Re: Problem getting WiFi to accept my password
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I was at my friends tonight, and my phone connected no problem to her home network on the first try, and her router is set to WEP like my router.  Don't know why it connected to her router on the first time, and it took me a couple hours at my house to get it to connect to my router.  No devices have every had trouble connecting to my home network before.  My router is under my desk though, so maybe it is the weak antenna like you said.  I have very mixed feelings about this phone.  I'm totally up in the air about keeping it.  I LOVE  a few of the features like the Favorite Contacts Page, and I like how everything is accessible on the main page instead of having to go into menus. I like the bubbles that pop up when you get a text.  Getting on the internet on this cell phone, does not compare to the Itouch.  Much nicer interface on the itouch.  I really wish you could enlarge the text in emails on this phone like you can on the itouch.  I also noticed there's no notepad?  I was always entering notes on my Voyager, so that's a bummer. 

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

I am still having problems connecting to the WiFi at my house, but was able to get onto the WiFi at the mall today on the first try, and last night got onto my friend's wifi on the first try, no problem.  I've been able to connect to the Wifi at  my house only once.  All the other times it tells me I have the wrong password, but I'm looking at the password on my router, and I have it correct. It's a combination to important dates to me, so not hard to remember or type in.  Have no problem at all with any other device connecting to my wifi at home, so very strange.  But I'm happy it seems to be working elsewhere fine, because I was about to return the phone.  I really like a lot of things about this phone and I think they outweight the negatives.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I wish i could help you out, but i don't know the answer. I would say it was your own network, except you say your other mobile devices can connect to it, and i don't know much about networking and Wifi settings and security. The phone itself does work with wifi though, unless your device is faulty.

I have been able to connect to my home network and school network, but could not connect to my work network. That could be because they have additional security that i do not know about, but i'm not sure. It always finds my home network, and most the time finds my school network, but once it didn't auto-locate the school, and i had to manually type it into 'other'. It still connected though. The Kin does not pick up every connection that my laptop does: my laptop sees about 10 connections from home, and my phone only sees 3, that gives me the impression that their auto-search signal is relatively weak. I wish they provided an option to manually set the signal strength, but what can you do.

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

I was at a hospital last night, and connected to their network on the first try.  So far, I've tried to connect to 4 WiFi hotspots, and have been able to get to all of them except for my home network.  What is mindboggling to me, is why the error I'm getting at home is "invalid password".  I'm looking at the password on the router, so I know I have the correct password,  and it's only 8 numeric digits, so it's not like I've mistyped it every single time I've tried to connect, and I've tried about 20 times, and only got in once.  It detects my home network fine, just tells me the password is wrong.  Could it be that it doesn't like an all numeric password, or is putting some funky character at the end when I try to enter it?  I had to enter the password for my friend's home network, that I set up myself long ago, and I connected to her network fine. 

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

it could well be the all numeric password. Try adding a letter, or symbol to the password. I know, when i tried connecting to a buddy's wifi, and i heard his network name wrong, thinking it was all numbers, i couldn't even press the connect button.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem with a friends all numeric password as well. I can connect my home secured netowork (combo of letters and numbers) and numerous open networks.

Good thought on the all numeric. That could very well be problematic for this phone. If it were my home network, I would try to change it and see if that was actually the probelm, but since it isnt mine..I will have to rely on some one alse making changes and seeing if that works. Good luck and let us know if you change form all numerics and if it works!

0 Likes
denverguy

My home wireless router password is all numeric and I can connect and surf with no issues.

Sorry, but as with most issues, I believe it's user error.  Especially since they can connect with other networks outside of the home.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmm..thats good to know. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I typed the password in correctly...numerous times! :smileyhappy: So I either got it wrong all 48 times I tried, hehe, or there is another issue. But since you have an all numeric password, then it cannot be that. I will have to try again next time I am over there.

I am no techie nut, but I cannot see how different routers would come into play.

My home network is simple WEP. I believe my freinds is WPA2. 

Anyways. I will go back one day and make sure I am not the culprit.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Make sure you are shaking hands with the correct protocol.  It is possible to be using WPA2 (AES) on the router while trying to use WPA-PSK on the Kin.  Some routers can help out by supporting the combination of the two at the same time.

If the problem is past the password handshake, i.e. unable to get an IP address or open webpages, consider increasing the number of leases your DHCP server is providing and look to make sure you are not employing MAC address security, or if you are, to act accordingly and add your Kin's MAC address to the table.

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

Now that I think of it...my friend's home network that I could connect to fine, is also an all numeric password and is also WEP.

My Kin is detecting my network correctly as WEP which is what the router is set to.  I too would assume it was a user error if someone gave me the problem description that I'm giving, but how do you type in a 8 digit password a bazillion times, and get it wrong every single time except for one?   It's a combination of my birthday and my son's birthday, so it's not a hard number to remember or to type in, but thinking that maybe I changed it since I wrote it down, I verified the password on the router.   I had no problem on the first time typing in my friend's password correct.  LOL.   Again, when I removed the password and made my network unsecure, it connected fine.  I'm not sure...but I seem to remember my friend's router being a 802.11g and I know mine is 802.11b.  She has a LinkSys and I have a D-Link router.  Again....I really won't ever have a need to connect to my home network on my phone, but I was first really concerned because I was simply trying to test my new Kin's WiFi and thought it wasn't working.   I was about to return my phone, until I started testing other WiFi's and was able to connect fine.  At this point, I'm just trying to find the reason I can't connect at home, just for my own curiosity, and maybe to help others that might run into this problem.  I guess the next step to try, is either a alpha-numeric password, or try something other than WEP on my router.  I was just concerned if my phone couldn't connect to WEP, what will happen when I try to connect to other networks that are set to WEP, but since my friend's router is set to WEP and my Kin can connect to her network, that's not the issue.  Maybe my router is just too old, or maybe it needs a firmware update.  But why can every other laptop, Itouch, Iphone, Droid connect fine to my home network?  It's only my Kin that can't connect.  If you want a chuckle... I'm a Senior Network Analyst for a Billion dollar company and I support a global network with about 20 thousand routers and switches around the world.  You would THINK that I wouldn't be stumped by a simple problem like this!!  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes