Wifi + Power Issues
GoldenDave

I can't seem to find an answer to this.  If I use wifi on my phone and connect to someone else's network (like wifi inside of barnes and nobels), will I be charged data usage for any websites visited?  Dumb question, I know, but would love to use the wifi feature so long as im not being charged for data.

I am also having a problem with phone randomly turning itself off.  the phone will sit idle, lock, and then when I try to unlock it I will end up having to hold the power switch to turn it back on.  Is this a software problem and would I be able to swap it out under warranty?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi + Power Issues
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Using Wi-Fi will not incur data charges. The trick is in making sure you are using Wi-Fi and not 3G, if you don't have data blocked on your account. Some users have said they put the phone into airplane mode to ensure no data is used, but this does shut off the cellular radio, so you would not receive calls or texts until you turn off airplane mode.

I'm not sure what's going on with the shutting off. Sorry. I would think it is a software issue and should be replaced. It will only be replaced with a new device in the first 30 days. After that, you will probably get a refurbished device, so keep that in mind.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GoldenDave

I think I may have figured out the wifi issue, I don't believe that  I will be charged data, but a confirmation of this would be great. :smileyhappy:

Cannot seem to find anything regarding the power issue yet.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Using Wi-Fi will not incur data charges. The trick is in making sure you are using Wi-Fi and not 3G, if you don't have data blocked on your account. Some users have said they put the phone into airplane mode to ensure no data is used, but this does shut off the cellular radio, so you would not receive calls or texts until you turn off airplane mode.

I'm not sure what's going on with the shutting off. Sorry. I would think it is a software issue and should be replaced. It will only be replaced with a new device in the first 30 days. After that, you will probably get a refurbished device, so keep that in mind.

0 Likes
GoldenDave

Excellent, well I'll have to get in touch with VZ about the power issue, hopefully they can help.

Thanks for the answer!

0 Likes