New User KIN twom needs help!
icekitsune714

Hi guys, I recently purchased a Kin TWOM because i wanted a decent phone without having to pay for data plan. I have some questions that I need help answering/confirming because I searched online and it'll be nice to have all my answers here.

1. WIFI

Q: I understand that the kin two can go on wifi FOR FREE as long as you turn the 3G network off.

Would turing your phone to airplane mode be good enough to NOT use the 3G at all or do I need to go online and do a data block on the phone?

Would turning the data block off online, completely turn off the 3G network, so i guess incase of emergency, no use of 3G?

I can still receive text without 3G (text is not part of data- i think?)?

2. Games

Are there any games you can download from computer to the phone? I saw that someone posted mytouchgames.com as a site inwhich you can lay games on it or something. I want to play games and see if can imput by comp.

3. ZUNE

I never had a zune before and have no idea how it works. I believe this is free. I saw that all you need is to download a program and I can start putting my music from my computer to  the phone and just play it like a mp3.

Can you use mp3 from the computer, put into zune and use it as a ringtone?

Ringtone on phonezoo..sending it to the phone would not cost anything? But i'm not sure where to save it to because i don't think i want it to be permenant. Can I send it to the zune program

Some people also mentioned sending by email..i don't really understand it. Are we sending it as an attachment? or a link??

4. Bluetooth

Can you transfer music/pictures/ect. from phone to phone via bluetooth? I would probably like to send pictures to my sister when I see her WITHOUT using text. If not, is the only way is to transfer pictures from phone to computer and post it online?

5. MISC

I heard that there was an issue regarding the phone being on silent and still ring, can someone clarify? like if its on vibrate, the alarm would still go off,  but if people called, it'll be on vibrate?

THANK YOU for your time in answering these questions.:smileytongue:

0 Likes
Re: New User KIN twom needs help!
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

icekitsune714 wrote:

Hi guys, I recently purchased a Kin TWOM because i wanted a decent phone without having to pay for data plan. I have some questions that I need help answering/confirming because I searched online and it'll be nice to have all my answers here. Hi and welcome to the boards!

1. WIFI

Q: I understand that the kin two can go on wifi FOR FREE as long as you turn the 3G network off.

Would turing your phone to airplane mode be good enough to NOT use the 3G at all or do I need to go online and do a data block on the phone? Correct, wireless providers do not charge for Wi-Fi use. However, it's very difficult to tell on the Kin whether you're using Wi-Fi or 3G, so I do recommend a data block. As you stated, you can also put the phone in airplane mode, but that does shut off the radio, so you will not receive any calls or texts when you do this.

Would turning the data block off online, completely turn off the 3G network, so i guess incase of emergency, no use of 3G? Correct, you would have to go online to My Verizon or call customer service to enable data. If you think you'll occasionally  use it while out, maybe you want the $10 data plan ... $1.99/MB adds up fast!

I can still receive text without 3G (text is not part of data- i think?)? Yes, you will still receive texts. You can even receive MMS (pic and vid messages), but the customer service rep has to set this up correctly on your account. Be very careful that the rep doesn't remove the data block to allow MMS -- you will think you're using Wi-Fi and the charges will really add up.

2. Games

Are there any games you can download from computer to the phone? I saw that someone posted mytouchgames.com as a site inwhich you can lay games on it or something. I want to play games and see if can imput by comp. No experience with this, sorry.

3. ZUNE

I never had a zune before and have no idea how it works. I believe this is free. I saw that all you need is to download a program and I can start putting my music from my computer to  the phone and just play it like a mp3. Zune is great. It's free to use (unless you decide to purchase the Zune Pass, which is a music subscription for $15/month, plus you can keep 10 songs every month for your own collection). When Zune installs, there's a setting that syncs all the music and pics already on your computer. So when I installed Zune, all my music from Windows Media Player was there. You simply drag and drop to put on your Kin. You can also subscribe to podcasts through Zune. Plus the Kin does have an FM radio, which sounds good and shows current songs playing if the info is available.

Can you use mp3 from the computer, put into zune and use it as a ringtone? I don't think this worked for Kin users.

Ringtone on phonezoo..sending it to the phone would not cost anything? But i'm not sure where to save it to because i don't think i want it to be permenant. Can I send it to the zune program

Some people also mentioned sending by email..i don't really understand it. Are we sending it as an attachment? or a link??

4. Bluetooth

Can you transfer music/pictures/ect. from phone to phone via bluetooth? I would probably like to send pictures to my sister when I see her WITHOUT using text. If not, is the only way is to transfer pictures from phone to computer and post it online? I read that the Kin Bluetooth only works for headsets, not file transfer, but I'm not certain.

5. MISC

I heard that there was an issue regarding the phone being on silent and still ring, can someone clarify? like if its on vibrate, the alarm would still go off,  but if people called, it'll be on vibrate? This is because the ringer switch does not lock. So if your phone is in your pocket, you can bump the switch and put it in another mode. So you think it'll ring and it's on silent, for example. 

THANK YOU for your time in answering these questions.:smileytongue:

0 Likes
icekitsune714

Thanks, I was wondering if you know anything regarding the browser. I was online using the wifi, but once i get off of wifi, i don't want to use the browser anymore incase of using 3G but i don't know how to close it. I don't think it automaticcally closes because once i hit browser again, i page i was last on was there.

Thanks,

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
When you close the browser, either by hitting the back button to back out or long-pressing it to automatically return to your apps page, it will stop using data. When you reopen it, you're simply seeing the last page you were on. I don't know of any other way to close the browser. One thing that WILL continue to use data though is if you have your email accounts set to sync at anything other than "Manual."
0 Likes
wpndenton2789

i can answer the questions that icekitsune714 was not able to...as far as the games and that website, i have not had any luck with it, but you should see if you can figure it out! as far as mp3 ringtones, you cannot, i used a site called myxr and made my own ringtone, it send it as a text to your phone and you can save it as a ringtone! if you want to send it by email you might be able to do so by sending it to one of these [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com or [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS), Example: 1234567890@vtext.com, also if someone you know has a cellphone with music, you can have them text with attached music to you!

0 Likes