email only with wifi when data block is on?
sdowney717

my old verizon LG8300 I could email pictures to people, no data plan on the phone.

On the kin2, I dont have a data plan and blocked data so the phone wont use mb connecting to the web

using verizon's network. It will connect if I am using a wifi network.

The kin2m wont send an email unless the wifi is on.

I am not talking about the EMAIL APP built in. I am talking about sending an email like you could do with the LG8300 typing in the email address and sending an attachment.

So will it work for you or have they taken this away for this phone?

0 Likes
Re: email only with wifi when data block is on?
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I believe you are talking about sending a multimedia message to an email. This does work, its as simple as making the recipient an email address instead of a phone number, as you said. What i believe happened with you, is that when you blocked data, you accidentally blocked everything. multimedia messages require connecting to a separate, albeit a data, network of verizon's. With my phone, all data is blocked, minus that 'picture message' network, so i can send multimedia messages to emails. I bet if you send an all-text message to an email, it will work, but just if you attach anything, it won't.

If you blocked data via the hidden programming menu on the phone, it will block everything, including MMS. If you did it in-stores, go back and let them know that you don't want to block MMS, but all other data. be specific, and let them know you know it is possible, not all reps know what they're doing, hope you get lucky with one that does. If you did it over the phone and customer service, same applies as to in stores, if you need to, hang up and call again and hopefully you get a more knowledgeable rep. If you did it via My Verizon online, i believe there is a setting to allow picture messages, but block everything else, i have not bothered trying this because i did it in-stores, but if you have registered, then it wouldn't hurt to check it out. In multiple places on these forums, there are posts about how to successfully do it online (sorry for not spending the time to find and link them for you, but they are numerous).

0 Likes
dsonyay

question:  if I sent an MMS or plain text to an e-mail address,, when they replay, will the reply go to "myphonenumber@vzwpix.com?  That's a neat way for me to maintain e-mail capability when not on wi-fi.  I've done the data block to prevent webdata usage, but I still have the text/MMS feature.  I also pay for unlimited text and MMS on our family plan.  So this would be a big help for me.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

to be honest, you could just try it out for yourself :smileywink: But yes, for texts, the recipient will see that it came from ###@vtext.com (###@vzwpix.com for mms). There is no name on the number, unless they previously saved it through their email. Then, it just depends on what they reply to. If they just push reply, it will just reply to the address it sent from, or that same verizon phone number.

Although i don't know many people that would want to consistently send emails to a phone number. Depending on your email service, some have the ability to just forward certain messages to your phone (via the ###@vzwpix.com number, or a direct phone number), and possibly reply via the email service, but accessed through texts (i know gmail can do the former, not sure about the latter)

0 Likes
sdowney717

Ok, thanks. We were sending it and pressing email not text/mms.

so mms was not blocked.

The picture attachments were ending up in the outbox of the email app so would not go until logged into a wifi hotspot. But sending mms they came thru fine.

0 Likes