Re: Only plays once
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried another Wifi connection (not my home network that I normally use) and Youtube played just fine. Weird. I am no techie, so I will have to research to find out why.I have a newer router (D-Link) and no other computer in my home experiences trouble, so it is just the way my phone is communicating with the router. If anyone knows some specifics, let me know!

0 Likes
Re: Only plays once
vtruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

many many many factors can come into play with this, that is going to be the hard part about it. It could be your wireless router doesnt put out enough signal for your phone to pick up. I have a linksis wireless N router and my laptop gets full bars but my samsung fascinate only picks up one bar and thats only one room away. I mean the variables that could be impacting it could be multitudes of different things. Best thing i could suggest to be on the saffest side and get one on one direct right on the spot support would be to call from a different phone to tech support which is 1-800-922-0204 and choose option 3. sorry but without talking directly its too hard to pick one thing that could be affecting it.

0 Likes
Re: Watching youtube videos on kin onem and twom
kin_twom_user

I am having issues with youtube videos on my kin twom phone & was wondering if anyone here has a solution for it/seen the same issue.

At first - the phone would state some msg like - this video cannot be played on your phone. I saw quite a few threads with people stating this issue. But this one got resolved on its own no thanks to me.

But now the youtube video starts playing with no audio.. My sound settings was turned all the way up to 20. I tried dailymotion too thinking its just youtube-but faced the same issue there as well. Videos play perfectly fine but with no audio!

Any help would be apprceiated...Thanks!

0 Likes
Limestone

One thing that worries me about these phones is for when Adobe updates its version of flash--will it break all Youtube ability permanently? Hopefully not.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The kin phones don't even use flash, i believe (similar to how apple doesn't either). They use Silverlight, which is Microsoft's own version of a video player. Places like Youtube support multiple formats, and this is mostly due to the advent of Apple getting in a stubborn corporate war with Adobe and not supporting their formats. Couple that with the success of the iPhone/Apple, and many larger sites don't want to have their capabilities limited, so they just make their pages compatible with multiple plugins.

0 Likes
minmaster

how are some of you guys getting it to play at all?

i can't get anything to play...

it goes to the black loading screen and spits me back out to the previous page...

on some rare occasions it actually gives me the "cannot play this video on the phone" error message, but most of the time it's just spit back out...

from what i gather, it seems like it could be due to individual routers?

0 Likes
minmaster

ok, so i've been researching this youtube problem and i think i figured out what the issue is.

the mobile streaming protocol requires RTSP ports to be open and from what i gather, some ISPs block it and some routers don't support it or requires you to set port forwarding in order to open the RTSP port, which is 554. i've tried all night tinkering with my router and modem settings to allow RTSP (opening/forwarding port 554), but i was unable to achieve it for both my KIN and my desktop PC. this leads me to believe that my ISP blocks RTSP ports or my ancient router is the problem.

interestingly, i am switching my ISP from DSL (verizon) to cable later this week so i will try again with my new ISP to see if RTSP can be enabled. if it still doesn't work, i am going to have to assume that my router is the issue. not sure if i want to replace the router just to watch youtube videos on my phone though. probably not...

0 Likes
Plasticman

I am almost convinced that the problem is indeed router related. On my home network the Kin will not play any YouTube videos. Player comes up and then afer a few seconds goes back to the web page.

If I go to a local Wifi such as Starbucks, Panera's spot no problem at all playing videos.

0 Likes
minmaster

plasticman, if you don't mind, could you try opening/port forwarding port 554 for both TCP and UDP in your router settings?

or also even try putting the IP assigned to your KIN on the DMZ and try youtube? it should work in theory, unless the ISP has blocked the port which is also quite possible.

i tried opening port 554 but i can't gain access to it on any of my devices so i am leaning towards thinking its the ISP's fault.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the helpful info, minmaster. I must admit, i am quite router/networking-illiterate, so that information was very good (even i understood the general idea!). Let us know if that is indeed the case. But like plastic stated, I also believe 99% of the wifi issues are router-related, due to the types of connections that the Kin phones require. I can connect on campus, home, and a few friends' networks, but the only one that doesn't work to date is my work network.

0 Likes