Notes and the Kin Network for Wi Fi only KinTwo m
Not applicable

Just getting acquainted with this phone and I still haven't found the Notes section or anything, dose the Kin 2 have notes?

I also never logged into the phone like all thesupport pages say for device set up, do I need a Internet Price Plan?

I was pretty interested to see what all you could do with the Kin Studio, and I have to set up the device to start a Kin account. Or is the support page out dated and there is no longer a connection with the kin and kin network?

0 Likes
Re: Notes and the Kin Network for Wi Fi only KinTwo m
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

You need to make sure what phone you actually bought. There is a Kin Two, and a Kin Twom, which was a re-released updated model sold as a feature phone. Read your packaging to find out. The original Kins were discontinued back last July, only a month after they went on sale due to terrible sales figures. However, last November, they re-released the m model phones. Check your packaging to find out. It most likely is a Kin TwoM, but i've read people buying the original Kins that were discontinued, but some reseller still had a few in stock.

The original Kins had the Kin studio, spot, etc, and the M model Kins don't. However, Microsoft announced that they were discontinuing that service the end of January (next week) due to such lackluster sales, and were offering to replace those Kin owners with any other smartphone, free of charge.  I don't remember ever having to set those things up that you mentioned (i have a kin Twom), so thats what gives me the impression you have the original Kin Two. However, since you bought it recently, I also think it is highly likely that you have a Kin TwoM. The easiest way to check is look at your phone: if there is a 'spot' in the dead center-bottom of the phone, then you have the originals. If you don't have htat spot, then you bought the new Kin Twom. The original required a data plan and was marketed as a smartphone despite being inferior to other smartphones in nearly every way. The new m model phone does not require a data plan, and was stripped of its Kin studio, spot, loop features, but has an added calendar, calculator, etc and is essentially a redone software to make it a 'feature' phone.

Lastly, to answer your question, there is no notepad, notes or other such app on either of the Kin phones. Kind of a bummer, but thats what you live with. If you do have the m model phone, you will quickly learn that the phone is still amazing as a feature phone, considering its great camera, Zune player, wifi capabilities, etc. that no other feature phone is comparable to.

0 Likes
Limestone

I wonder if it is possible to pull up a Website that has a nice sized space to type in blank text (kind of like this post message screen), type up the note as needed, and then save it using the camera's focus and back buttons as an image. The text would not be editable afterwards, but could be useful to jot down one time information.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, you can take notes through the browser. I know Gmail has a notepad, so if you have wifi access, you can always use that. However, if you're like me and don't plan on being connected for the majority of the time, and/or don't want to take the time to turn on the wifi just to read a note, then you can use several other 'offline' note-taking methods.

One way i do it, is simply just text yourself. It is very easy to find (just click new text message, search yourself, and then you pull up the page of all your notes), and that is likely the only thing you will be sending yourself. The only downsides, are yes, you will get duplicates of your notes (sent and recieved), and that you can't delete them one at a time, since the kin phones can't delete individual messages. If you don't have unlimited texting, i don't think that is an issue, because technically it is a verizon-to-verizon text, and i'm pretty sure you get unlimited v-to-v texts even with the smallest texting plan.

Another, is by just creating a calendar event for whatever note you want. I personally use this the most, mainly because you can use the calendar event as a reminder time of when you 'want' to see it again..sort of like a remindder to read the note again (otherwise there was no reason to take it in the first place, if you never look at it again..). The calendar is very easy to add and delete events, and easy to add and change the times, etc.

And like the post above mentioned, you can always screenshot any of these notes, and then just have them in your pictures. However, i find this as extra work, cause if you can just text yourself, or just use a calendar event, it seems kind of redundant to have an image of it.

0 Likes
tweak42

I create a draft email message to myself in the email app to take notes.

FYI: the cheapest txt plan ($5 for 250 txt/month) isn't free Verizon-to-Verizon.  The $10 plan does have it however. 

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for hte heads up. for those without a plan that gives you unlimited v-to-v texts, i'd suggest using the calendar for notes, or the email draft idea.

0 Likes
cameritt

I created a new contacts card and named it "Notes" and "To Do" then added them to the Favorites page. Since there is a notes section at the bottom of the contact information, I just use that to type notes to myself.

0 Likes