USB Cable
BruceG

Is there anything special about the USB cable supplied with the phone?  I would like to keep the existing cable with the charge adapter at home and keep a second cable with me to connect to my computer while not at home.  If I pickup a standard USB cable with the right size connector would that be be compatible with the phone, and provide both connectivity and charging (via the computer USB port)?

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Likes
Re: USB Cable
fredl11

I've noticed on my Kin One that the connection looks different then a standard USB cable.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The Kin uses micro USB. Older phones sometimes have mini USB or their own proprietary ports, but micro seems to be standard on most new Androids, BlackBerrys, etc. You should be able to use another micro USB cable.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Regarding the USB cables, the are all identical. You don't have to worry about  damaging anything with any standard micro USB cable (the head that the Kin phones use, as well as most phones these days). However, do check on the USB-to-wall chargers, or to-car chargers that you connect it to. Most of them have their ratings and supplies printed on them, and you will notice 2 things: amperage (current) and voltage. They should all have the same inputs (otherwise they wouldn't be 'wall' chargers, or 'car' chargers, because your wall outlets are default, etc), but their outputs will vary.

I think the default Kin wall charger is a .2 A and 5V charger; most of them are in a close range (some others i have a home range to ~.15A, 4.8V, etc). As far as damage to the phone goes, i will not ensure my words, but i will comment on practical effects: in general, you will not cause damage to the phone. Power is voltage*current, and if you supply too much power, you could burn out components in the phone. If you supply too little power, you could damage the battery, with it not retaining its 'full charge' on a full charge. However, since most chargers differ in such small magnitudes, i personally don't worry about either of those, and i use 3 different chargers for the phone anyways (one for home, dorms, car).

When comparing the outputs, always compare back to the original charger, which again, i believe is .2A and 5V, someone confirm this. I'd always check a charger that you haven't used with a device before, if it is in the same range, but i wouldn't give too much thought or worry if they are only different by a little bit.

0 Likes
BruceG

Thank you for the very detailed and helpful replies.

Bruce

0 Likes
dsonyay
another thing to remember is if you have a car charger with a standard usb plug, you can go to radio shack and get a converter plug that plugs into the standard usb end and drops it down to micro. I did that with my old Blackberry car charger when i bought my kin2. Worked like a charm. costs abot 10 dollars US.
0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Along the lines of car chargers: I also by default have just a car-charger-to-usb adapter. There isn't really any reason to buy car chargers anymore in my opinion, they always cost more and are less universal. Almost every device you can think of has a usb connector that comes with it because most devices connect to computers this way anyways, so just having a usb adapter in the car works wonders. I was really glad that when i got the phone, the wall charger was just a usb adapter too, and it came with a standard micro usb cable. Saves you the trip and money to buy any adapters, and the same cable can be used 3 different places: wall, car, and computer. Good job Verizon, whenever you made this a standard among your phones (i know my old phone just came with a mini-usb charger, so it was within the last couple of years), I'm glad you put the customer before the accessory corporations (albeit, you sell many accessories yourself and are thus taking a minor hit, so double thanks).

0 Likes
BruceG

In looking at the specs on the included charger element I see the following:

Input:  AC 100-240v, 0.2A

Output:  DC 5v 1.0A

So, yes the charger is 0.2A and 5v, but that's input and output ratings - what do I need to look for on a universal Car to USB adaptor?

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, i was just pulling numbers out of my memory. THe output is indeed 5V 1.0A. Those are the values that lead to the power that goes into the phone (output..).

As for input, it says the following simply because that is the output of a standard wall socket (120V AC, low current, 60 Hz), at least in the US, and pretty much any charger will work with that 'standard', as goes for car chargers.

Input-wise, if it is a car charger, unless it has a critical design flaw, car charger amperage and voltage is pretty standard to my understanding so you shouldn't ahve to worry about that. What you will have to pay attention to is the output (what goes to the phone) voltage and current. That being said, like the above post states, you really shouldn't have to worry too much about it: minute changes won't make too much a difference, so if it is relatively close to 5v and 1.0A, you should be good. Also like stated above, i would recommend getting a basic car-to-usb car charger, and then just directly using a usb-microusb cable to charge from that (since all usb ratings are very close, too).

They sell them in stores, as well as online which will likely be cheaper, but they're all pretty basic technologies. I'm linking a charger from amazon just to give you an idea, but don't take my word for it cause this is just the first one i clicked on and it may not be the cheapest one. Just search amazon and find one that is cheapest, or they even sell dual usb car chargers (although i find no reason for this cause you really shouldn't be that plugged into technology..).

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Charger-Vehicle-Adapter-Sprint/dp/B003QRBIVO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=129...

turns out this one i linked is $.14+$3 shipping, so i doubt you'll find one cheaper. notice how its output is 5V, 700 mA (.7A), which is close enough to 5V 1A in my books. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
BruceG

Thanks....I stopped at a local Frys Electronics and I picked one up on sale for $5.  It's a dual port USB charger - 5v output and 2A - 1A per port so it sounds as if it's exactly the same spec as the OEM one included.  I also picked up an extra USB - micro cable; I think I'm set. 

Thanks very much for the assistance.

Bruce

0 Likes