Sync and transfer with a computer question
CLdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Im in the market for my 2 year replacement and Im thinking about the Kin Two M. I was curious if anyone has tried to sync the calender in the phone with Outlook or tried the sync with Outlook thru Zune?

I have read different ways to access your Outlook calender from Windows live and the internet, but I would like to be able to transfer the data via a cable connection to my computer if possible.

The 2M has all the features that Im looking for talk/text, camera, WIFI, and calendar. All the reviews that I can find are for the Kin 2 but nothing on the 2M. If you have any comments good or bad I would like to hear them.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Sync and transfer with a computer question
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Here's all my comments:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-TwoM-Review-FAQ-Q-amp-A-troubleshooting-etc/td-p/347662

Long review i wrote a while back, but i hope its helpful. Good luck on getting the phone that you are looking for! I'll put in a good word for the Kin 2m, but decide for yourself!

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

i have had no such luck getting the calander to sync with the KIN twom. zune software only manages music, videos, photos, and music licenses.

0 Likes
CLdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I made the leap and  go the Kin 2m today, so far so good, and the review that you did was one of the deciding factors for me to get it. Thanks again for all the help.

However it was funny at the Verizon store, I spent more time convincing the salesman to sell me the phone then it took to transfer my old contacts.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Why did it take a while to get them to sell it to you?

And also, did you auto-transfer them at the store, or manually one-by-one? Because when i went in to re-transfer my contacts (i got a warranty replacement), i was informed that they no longer had the machines to transfer contacts through direct-connection of the old and new phones.

0 Likes
CLdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think that it took so long because the guy was almost offended that I was switching from a smartphone to a feature phone. He kept on and on about the operating system, the lack of fwd text messages, and customizing, and he said that it is one of the most returned phones that they get. I had a retort to all of his arguments with things that I read in your blog and from video reviews that I watched.

I do believe his distaste for the phone had to do with his lack of knowledge for the phone and his bias for the droid phones.

They transferred all my contact in the store, he took my Omnia (old phone) and the Kin to the back and was done in a matter of a couple of minutes. How ever they do it has to do with a program that was in the My documents folder of my Omnia.

Im still trying to find a bulletproof way of accessing the internet via WiFi and disabling the 3g connection. I went to my account online and blocked the data connection but that eliminated the WiFi hook up too. For now Im just using the airplane mode, any suggestions?

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

He wasn't going on because of his bias for Droid phones, he was doing it because of the $30 lost/month from the data plan. But i will say, there was absolutely nothing wrong with his argument...Droid phones are way better than Kin phones. His failure to even address the fact that it costs the extra mulah is where i would just disregard him as a salesman. Its that simple: Droids are smartphones, they darn well better be better than the Kins. If i could get an android without a data plan, i would be all over it.

I guess i was falsely informed by the Verizon employee that they removed the machines from all their stores, but it wouldn't be the first time. Verizon and other major companies need to take a step back and realize that superior customer service really pays off in the long run, even if they lose a few pennies here and there right now. Its pretty obvious Verizon doesn't like the Kin phones as feature phones, they didn't spend a penny marketing them, they hid them away in the back without a single display phone, and they are doing this because of its superior functionality as a feature phone. But..who can blame them.

When blocking data, it should have absolutely no effect on the wifi connection. The wifi connects through a different network, so no matter what you block on Verizon's side, it shouldn't disable wi-fi. What could be the problem, is at the time when you disabled data and tested the wifi, you might not have actually had a wifi connection at the moment (even though your phone display said you did).

If you disable data, that is as bulletproof as it gets. There are 2 ways to do it: from Verizon's end, and from the phone's end. Via Verizon, you can do it online, over the phone, and in-stores. This can be done in a fashion that MMS are still functional.  You can also disable data (all data) on the phone, through its programming menu. however, with this method, you will also block MMS, but if you don't ever use it or don't plan on using MMS, you won't lose anything. 

Just from my personal end, i disabled data through Verizon in a store. They successfully did it, and i have had no data charges, no connection to the 3G network (the icon will still appear, but you won't be able to send/recieve from it, the browser won't load pages, etc), and multimedia messages still work. Hope you find a solution to your data blocking/wifi connection.

0 Likes
Ohiooldschool

Its great that he even transferred your contacts. I took mine in and he told me it was impossible to do. He said he has tried everything. I asked him if he had 'cell brite' software...he looked confused and said he could not do it.  I felt like I was being 'fluffed off' a bit because it was not a droid or othe rsmart phone. Still looking for a way to transfer my contacts in. I have read about the way to do it in Zune...can't get the correct screens up. I tried emailing my contact list ....won't open the files. I manually entered a good portion of them, but not all.

Reading the forums speaks of calling the internal 'program' and importing contacts through it. Still unsure of how that works ....hoping someone will go into more detail on that post.

So far I like the phone..it has its quirks, but they all do at times. Seems as though a sortware update would be a nice addition to fix the little bugs. I have not been able to add my hotmail contacts either yet. Followed manual, but nevwe got the screens they mentioned. I will keep trying.

0 Likes