Kin TwoM: Review, FAQ, Q&A, troubleshooting, etc.
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I bought the kin twom 3 days ago. We qualified for the new every 2 free phone, contract renewal deal, so i've been looking around for a few weeks, doing my research on forums here and there. So, i already knew most of the quirks by the time i bought it. To those who have made detailed reviews, thank you. It helped me decide whether to buy this phone or not. So to contribute back and perhaps help others searching for answers to the Kin twom, I am making a review/FAQ/Q&A to hopefully help answer questions, add my own insight, as well as information that i've found from scouring this and other forums. I  also have a few questions of my own that i will ask. It will cover many questions that i have seen asked around, questions i  had in mind before i bought the phone, as well as questions and observations i now have.

***and i am hoping somewhere a verizon/microsoft rep is reading this and passes the message along..that this is one of the  best feature phones out there, all it needs a a few minor firmware/software fixes, and really is as close to the 'perfect'  feature phone that i and many others have been looking for***

This is a very long review, so I will post it in separate posts (apologies for the double.. 10x post).

Contents:
**1 Overview, pro's and cons
**2 Physical quality
**3 Wifi
**4 Phone: calls, messaging, etc
**5 Camera
**6 Zune
**7 Secondary apps: alarm, calculator, calendar
**8 Cases

**9 Sensors

**10 Questions

Background: my old phone was a razr v3m, back to the stone ages. It was a free phone when i bought it, and i was looking for a free phone upon upgrade too. This phone is $50, but for a one-time charge, that was within budget for me. I also used the new every 2 $100 towards purchase offer to get it free. That being said, this could be why i love this phone, because in nearly every way, it was a HUGE improvement. The type of things i was looking for in a phone: good call quality, qwerty keyboard,

good camera. I mainly use my phone..as a phone. Call, text, and because i don't carry a camera around with me,

having an 8 mp with me and HD video was a huge bonus. I don't mind touchscreens, as long as it has a separate keyboard with it (i can't stand just having a touch keyboard, because you can't really do anything unless you are looking at it, and even  then, you can miss keys). Looking online and finding this phone and that it had the great camera and full keyboard as a feature phone (no data) at a low cost, i was instantly drawn towards it.

0 Likes
163 Replies
Danswhi

Hi, 

I am pretty sure I read through the entire thread and didn't find this answer....

Because I'm the only one asking I feel like I might just be doing something stupid. 

How do you add a new contact via text message? 

When someone texts me their name, I use the touchscreen to click "Add" -> "Add Contact" -> And from there type in their name next to the number. What do I do to confirm that what I've typed I now want in my phone book? I clicked the enter and nothing happened.... I feel foolish for asking

Thanks

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The 'add contact' button actually doesn't add the contact to the phone, it allows you to add contacts to the 'send to' list.  to actually add the contact to the phone from a text message, you need to tap the phone number, and then it will pop up a screen that will let you select to add the contact to the phone. Make sure you are tapping on the number, not just the top bar, or it will simply bring you to the same screen that clicking on 'add>add contact' does.

0 Likes
rebelrp

Well, my Kin TwoM died. I've had it for a month. Yesterday when trying to go to my email (wifi) it would show my emails for a split second, then go back to the home screen. Today when I tried sending a text, as soon as I would press "send" it would return to the home screen. Took it back it to the Verizon store and the tech tried taking it back to retrieve the contacts and the screen just went crazy. Now it's useless. They are sending a replacement. But now I have the pleasure of putting in all of my contacts, pics, music, ringtones etc. UGH!!! :smileymad:

0 Likes
Bigcanoe
0 Likes
RenaRay

Hi. I have, for the most part, read this entire forum. Some pages I just skimmed cause this is A LOT of reading to do on a screen at night. Anyways. I'm really thinking of getting this phone but I hear a lot of problems about the volume not locking. I don't want to have to turn my phone off in school because there have been instances where I have needed. You mentioned you bought a case for it but, unless it was a part a very quickly skimmed, I don't recall you saying if the case you have helped with the volume changing when the phone is locked. Also in your cons you mentioned some minor defects. I just wanted to know the BIG defects/cons of this phone. I'm 16 and will use this phone primarily for texting. If that helps you better answer that question at all. And would most of you highly recommend this phone? Please and thank you!

0 Likes
mabehr

First off, thank you for all the time and info put into reviewing this phone. I appreciate it as I am looking for a wifi only phone (no data package) and this seems like the only one out there.

I do have a question that I haven't seen asked:

Does the KinTwom support Windows Media Files? I mean the type where you go to a webpage, click

on a stream and it downloads as an mms:// page as a Windows Media file.

Any clues on that?

0 Likes
Robyn8814

Any idea if there is a way to turn off the sound when you are dialing the phone?

0 Likes
vaenillaa

That's fine by me .. I like threaded messages so I was thrilled when I found out that's how the messaging was set up on the KIN. I have an option for threaded or by-date organization of texts on my phone right now (enV touch .. awful phone) and I've never used the by-date option. My KIN should be arriving in the mail tomorrow so hopefully I'll like it! :smileyhappy: Thank you so much for your help!

0 Likes
v793jt0

When you leave the special characters pressed, like the n you can get its varition i.e. you get ñ on the txt ... however i found out that whoever you send that to wont be able to read it that character and even if you send a txt to yourself with the special character you cant read it so its not because of having a diff phone!

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

It's because SMS simply doesn't support the characters. However, for email use, or online communication of whatever other methods, these characters register (untested..but i'm about 95% sure).

0 Likes
v793jt0

yeah it works with email ... 

Does anyone know how you can download a certificate or any file into the phone in order to be able to use WPA2.

Or  know if the phone can handle WPA with 802.1x authentication, also called WPA Enterprise

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

First, you will need to establish a connection from your device to your wireless router following the instructions supplied by the router being used and your Internet service provider. The downloading of third-party certificates is not supported by Verizon Wireless.  For access to an Enterprise server, it is necessary to contact your IT administrators for special permissions. 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
v793jt0

The iphone and android phones are able to connect an WPA2 802.1x Enterprise network which requires a trusted certificate. .. however the network wont even show up on the kin .. I assume that like the zune hd, the kin does not support conection to these network... which I wish it did so I could use the browser.

Zune HD does not currently support the following protocols:

1.        WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

2.        Some forms of 802.1x

a.  Where a separate application is required to login

b.  Where a certificate must be downloaded to the device after a web based login
Colleges and large work networks are common adopters of these types technologies for network security reasons.  Check with your network administrator to determine if the network you’re attempting to connect to might employing any of these technologies.

0 Likes
vaenillaa

But it doesn't have a max text message capacity? Does yours have texts that are multiple months old?

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Nope, no limit. It has the same capabilities as most smartphones out there, in this sense. It isn't limited to 100 texts in the inbox, like most other verizon feature phones. It has the very first text i sent since owning the phone. But along the same lines of text organization, remember that you can only sort texts by threading, there is no standard by-date sorting.

0 Likes
vaenillaa

Quick question .. about how many messages does the KIN hold? I get frustrated when trying to read through old conversations and half of my outgoing texts have been deleted. When I look at my friend's iPhone, her conversations with me go back to November or December. How does the messaging work in that aspect with the KIN?

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

It holds as many as the phone memory can handle. So, in other words, its practically unlimited. A message is what, a few kb in size? And hte phones hold 4 or 8 GB..yeah, i'm pretty sure you'll be able to hold as many as you want, till you end up getting a new phone in the future. Even 50 MB will probably last you forever..to an unnoticeable extent.

0 Likes
jfraser1

I have a Phonezoo account, but every time I create a ringtone and have it sent to my phone it saves as unknown. Is there any way to change this? I've tried renaming the ringtones on phonezoo. I also can't figure out how to change the names after they are saved.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, i'm afraid that you can't change the names of hte ringtones on the phone, nor delete them, unless you reset your phone.

However, what i would do from phonezoo (or any other ringtone site) is instead of sending them to your phone from the site, send them to your PC. On your computer, you can rename the file however you want, and then from there, open up any email account on your comp, and send an 'email' to your phone with the ringtone as an attachment (to ##yournumber##@vzwpix.com). Your phone will recieve it as an MMS, with the ringtone attached. Then, you should be able to see its name before you save it.

Do note, that you can't delete or rename ringtones from the phone, but you can overwrite them by sending another file with the exact (has to be exact) same name.  In other words, before saving the ringtone, the most important part is to make sure it is named how you want it to be (caps, symbols, etc). If the ringtone itself is wrong/bad, you can always send another to the phone with the same name and it will overwrite the ringtone. If you're going to be changing ringtones often and want many 'temporary' ringtones on your phone, what you can do is just call them Ringtone_1, and then from there, just overwrite them with other ringtones as you feel like you want to 'delete' the old ones.

I also like putting a symbol in front of the titles, so that way they are at the top of the list (@Ringtone_1, for example). Only some of hte symbols will work, others will appear on your phone as a number sequence. So before you save them, you can make sure that they are the right title in the MMS you receive, and only save them if that corresponding symbol actually translated to a symbol (i know the @, !, and ^ work for sure; you can try others if you want/need). I use this sequence as a 'sorting' method on my phone, with the 3 symbols listed above as 'category' dividers (like one for ringtones/melodies, another for alarms, and another for alerts, etc).

0 Likes
fredl11

Do you have anything regarding Bluetooth.? I can find none available the are really compatible with the Kin's and it is very frustrating.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

What exactly do you mean you can't find any bluetooth device that works with the kins? What type of device are you looking for? headsets? car systems? The nice thing about bluetooth, is it is very technology-dependent, which leads to compatibility coming from the type of device you have, not whether an individual device will work with a specific phone or not. If you want to learn the exact specs that the Kin supports, read the user manual, or even the data sheet on the website of the phone (from the purchasing screen)

In short, the phone supports headsets and car systems, but cannot do phone-to-phone connection, or transfer namecards or sound, movie, picture files in that fashion. When we purchased new phones (my family plan), we received 2 free bluetooth headsets (jawbone icons) as part of some thanksgiving deal, and i know those work with the phone. I also know that stereo headsets work with the kins. As far as connecting to car systems, i have read that it does work with most. However, one thing to keep in mind, the phone itself does not have a voice-dialing functionality to it. You know that annoying 'please say a command' random button on the side of every other phone? So you can't do this with a bluetooth device, and it isn't completely 'hands-free'. However, one thing to note, if your car/system has its own phonebook or commands, then it should be able to use them and thus be hands-free.

In general, this phone's bluetooth capability is somewhat limited compared to most phones due to the lack of phone-to-phone file transfers/contact transfers and also no voice commands, but unless you're a dependent bluetooth user, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. As far as headphones/headsets go, i'm under the impression that nearly all of them will work. If you are checking compatibility from the device websites, it is understandable if this phone isn't on whatever list they have compiled; this phone isn't well known. But like i said earlier, it isn't dependent on specific devices, it is dependent on the types of connections the phone supports, and the type that each individual bluetooth device requires.

I actually just ended up copying this from the verizon sales site:

the kin supports: Headset Profile, Hands–free Profile, Stereo (A2DP), AVRCP (Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile), GAVDP (Generic Audio/Video Distribution Profile), AVDTP (Audio/Visual Distribution Profile) , AVCTP (Audio Visual Control Transport Protocol Profile)

check your device to see if it is one of these 'standard' configurations.

0 Likes