Two part text messages
lolek

Why does the KIN split text messages into two parts? Then it sends a msg to the sender about it. Is there a setting to get rid of this annoying problem?

0 Likes
Re: Two part text messages
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Some phones do not allow text messages longer than 160 characters. My BlackBerry splits long messages into two plus a message like you're describing. The only solution is to keep in kind that SMS stands for Short Message Service.
0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The Kin phones automatically split messages into 160 characters, like Sydney said. Personally, i love that it does this. My old phone didn't, and that was the worst, where it would send you the replyback message that it was over 160 characters and would only send the first 160. One thing i don't get though, is that it even splits texts to other verizon customers into 160 character messages, although verizon-to-verizon messages can be up to 1000 characters. I don't know why you are getting that message back, i never get a message back, it works flawlessly like auto-breaking of texts works with most other phones these days. Do note, that if you have unlimited texting, there is no problem and it is a huge blessing of the phone, but if you don't, the be aware that texts greater than 160 characters will be broken and charged as more than one text. Like Sydney said, SMS stands for short messaging system, so keep your texts short. It is a little bit of a bummer that the phone doesn't display the number of characters in the text like every other phone, but its dealable (by now i've memorized about how long on the text lines 160 characters is).

0 Likes
lolek

Thanks for the replies. It's my daughter's phone- her friends are long-winded, I guess.It is a good feature, if you consider that the message you receive could be truncated, and then you never read the rest. The strange part is that the Kin sends a message to the sender to alert that the message has been sent in two parts. 

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I get that third message too, announcing "preceding message has been modified." What a waste of a text message, right? (I don't have unlimited texting, like I suppose most teens do these days.)

0 Likes
debiq

Fisharefriends wrote:

"Do note, that if you have unlimited texting, there is no problem and it is a huge blessing of the phone,"

Hi Fisharefriends, my entire family and myself had to have missed something for the last few years because we've always had unlimited texting but still have our messages broken down to 160 characters even to each other within our plan! :smileymad:. What did we miss? Is there a setting we never knew about?

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

debiq, the messages will be broken up to 160 characters regardless. What i meant by there is no problem, is that you have unlimited texting, so it isn't like you are going to go over your texting limit. With any mobile device, the SMS limit on characters is 160. However, with verizon-to-verizon, you can send up to 1000 characters. With the Kins, it will break it up anyways, even if it is a verizon customer, and that is the one downside. The main thing that the Kins are missing are the standard Verizon 'character counter', so you don't quite know when you are moving on to another text. I personally don't know too many of the people i text's service providers, and even if i did, i wouldn't make too much of it, so it isn't a big deal with me. And assuming the person on the recieving end is verizon, even with the smallest texting plan, they get unlimited Verizon-to-verizon messaging. Look at the plan specifics located on the Verizon webpage if you want specifics, but most of them do have this.

What i meant by it is a huge blessing, well that is in comparison to my old phone. My old phone would send messages to other verizon customers just fine, up to 1000 characters, but hte problem was when i texted over 160 characters to non-verizon customers (which is the majority, considering there's at&t, t-mobile, and sprint who are all also major national services), what it would do is simply send the first 160, and then send me an auto-reply saying that the message was over 160 characters. I would then have to manually re-send the other half of it, and especially if the message was really long, with no copy-paste features on non-smartphones coupled with a really slow backspace repeater, you can imagine how much of a pain it was to deal with this. On hte Kins, you just text away, and even if you're over 160 characters, it will automatically break it into multiple texts for you and send them all. SMS (simple messaging system) always were limited to 160, but with MMS (multimedia messages aka picture messages), you can send up to 1000 to any provider; however, there are a lot fewer people that have MMS plans, so i would avoid sending picture messages as a replacement for regular messages.

I'm sorry for the poor wording in the info i stated before.

0 Likes