Notes and the Kin Network for Wi Fi only KinTwo m
jelr2006

So I'm still getting familiar with the phone, I never signed in to the phone like the Support Page says for Device set up, is that because I don't have the data plan?

Any way I cannot access the great kin network because of this. 

Main concern is I want to use my phone to take notes, I already see that I can not get games, and a lot of other things but I still want my notes, what can I do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Notes and the Kin Network for Wi Fi only KinTwo m
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

That support page details the Kin Two, the original, albeit failure that Microsoft/Verizon released. The phone you purchased is the Kin Twom, a modified feature phone from the original that was marketed as a smartphone. The original had the 'network' aka studio/spot/loop, while the m models do not, mainly because you bought a 'feature phone' (no data required) and not a 'smartphone' (which the original kin phones required..and that led to their demise, seeing their inferiority to other smartphones). These features were 100% reliant on a perma-connection to the internet because of their online backup, which easily denotes why they 'had to' sell them as data phones originally. To do a little 'history', go ahead and google Kin Two and Kin Twom, and you'll get a broader knowledge of these phones and their differences. The re-released m models have gotten little to no attention from Verizon and MIcrosoft, which leads many of us to believe that they are only clearing warehouses and a huge surplus stock that they had from the original phones.

That being said, I own a Kin Twom, and i love it and it really is the best feature (non-data) phone BY FAR. I'm actually glad it doesn't have the 'social networking' interface and marketing that the originals did, i just want a regular phone with a great camera, qwerty, wifi, zune, etc. It has its quirks, but that is nothing to deter its great features. Almost all of the posts on this forum these days are regarding the Kin onem and Kin Twom, not the original models that were cancelled almost 7 months ago. Not to mention Microsoft announced it was shutting down its studio services the end of January..due to terrible sales figures (although Verizon did offer a 'compensation' to those original owners to replace the phones with any other smartphone, free of charge). The phones being sold today are the m model phones, although i have heard of a few 'straggler' original kin phones being sold at resellers, but it is highly unlikely that you have one of those originals, especially because that requires a data plan.

If you want some heavy reading, here is a review/FAQ/'should've been manual' that i wrote for the Kin Twom. It is long, but very informative about these phones, and will let you know the basics, as well as in-detail aspects of the phone, from a user's point of view.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Notes and the Kin Network for Wi Fi only KinTwo m
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

That support page details the Kin Two, the original, albeit failure that Microsoft/Verizon released. The phone you purchased is the Kin Twom, a modified feature phone from the original that was marketed as a smartphone. The original had the 'network' aka studio/spot/loop, while the m models do not, mainly because you bought a 'feature phone' (no data required) and not a 'smartphone' (which the original kin phones required..and that led to their demise, seeing their inferiority to other smartphones). These features were 100% reliant on a perma-connection to the internet because of their online backup, which easily denotes why they 'had to' sell them as data phones originally. To do a little 'history', go ahead and google Kin Two and Kin Twom, and you'll get a broader knowledge of these phones and their differences. The re-released m models have gotten little to no attention from Verizon and MIcrosoft, which leads many of us to believe that they are only clearing warehouses and a huge surplus stock that they had from the original phones.

That being said, I own a Kin Twom, and i love it and it really is the best feature (non-data) phone BY FAR. I'm actually glad it doesn't have the 'social networking' interface and marketing that the originals did, i just want a regular phone with a great camera, qwerty, wifi, zune, etc. It has its quirks, but that is nothing to deter its great features. Almost all of the posts on this forum these days are regarding the Kin onem and Kin Twom, not the original models that were cancelled almost 7 months ago. Not to mention Microsoft announced it was shutting down its studio services the end of January..due to terrible sales figures (although Verizon did offer a 'compensation' to those original owners to replace the phones with any other smartphone, free of charge). The phones being sold today are the m model phones, although i have heard of a few 'straggler' original kin phones being sold at resellers, but it is highly unlikely that you have one of those originals, especially because that requires a data plan.

If you want some heavy reading, here is a review/FAQ/'should've been manual' that i wrote for the Kin Twom. It is long, but very informative about these phones, and will let you know the basics, as well as in-detail aspects of the phone, from a user's point of view.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662

0 Likes
Re: Notes and the Kin Network for Wi If only KinTwo m
jelr2006

mmm, well that clears up a lot to bad the phone support page doesn't get half the news like that! There should be some disclaimer to the (m) model phone your purchasing. I totally agree on the phone packing the most punch for being a feature phone.

also any ideas on the Notes feature or why there is no support for that at all? I text my self important things, but it just isent the same:smileysad:

P.S... Just experienced first loss of of everything from the phone lock security, is there any contacts backup that can be done on the computer without the kin network. Its a windows phone will it do any manual uploads from my computer or zune, so I don't have to type each one in on my keyboard all day long?

0 Likes
Re: Notes and the Kin Network for Wi If only KinTwo m
Simplify

I use e-mail as notes.  It's not ideal but it's there and you can compose text on it whenever and wherever you happen to be.  I use .mac so my notes stay in sync between my mac and my KIN using wifi.  I named a folder in my e-mail notes so it's available from my KIN TWOm and my MacBook.  It's a workable work around.  

0 Likes