email app makes no sense to me on either sync or folders
sdowney717

I have 2 email accounts set to sync manually

I just set up gmail, it connected, downloaded messages and shows the (labels)

however, nothing shows in some of them even though email is sitting in them. The inbox is properly filled.

there are 4 sitting in spam, but on the phone, this one is empty.

sent items on hotmail are empty. So see what i mean?

ALSO, sync. Right now I manually click sync and nothing happens.

ALSO personal hotmail folders are missing.

I have quite a few standard gmail folders and they showed up. I added a 'test' folder(label) in gmail. click sync to see if it shows and nothing.

the phone ought to say 'connecting' but does not.

I am on the wifi and can browse, so it is connected

0 Likes
Re: email app makes no sense to me on either sync or folders
sdowney717

I found out you can drag the screen sideways to view different accounts.

0 Likes
sdowney717

perhaps the way to force it to get mail will be to delete accounts and then recreate the account!

0 Likes
sdowney717

lets say your waiting on an email, so you think select sync. nothing happens so you can never get your mail when you want. I decided to set the sync to 15 minutes and see if it updates. right now the last sync was 2 hours ago and refused to manually connect. But you can see how unreliable this is. If i cant get it to work doing what a normal user would try, then the app is a fail. FAIL. ok?

0 Likes
sdowney717

I turned off the phone and restarted and now when I click 'sync', it connects. but it is very slow.

If you go to the browser and goto gmail.com. then yopu can sign in and see everything. I found you have to scroll down and select the folder labels you want to see. might have to click more.

Hotmail on the email app still refuses to show any personalized folders. So it is worthless to me. In fact the basic email app is pretty much worthless app on this phone and unreliable. I am surprised no one else complains about it being so awful.

0 Likes
sdowney717

Learning some more here on this app

GMAIL works ok. It displays my folders and my emails. It does  display my drafts.

It does display 'deleted items' separate from trash.

for some reason I have 2 draft folders showing in the phone list.

whoever wrote the gmail app part of this did a much better job than the hotmail app

and this is a windows phone.

I was wondering if I could setup hotmail on the phone using imap.

You can of course use the browser and favorite to your boxes with hotmail.

you might have to sync each folder individually instead of globally.

The hotmail app here is atrocious. you wont be able to read you mail if you sort it into folders upon receipt.

GMAIL works, sorting rules sort the mail and the folders show up in the list.

Should not have to be so hard.

0 Likes
sdowney717

one other bad thing about this app, you often cant see the content.

click on an email and you will get.

"cant display the message. Try viewing it from your computer or the browser on your phone"

likely cant display because of HTML in the email confuses the phone, this happens in gmail and hotmail.

so your productivity just went to zero fussing around with an app that cant display email.

so much for the usefulness of this email app

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The email app works fine for me (i use gmail). I think what is happening is you are getting lost with the 'days to sync' option. That option in email settings sets how many days back to sync your mail. You have the option to sync all mail, but i wouldn't recommend it, i bet it would take a very long time to sync (especially if your account is an old one). So, perhaps in some of those folders, you have no mail that is recent enough to be within what your phone is set to sync. I don't use the email app anyways, i'd rather just access it through the browser (or on a computer) but thats just me. If you want alerts to when you get email, certain email services allow you to do so (i know gmail does), and its just a simple text telling you that you have mail and the email (as simple as forwarding your mail to ###@vzwpix.com really..).

0 Likes
sdowney717

the hotmail app sucks raw chicken livers.

the gmail app does work except for some emails cant display.

Very sad seeing it is a windows phone they could not get it right.

I set it to sync at various settings including all. 600 messages took about 5 minutes into the hotmail inbox, but like I said it is worthless if you have email rules on your hotmail account as the phone does not display those folders.

personal folders using gmail the phone will display.

It might be possible to load hotmail as an imap account on this phone, dont know if that would show all the missing  folders.

whoever wrote it was brain dead. my hotmail account has a @msn.com extension, not @hotmail.com.

Cause I am on the inside.

0 Likes
sdowney717

as I was playing with this email app this AM, I got totally disgusted during the continual sync attempts as eventually the phone claimed to have over 3200 messages and I only have a few hundred. I ended up deleting the account and recreating it.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/pmxphone/thread/72b36830-d17f-438e-8fa1-2e27c462575...

here is another sad reply from a user and easily sums up why the phone was a failure.

0 Likes