nationwide network, then turning off Data Roaming will have no effect whatsoever.

@alwaysatexter, since you have the 75MB data plan, you would not want to block data anyway -- because you would be unable to use what you're already paying for. 

Please see my reply under your topic "data and wifi" for some additional tips from my own experience.

0 Likes
aedyall

Data roaming is not the same thing as data transfer. Shutting off data roaming will not cut off data usage, unless you get on a different network.

If you shut off data transfer, the wireless will still work, but you won't be able to get picture texts. Text messages will still work.
I think. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes