Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
No Onscreen keyboard?! Really?
JonRup

I love this phone, but really, no on screen keyboard for texts?  What the hell was Microsoft thinking? :smileymad:  I really love this phone but this is one thing they have NO reason for not having.  It's sad, and it's makes this portable device not so easy to use sometimes.

You would think a multibillion dollar company could figure something like this out.  Guess not.

0 Likes
Re: No Onscreen keyboard?! Really?
Spiral
Master

JonRup wrote:

I love this phone, but really, no on screen keyboard for texts?  What the hell was Microsoft thinking? :smileymad:  I really love this phone but this is one thing they have NO reason for not having.  It's sad, and it's makes this portable device not so easy to use sometimes.

You would think a multibillion dollar company could figure something like this out.  Guess not.

Respectfully, if you wanted an on-screen keyboard why didn't you research the phone to insure it was available?  With all the information available these days on this Internet thingy, we have little excuse for not knowing it wasn't there before purchase.

0 Likes
JonRup

I did lots of research before I bought it, but not one review I read mentioned the lack of an on screen keyboard.  So I assumed it was there, as it's a pretty BASIC feature.  Using the QWERTY exclusively for typing isn't terrible, but a major inconvenience as I have to use two hands to text no matter what.

Another complaint?  No back button on the touch screen.  My physical back button is already getting hard to press and I've only had the phone about a month. 

It's a great phone, but it has some obvious flaws.  No on screen keyboard is really, really sad.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor

I also wish there was an onscreen keyboard and back button..and it is a pretty lackluster part by microsoft not to include them, like they put absolutely no effort into testing with an 'actual' customer base before they hit the market. Being an engineer, for any product, the first place you can look to when it has these serious design flaws and inconveniences is the company's complete neglect of actual customer testing. You see it all the time, mainly for software, where they release a limited amount of 'free' test versions of software months before its actual release. It isn't a gift; it is a win-win situation. Testers get a free version of whatever new product is out there, and manufacturers get the irreplaceable feedback and knowledge about their products, and you can only hope they take it as constructive criticism and fix it before mass release. If you ask me, this is the one thing Apple does better than any company out there: marketing, and making sure that what they sell is what people want. Sure, their computer technology lags a little bit behind windows and still has compatibility issues, but the fact that they have established such a big 'name' and did this feedback testing in the first place allows them to release new versions in rather quick timetables to address previous issues and add new wanted features.

However, just for you to note, I know for sure that the review i wrote up stated that there was no back button on the touch screen,nor keyboard or keypad. And i have read a few around these forums too that have mentioned it. Here's 2 links, the first being my long, comprehensive review/FAQ, and the 2nd  being a list of bugs, mor missing common features, that i have found on these phones (and they are quite old, perhaps you just glanced over them by accident).

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-OneM-TwoM-firmware-issues-Verizon-Microsoft-update-wishlist/td-p...

0 Likes