Microsoft Kills Kin - RIP KIN - We hardly knew ye
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

One last thread in these boards, I promise =D

http://gizmodo.com/5576764/microsoft-kills-kin

Microsoft is killing the KIN. Highlights from the article:

There won't be a separate Kin product anymore. Effective immediately, Andy Lees is shoving the entire Kin team into the core Windows Phone 7 team, so there will just be one big group to focus on Windows Phone 7.

The major reason? Sales. Microsoft never confirmed (or denied) that only 500 Kins were sold, but it's clear that the response has been completely underwhelming. Otherwise, why kill a project that was in development for years after just a few weeks? (And cost millions.)

Quote from Microsoft: "We have made the decision to focus exclusively on Windows Phone 7 and we will not ship KIN in Europe this fall as planned. Additionally, we are integrating our KIN team with the Windows Phone 7 team, incorporating valuable ideas and technologies from KIN into future Windows Phone releases. We will continue to work with Verizon in the U.S. to sell current KIN phones."

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Microsoft Kills Kin - RIP KIN - We hardly knew ye
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is absolute {word filter avoidance}
. I purchased this phone for my wife, and while she was initially disappointed with the lack of basic features like a calendar, the real kicker is that the phone crashes frequently.  I re-assured her that Microsoft would release updates to fix these issues (as they did similarly with the first-generation Zunes), and then today I read this.  Well **** us, I guess!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is absolute {word filter avoidance}
. I purchased this phone for my wife, and while she was initially disappointed with the lack of basic features like a calendar, the real kicker is that the phone crashes frequently.  I re-assured her that Microsoft would release updates to fix these issues (as they did similarly with the first-generation Zunes), and then today I read this.  Well **** us, I guess!

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Yeah... pretty much.  I suppose that's what happens when you buy a phone with terrible reviews and lacking in basic features or even passable functionality.  Maybe you can sell it on eBay as a novelty item?  There can't be all that many out there.

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I are fans of Zune.  I've had a Zune Pass for years now, and the idea of having a phone with Zune access was appealing.  The reviews I read weren't terrible, but underwhelmed, and recommended other smartphones for their wide selection of apps.  I expected Microsoft to update the Kin with an app store and what not, based on their track history with the Zune device. When the Zune first launched, it lacked features, and it had technical issues.  All of these were resolved with updates from the Zune team. Was it really that unreasonable to expect similar support for the Kin?

0 Likes
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can hope that they find a way to put the full windows phone 7 on your phone. However it's never a good idea to buy a device with the idea that things will be fixed in the future. People did that with the blackberry storm and that didn't end well for them.

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, to be fair, I didn't originally do that with the Zune.  I only found out about the problems it had after purchasing it.  It was their track record after the fact that gave me some faith in the company and its newer brands.  This event has obviously shaken that , and I will be more hesitant to jump on Windows Phone 7 (even though again, I'm excited about Zune and Xbox Live integration).  Along with iPhone coming to Verizon and the success of the Android phones, Microsoft has a long ways to go.

0 Likes
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

dickwelsh wrote:

Well, to be fair, I didn't originally do that with the Zune.  I only found out about the problems it had after purchasing it.  It was their track record after the fact that gave me some faith in the company and its newer brands.  This event has obviously shaken that , and I will be more hesitant to jump on Windows Phone 7 (even though again, I'm excited about Zune and Xbox Live integration).  Along with iPhone coming to Verizon and the success of the Android phones, Microsoft has a long ways to go.

Got some good news for ya:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/microsoft-says-kin-software-update-is-scheduled-for-mid-summer/

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I stubled accross this Microsoft support site article, but these stories were published prior to the announcement that Microsoft dissolved the development team.

0 Likes
dickwelsh
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes