Ringtones & Zune
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tried using Phonezoo.com to get ringtones.Dowloaded one to laptop,saved and e mailed to 2m.It asked to download,clicked yes,it sat saying downloading  for 20 minutes ,canceled it.is this normal for it to take that long? i did notice that when i saved it to my desktop,easier to find,that it saved it through Zune.could this be the issue? any help would be appriciated,really like phonezoo and their free tones.

0 Likes
Re: Ringtones & Zune
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Can I import my own ringtones?

No, but you may be able to purchase ringtones from your mobile operator’s website using your
computer. Any ringtones you purchase will be delivered to your phone via MMS. To assign these
ringtones, go to Apps > Settings > Sound > Melodies on your phone.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser's address bar.  
Make sure to verify device compatibility before downloading.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Isn't it a bummer when Verizon reps provide you with misleading information?

Yes, you can download ringtones from phonezoo, myxer, etc. In-general .mp3, .wav, .mp4 sound files ALL work with the Kin phones (and perhaps a few other file types, read the manual for the full list, these are just the common ones). It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, you 'emailed' it to your phone? Do you mean that you texted your phone through the email service (###@vzwpix.com)? That is the proper way to do it, and to my knowledge, the only way, through multimedia messages (from this self-email, or from another phone, or from the websites themselves). It could possibly be a 'data block' that is preventing the sound file from not being able to download. Picture messages don't use the actual DATA, that is charged extra, but it still uses a data connection, that if you block all data connections, it will completely block everything, including MMS.

However, i was under the impression that you  wouldn't even recieve the message if it was indeed blocked, which you did get. The problem you are having is when you press the 'save' button on the MMS, right? I have never encountered that before. It could've been a poor reception pocket that you were in, that didn't have the MMS-type connection at that time. Would you mind trying it again?

Also, i have no idea what you are describing when you say it is through Zune. When you email your number, you simply send an email through any provider (from a computer) to your phone number (verizon's MMS service # listed above), and then attach the sound file. For a 'ringtone', in general, it will be down below 30 secs, but i'm sure a larger sound file would transfer in the same way, it jsut wouldn't ever fully play when your phone rang.

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

i use phonezoo also and changed my phone to not listed phone selection since its not on there. i recive them just fine.

but if your downloading the ringtone to your pc and saving it to your desktop then try this. Go to your email client, put in your phone number in this format (yournumber@vzwpix.com) and add an attachment and add your downloaded ringtone. Send it off and give it a minute or two then you should recieve it. This works for me, maybe you too?

zune is for music, videos and pictures, zune recononizes the ringtone file but zune can't tell whats a ringtone and what is not, so if you drag that file to your phone it will add it as 'music'

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I also just use the emailing to your phone process. It is much easier in my opinion, and for my own 'security', paranoia sakes, I never want to disclose my number to anywhere that i don't know of. These ringtone sites included, you never really know how honest they are about their privacy statements, so for all you know, they could easily be distributing your number to advertisers and such. But again, thats just my paranoia; no one gets my number, unless i know them personally, or it is an actual form of an organization that i know and trust (and that doesn't include ringtone websites).

0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

havent tried it again yet.only have the 250 text plan and was close to 250 for my cycle.what i meant with Zune is,when i saved the tone to my pc,saved it on desktop so i could find it quickly to attatch,and i open it from the desktop short cut,it opens it through the zune software i dowloaded when i got the twom.will try it again and let you know!

0 Likes
silentwolfrt
well the only reason its opens with zune is because the ringtone is in a format that zune recognizes as a song, such as .wma or .mp3 or .wav ....ect.
0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, opening with zune is only by default opening it with a player (Zune). When you installed zune, you must've checked the 'make zune my default player' box, but it really isn't any different from windows media player, iTunes, etc.  The thing you are transferring to your phone via MMS is the actual sound file (aka ringtone), and that is completely independent of whatever player your computer uses to play it. I was noting, that you can't transfer the ringtone through Zune, it will go to the phone, but it will only be recognized as a music file (in the Zune player), not as a ringtone.

0 Likes
bobu1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

tried it again the other days with same results.asked if i'd like to download a message,tapped accept.sat for 30 miutes saying downloading.had 3 out of 5 signal bars.was a different tone than i tried before.have sent and recieved pic messages before with the kin two.still not sure what the issue is.when i attatched it to my home email to send to my phone at the my# @ i noticed the email had the zune logo next to the ring tone name.still thinking that since its saved on my laptop through zune,that has something to do with it.any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

well it sounds like you are able to send the file to your phone, but the reason that may explain why its taking so long may be becasue of the size of the ringtone file. (right click on the file and click properties) and see how large the file is. I say if its about 2 or 3 megabytes in size then it may be too big, usually i try to get the smallest file size possible (ive had 1 megabyte work fine). 1 or 2 megabytes may not seem like alot, but for a phone thats a big file to send over the air. It may take a long time or it may freeze the phone and seem like its trying to download when in reality it can't receive the file. This happens to me sometimes too, so check the file size and make sure to limit its length to less than 30 seconds.

I have also discovered that some email services send the files better than others, like i found that yahoo sends the files better than hotmail or gmail. This is after i sent the same files from all 3 (yahoo, hotmail, gmail) and yahoo seemed to work the best, it was the quickest and delivered a better quality sound. You can try a different email if you have one.

0 Likes