Watching youtube videos on kin onem and twom
run61it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5I6-1SG6o4

Jump to 13:36 in the youtube video to see kin twom play youtube videos over WIFI.

Questions:

1) Can the kin twom play youtube videos over 3G?

2) Can the kin onem play youtube videos over WIFI or 3G?

0 Likes
Re: Watching youtube videos on kin onem and twom
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

Both phones have Premium HTML Browser and are Wi-Fi Capable to access youtube videos.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Really Ms. Shonata? So how do I download and enable flash on the KIN m's I have gone to Youtube and It directs me to download Flash...So this is good news from a "Wireless Employee" that we can do this. Can you give me direct instructions how I can download flash for our "premium" browsers?

Thanks!

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The phone cannot download Flash, or any other plugins, apps, etc. It also cannot open certain sites that require 'pop-ups', does not work with streaming tv/videos or online radio, skype, etc. YouTube does work with the Kin phones, that i can tell you. I believe it uses Javascript (or some other custom plugin microsoft put on) to play videos, and it opens Youtube videos 'through the zune player interface'. I do not know waht you mean by it directs you to download flash, could you be more specific? Do you have 'enable JavaScript' turned on in your browser settings?

As far as certain sites working and others not, that is fully dependant on the site, not the phone. If you are like me, and have never actually had a phone to browse the internet on, it may take a little getting use to which sites have mobile sites, or have fully functioning sites when accessed by a mobile device. It is not like a computer browser, i learned that quickly. It is quick to blame the phone, but most of it is not a Kin phone-related issue, it is a general mobile-internet issue. Only no downloading plugins and apps is phone-related..but if you wanted that, get a smartphone, this is not a smartphone. It costs more money. Whether this is a 'premium' HTML browser or not, that is marketing for you, and premium is a very flexible word. By their definitions, yes, it is a full browser, not just some simple verizon app that allows you to connect to their sites and a select few others.

To answer your question, play61it, yes, both devices can play youtube videos. 3G is verizon's network, and costs money (data plan, or pay-per-use), and Wifi is wireless connection to local networks, but both of them are essentially the same. Mind you, depending on the local WiFi network, if there is a block on a certain site from that network (say, a work or school network), it is still going to be blocked from your phone access, just like it would be from a computer.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah..I know it cannot download. I was being sarcastic.

As for the Youtube...I may very well be thinking of Vimeo and was being an idiot on that aspect...I am at work and cannot check. Good to hear about YouTube. I ll have to give it a rip again when I get home.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, its hard to tell sarcasm on text, my mistake.

It all depends on individual sites and whether they have been created to be compatible with the plugin that this phone uses (Javascript?). Originally, Youtube did not work on the iPhone once Apple blocked Flash, but because of the high usage of the iPhone and demand for Youtube, between Apple and Youtube, the created a custom plugin that you now can watch videos from.

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

No Worries! Even my reply to your reply was a bit sarcastic. I forget too that my dry "wit" does not translate well.

Well. I tried several times last night at home to get Youtube to work.(and this is WiFi only, I have data block enabled) I would click play video, it would start "loading" in the Zune player and then after a few (15 at the most) seconds at the most)  it would go back to the youtube web page, and on subsequent attempts it would give me an error message saying it "cannot play this video on this phone" right away. Hmmm. Javascript is enabled. Is there something I am missing?

0 Likes
owlpath

I have the Kin twom. Go to the browser and type in www.m.youtube.com and  you should be able to watch youtube videos there. I have success using my home broadband wifi. The video quality is fair. Nothing like those TV commercials showing video on smartphones. I ran the optomize link at the bottom of the www.m.youtube.com site and went through their 7 steps but didn't notice it as being any better.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately, i do not know why that is happening, dstor. THere are only a few settings in your control with this phone, and as far as i know, we covered them all. Youtube works fine on my end. The only thing i could see causing the problem, is from the wifi network. I am not a networking expert (nor do i know very much, for that matter), so that is as detailed as i know. Have you treid connecting to Youtube on different wifi connections?

0 Likes
Only plays once
soundessential

Unfortunately YouTube playback is buggy, it plays the first video you click on but not the following videos. To play more videos you have to lock the phone and unlock it to reset the player. Hopefully we can find a better solution.

Jerry

0 Likes