The Kin is dead. Long live the Kin
JericA
0 Likes
Re: The Kin is dead. Long live the Kin
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't see it / them yet on the Feature phone list on the website...it doesn't mean they won't be there in the future.
0 Likes
WoodyWindy
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is on the feature phone list now, as Kin ONEm and Kin TWOm ("m" probably signifying "modified"). They've been lobotomized to drop the loop, stuio, and spot.

The real question is, do we get to keep the goodness on ours, and can we step down to a less expensive plan in the process?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I predict the Kin devices will do well in the feature phone category. Who wouldn't love a feature phone with Wi-Fi and a 5 or 8mp camera?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm sure the camera will work without the data plan, but what about Wi-Fi? The major selling points for the Kin1 and Kin2 will ONLY work via the web browser, so although a data plan does NOT seem to be REQUIRED, much of the advertised functionality is not going to be there unless you have a data plan.

At least now we have the option of 150 MB for $15, still expensive, but much easier to take than 25 MB for $9.99.
0 Likes
djjim

Why wouldn't Wi-fi work?  Data plans have nothing to do with Wi-fi.  Is it true that there is no calendar?  Really?  That makes no sense.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You are correct, djjim ... I did read in a review that there's no calendar. I also read in one review that the browser is no better than on other feature phones. However, how much browsing would a user do on a screen that small (referring to the Kin One)?

In my opinion, for the low cost to purchase and the low cost per month, it could be a pretty good deal. The Kin One can be purchased for $120 off contract, which is less than some feature phones on a one-year contract!

I did do a "trial" purchase online, and I was NOT able to get past the added features page without adding either the $15 or $30 data plan. I'm hoping that is a glitch and this does not require even the $15 plan, especially considering it's in the feature phone section and does not indicate a data plan is required. 

0 Likes
Disco63
Contributor - Level 1

SydneyK wrote:

I did do a "trial" purchase online, and I was NOT able to get past the added features page without adding either the $15 or $30 data plan. I'm hoping that is a glitch and this does not require even the $15 plan, especially considering it's in the feature phone section and does not indicate a data plan is required. 

I just spoke to a Verizon rep regarding the new Kin ONEm  and Kin TWOm.

Even though the site is requiring a minimum $15 data plan for these devices, it is not correct.  The site is in error.  She said that once you receive the phone, call them and they will remove the data plan.  Or you can wait until they fix the site.

Wow, a phone with an 8mp camera and no data plan required!  I'm in!

My question, can I use the wifi without having a data plan?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Thanks, Disco63 ... you saved me a phone call!

I don't see any reason you can't use Wi-Fi without a data plan. Think of the iPod Touch or an iPad without 3G ... you can use those as long as you're in a Wi-Fi area.

0 Likes
ksavage68

This is cool. Right now i have a Samsung feature phone that I want to replace with the Kin2. Really digging the no data required now, as i use mostly wi-fi as it is, and just text people when im out. I have a small data plan for feature phones now, so im hoping my monthly bill will be even cheaper. However my current plan doesnt expire until March 31, and the site is showing that my cost for a one year plan will be 119.00 which is fine, does anyone know if Verizon will charge me that early terminatation or upgrade fee if i get the Kin2 now? I was kinda under the assumption that i would have to pay FULL price for the phone which is out of my budget. Can anyone help? I cant call Verizon because im hearing impaired. thanks!!

0 Likes