WARNING!: $7000 KIN data charges when using Wifi!!!
myquie

Yesterday I got a text from verizon saying I had excessive data charges, so I logged into my account to find I owed them over $7000!!! I called and talked to 1 rep that told me they still charged for wifi. I knew that wasn't correct so I called again and got a different rep that said she could reduce my bill to $300. Still not acceptable so I aksed to speak to a manager who told me I could pay the $7000 or the $300. Those were the only 2 options I had and I should take the lesser amt because that was quite a savings! Are you kidding me? I have wifi enabled on my KIN. It shows on the KIN that wifi is connected to my netgear router. How can I prove I did not use this data?

I have since blocked data. Wish I had known this when I got the phone last month! I did not check my data usage at all since I haven't used it but maybe 3 times when I first got the phone to see how it worked. All I did was add my email. Nice how they finally send a warning after $7000 in charges have occurred!

After emailing to ask for a correct bill to be sent showing the new amt of $300 owed, I got a response this morning telling me they could discount the $7000 by 25% since I have been "our valued, loyal customer for many years". What happened to the $300 bill?

If you have this phone or are planning on getting one, immediately log on and block all data or you will be charged even if you are using wifi.

Please post your story if you have had the same problem. I have found other similar posts. Verizon will keep railroading customers if we do not speak up. Don't let them charge you for data you did not use!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: WARNING!: $7000 KIN data charges when using Wifi!!!
ohyeahobrien
Enthusiast - Level 3

I myself have the Kin Two M, and thankfully was warned of this issue before actually receiving the phone. ANd the problem is while you're using wifi, you're still connected to Verizon's 3G services, and if you do not disable them when you are browsing, you will use both the internet connection from your router and the cellular towers. You have to disable the 3G services of the phone, and then use Wi-FI. And go with the $300. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
myquie

I don't know why this is marked "solved". Nothing has been solved.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Well technically,  this has been solved. If you do not want ridiculous 3g charges, you need to disable it by blocking data on your kin phone. Honestly, I still have no idea how you could have incurred this amount of data. I use the phone's browser  almost everyday, wifi and 3g and I have used roughly 30 mb in one month. And that includes streaming videos and music on the phone.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

It is marked solved, because you marked it as solved. The only one who can check them as solved is the original poster. Whether you did it on accident or not, i don't know. It appears as a button similar to the 'reply' button, and you might've mistakenly pushed it thinking it was the reply button.

0 Likes
qland4

I am having the same problem - when I ordered the phone I was assured the kin worked like a ipod - wifi is free - I did not want the data package as I do not really use the internet on my phone - I was shocked upon receiving a $1,600.00 bill - and when I ordered the phone I asked them to make sure the internet was blocked on my account so that I would not access it in error when I got the new phone -I have called and written to verizon 3 times - getting threatning calls about interupption in service and they agreed to take of $27.11 from my bill!! Help me please!!

0 Likes
rich215
Enthusiast - Level 3

Man......this is terrible.   With such large data billed, I'm wondering if your phone was constantly sync'ing your email app?  Check your email settings on the phone and look at the "Sync Frequency" settings. Make sure they are all set to manual, and the "Days to Sync" set to 1. Only other reason for such high charges would be using the browser and not actually having the data blocked which results in the phone falling back on to 3G network instead of WiFi if the WiFi is not available or turned off. 

Make sure your data is blocked by the phone settings, and also on your account.  With the ability to easily control your own account settings via logging on to your account online, you should be able to monitor and makes changes instantly.  I was highly paranoid about my account settings for all the phones on my plan long before I got this phone.  I had realized after a year or so, the Verizon CSR did not do what I had asked via a phone conversation to a few settings on my plan. When I started to use the online service to control my account 6 months ago, I had discovered that what I had instructed the rep to do....was actually never done!   So now, I always log on maybe at least once a week to check everything with minutes used and any data charges.  

Hope you 2 get all that sorted out......good luck!

0 Likes
taxpro

Well it seems this is a common problem for us that make the assumption that you can pick whether you want to use wifi or the verizon network.  I got my phone wednesday and when i checked the usage the next day it showed data charges.  I like everyone else called when i got the phone to make sure i was using it properly.  yes there seems to be some misinformation you get when you call.  the one guy said that if he blocks data it will also block wifi which is NOT true.  that is why i didn't put the block on initially.  i called verizon when i noticed the data charges (didn't note the amount of charges though but it was only slightly green).  upon contacting the verizon folks the gentlemen told me that i show 250mb of data )250*1.99 per + 500.00.  my husband was going to shoot me.  they told me that they would credit it but i had to wait until the charge was billed, not soon enough for me, might as well start writing my eulogy.  the second and third person i spoke with assured me that the charges would be credited and sent me a text to verify.  finally after 4 hours i learned that the data charge was .25 not 250 that the early gentlemen read it wrong.  Lucky for me i will now be able to live another day (it is a good story anyway).  i now have the data block on and my wifi works fine.  for anyone that has not used the internet before and has no idea how much data is used should monitor their accounts frequently so that problems can be addressed immediatley.  don't wait to the end of the month.

One last question does anyone know how to get a normal ring tone on the phone, i can hear the melodies loud enough

0 Likes
Squallfyr
Contributor - Level 3
WOW.....my thoughts on this device just went sour XD
0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's really not all that complicated. Go to your online account; choose to manage service blocks. We have all services blocked (check all boxes) except text/pic/video messages. No animated messaging! Unless you uncheck these services, you will not be charged for data.

Also, make sure you lock the phone after using the phone or else you may find plan overages. My daughter racked up $140 extra charges in minutes because she wasn't used to the touch screen and didn't realize she was dialing.

And for a couple years our account was incurring $1.99 monthly & here and there, but I never knew why. I didn't know about blocking data services.

0 Likes