Re: WARNING!: $7000 KIN data charges when using Wifi!!!
4LC4PON3

edited for my own reasons

0 Likes
sratchford

I've just gottne the Kin one and I can't block data for some reason, it says it cannot complete the request or something to that effect.

I hate having to call reps, it takes forever and they always try to change your mind!

Anyone know what else i can do?

EDIT: I may have solved it, it won't work to select BLOCK ALL DATA because it says it conflicts with some other settings but if you go to each one (except pic messages) it will do it.

I just tried syncing my email and apparently it's still using 3g, I wonder if the changes take effect after restaring the phone?

0 Likes
baubillious
Enthusiast - Level 3

From my experience, I did the service block and "Block All Data Services" it said there was conflicting issues but I went ahead anyway. The conflicting issues were all the "Pay-Per-Use MB" and other per-MB data plans feature phones have. They will just get rid of those, and to my knowledge I haven't been charge for using data at all.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for your feedback. Adding to what was stated, the device itself would normally use 3G coverage if available in the area. If making changes to some of the settings on the device, sometimes restarting the phone is not required for the changes to take affect. The device itself does not have a way to block all the data unless you enable the Airplane/ Standalone mode. This mode blocks access to calls, data and texting because it blocks the connection to Verizon Wireless. To regain access to the Verizon Wireless to allow access to your calls, texting and data, the Airplane/ Standalone mode would need to be disabled on the device.

For more reference, please use this link to be assisted with the Kin One:  http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5290&m=

0 Likes
sratchford

Thanks for your reply although I did try to proceed anyway when it says blocking data interferes with those services but I am not able to get it to go through on the site- it just says it's not available at this time.

Guess I'll have to wait on the phone for an hour again til I can talk to a live person. I think they make it hard to get someone on purpose.:smileymad:

baubillious wrote:

From my experience, I did the service block and "Block All Data Services" it said there was conflicting issues but I went ahead anyway. The conflicting issues were all the "Pay-Per-Use MB" and other per-MB data plans feature phones have. They will just get rid of those, and to my knowledge I haven't been charge for using data at all.

0 Likes
baubillious
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's odd it didn't work. Hve you tried again, the My Verizon site is EXTREMELY slow for me sometimes. It's too flashy when it should be simple and clean. But your over the phone is a safe bet. Just make sure they do it correctly! 

0 Likes
iBttrflyy

Wow, it's really funn cause I went to the verizon store yesterday and ordered my Kin phone from there, and I swear the rep there was arguing with me about everything that had to do with this phone. I read that they would do that, so I went in prepared. I've done SO much research on this phone it's not even funny. So I know that the data has to be blocked in order to not get {word filter avoidance}
by verizon. He sat there and argued with me for about 5 minutes about data not having to be blocked. I never agreed. Just ordered me and my husbands phones and left. I will be blocking data on my online account when I get them in the mail hopefully tuesday. :smileywink: It's sad because I believe the reps KNOW this phone very well. It's not that they don't know anything about it, it's just that they either want you to buy a smartphone and buy a data package, and if you still want the Kin, they're using the strategy of telling you that data doesn't need to be blocked in order to ring more money out of you blindly. What a wonderful customer service base. Unfortunately for the tard at the verizon store, I made HIM look like I could do his job better.

0 Likes
lavender
Enthusiast - Level 3

To block data from the phone itself (without having to contact vzw) through the hidden menu:

Go to "phone" then press ##77647266488. Press "call"

When asked for service programming code, enter 000000 then press "OK"

Scroll down and go to "Network Tools"

Go to "Network settings"

Then turn "Allow data connections" to OFF

Press the back button to exit.

This should prevent data charges from incurring and you wouldn't have to deal with silly customer reps. 😛

A better way for Verizon to do business would be to not allow data connections in the first place and enable it only for the people that buy data plans... but then again, if they did, they wouldn't be able to rip off $7000 from poor unsuspecting folks... 😛 it sometimes sucks to be a consumer

0 Likes
NewEngland

This is crazy!
I got this phone a month ago, exactly for its WiFi capability.
And now have to pay $40 for data. While each and every time I used internet browsing on this phone, I made SURE the school WiFi is available & activated.
Just learned that I need to ask them to block the data to avoid later charges.

(I even experimented not using my browser for a few days and there was 4MB data usage meanwhile, what is going on here???)
I think version should be SUED for this rip off. When they claim a phone on WiFi doesn't use 3G network, it shouldn't. Apparently it does, at least for KinTwo that I own.

Totally frustrating. I  very much dislike this carrier for all its rip offs. Sigh....

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

Do you have e-mail set up? If so, check your e-mail settings to make sure the synch frequency is set to "Manual".  Otherwise, your phone may be checking for and downloading e-mail while you're riding in your car, or wherever.  A few e-mails with large attachments can rack up quite a bit of data usage pretty quickly.

As far as browsing, do you make sure the WiFi settings specifically say "Connected to..." your school's network?  If it's stuck on "Connecting to...", or doesn't say anything in the box above the available network list, then you're not connected yet.  You also need to check periodically to make sure the WiFi signal hasn't been dropped.There are probably some places in your school where the WiFi signal is stronger than in other places.  In those marginal areas, you may drop the signal and not know it.

Basically, despite what some of the messages in this thread claim, the phone will always default to WiFi if it is available and connected. It will only use 3G if it cannot find WiFi, or WiFi is turned off.  I've had the phone for two months, and use both the browser and e-mail daily.  My first month, I had just 4MB of Verizon network data usage, and just 5MB the second month -- and most of that was from a couple of large e-mail attachments when I was not connected to WiFi.  The trick is to be very vigilant as to the status of your WiFi connection.

Or..if you really don't want to be able to use e-mail or the web when you're out of WiFi range, then you can indeed have Verizon block data usage for you.

0 Likes