Kin TWOm Re view
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

Been on the fence since the Kin 2m came back out,Read all the reviews here,the web and on verizons site itself.Read about the no text fwd,no ringtone down loads, & no apps,but then thought,i dont need that any way.fwd may 3 texts in 20yrs of owning a cell phone,downloaded maybe 3 rintones in that time,and dont really want to pay for a data plan to download & use an app to open my garage door! Then Verizon had it for free during their christmas promotion,so i ordered one,got it a week before christmas,but the wife wouldnt let me open it until xmas day.so i had it for a week now and figured i'de throw in my 2 cents.

General feel/apperance: Yes the back does feel kinda "cheap" and slippery.But will get a case off amazon like posted in earlier reviews.Dropped it twice so far with no issues.Like the size & weight.The Touch screen is very nice,its bright and easy to see and use.

Wi Fi: Its great! Had a few issues connecting to home wi fi,but had same issues with my 6yr olds Nintendo Dsi,got on after 2 days of trying.Had no issues with free hot spots.Seems very fast also.But does drain battery quickly.Only use it if the home lap top is being used by other family.Did the data block with Verizon,and use the airplane mode.

Call: calls are loud and crisp.Used andEnv 2 before the 2m,and much better sound with the 2m.dont like you can't disable the touch tone sound when dialing,but will live with it.Like how i have a favorite contacts page by swipping left,then can touch someone,and have the option to call/text from there.

Messages: Like the threaded messages,with the calls listed along with texts.Dont like how it dosent keep track of characters used,only have the 250 text plan so like to keep my texts short.Like the quick smiley/sybols key.

Keyboard: Great keyboard! nice feel to the push of the keys,i definatley know when i push a key.Only con with keyboard is kept messing up between the o/9 key and the p/0 key when typing the 0 at first.And the top row is kinda close to the top slide,but got used to it after a day or so.Like the smiley/symbol dedicated button,the call button & search button.was alot easier texting after reading the pdf users manuel on Verizons web site.Found out u can push the green "shift" button twice tou keep the green key active.

Camera:Awsome! Great pics! haven't used video yet.Used the touch shutter button only,the dedicated camera button is hard to use with slider open.like how it stores photos,recent,favorite etc.

Zune: Another great feature! downloaded the software before i got the phone so knew what to do when i got the phone,like how it downloads pics to computer and puts them in albums on phone.The radio feature is awsome,sounds great through supplied head phones.Have put any music on yet,but will soon.The free 14 day Zune pass trial is ok,but after the 14 days are up.from what i've read,you loose all acess to the song you downloaded unless u subscribe.

Cons: Not really cons just some things that one might be used to with past phones that u cant do with the 2 m.Like download ringtones,gonna try the sites mentioned here tho.The no volume lock,havent had an issue yet with this,but can be annoying.I actually like some of the ringtones/alerts that come with the phone.And havent had any issues with hearing them.Dont like that it dosent have an alarm only setting for sound.used that alot with old phone.

Overall: Great phone if your looking for a feature phone.If you want to download apps,games or ring tones,dont buy it.Verizon & Microsoft can make some $$ with the kin onem & 2m if they realize there are people out there,like me,who want a touch screen,8mp camera,wi fi & zune,but dont want to pay for data.They can use these phones as a stepping stone for people to try it,the upgrade to a smart phone later and pay for more data.Kinda a teaser phone.Overall loving my kin twom! Battery life is great,unless u use wi fi alot.

My Question: Like to send pics/text to Facebook,but wont let me send text/pic to the facebook e mail address i got from Facebook.Any one know a way around this?

Thanks to all the reviews that helped me decide to give the 2m a try,i am really happy with it! 4 stars!

0 Likes
Re: Kin TWOm Re view
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Thank you for the detailed review. I'm sure other customers on the fence will really appreciate it.
0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

no problem.loved the phone from the first unboxing.went to Verizon store weeks ago to look at it before ordering,and they had them in the back but wasnt told when they were allowed to put them out.so when it came up as a free phone of the day i took the chance and been loving it.dont like u cant customize wall paper and sounds much,but i will live with it! great phone,what reall ysold me were the video reviews posted on you tube,there are 4 really good ones with un biased reviews.watched them again after i got phone for some really helpful tips.

0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

one thing i forgot to review,was the no contacts transfer,i had no issue with this,only had about 30 in my old phone and wasnt bad doing it manually.was a good thing for me,got rid of some old ones,added new ones or updated them,plus verizon is splitting our area code soon,so we will need to dial it with any number,gave me the chance to add them to phone now.Like how you can put in multiple #'s home,work,etc. and Really like the feature of birth days and anniversary and business contacts,notes on people,& addresses all in one page and it syncs to calendar automatically!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I had a chance to try out a Kin Onem, and I loved the Zune player. It's so easy to subscribe to podcasts, and the sound quality and navigation controls are really nice. I really disliked using my BB media player after trying that one.

And I agree, it's a good time to weed out the contacts you haven't talked to in years. It's really not a reason to not buy this phone. As another Kin user here once wrote, sit down with a cold one and start typing!

0 Likes
violetbead
My Kin 2m is on the way. I found a cool 2 part video review with follow up video for commented questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5I6-1SG6o4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I can't wait to play with it.
0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

glad you 2m is on the way! that was the video i watched weeks before i got the phone,very good review! everyone considering a 2m should watch that 3 part video.watched it several times after i got the phone to see the tips. it is a great phone,had it since x mas and loving it! keyboard is still a little tricky to me,keep hitting the send/enter bitton instead of backspace when texting! but the minor quirks are nothing to get over...enjoy your 2 m!

0 Likes