has anyone found any way to read books on kin twom?
jhackman182

i know i ve seen someone ask this question but it wasnt really addressed the same way, has anyone found a way to read books on kin twom? whether it be through a google portal as i heard someone say, or any other way to do this, preferably without needing the wifi to use it (obviously i would assume you need the wifi to get it in the first place,but maybe not need to be connected to read?) if there is any way, even if throught an online prtsl, please let me know. also, please forgive me for my word usage, i am not by any means a technical person, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: has anyone found any way to read books on kin twom?
Dccellular
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently added an ebook called Planet of the Damned, to the Kin Twom .  Of course, this being a Kin, I had to get creative.  I found freeware called RasterBook to convert a html ebook to .jpg.  This allowed me to load the jpegs through Zune.  Now, when I go to camera -->albums, I can read the ebook.  

The way I figured out to do it:
1. Download the freeware RasterBook
2. Open notepad and type in the following: start RasterBook.exe --width 480 --height 320 --rotate 90 --overlap 20 --format jpeg

3. Save the file as kin.bat in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook 
4. Download a .html version of an ebook.  I found a free one (Planet of the Damned) at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page)
5.Double click on the kin.bat file.  This launches RasterBook
6. Open the folder containing the .html of your ebook. Drag and drop the .html file into the RasterBook window.

7.  Click on the button "Render Book" in the RasterBook window. 

8. You will see your .jpg files start to generate.

9. Finding the resulting .jpg files is a little tricky.  The RasterBook freeware kept throwing the ebook .jpgs in the folder C:\Users\<your username here>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook or C:\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to where the hundreds of jpg files save to.

10. Once you find your.jpg files load them using Zune to your Kin.

11.  Then go to camera --> albums and you should be able to find the book.

12.  To read each page of the book swipe the screen to the right or the left to advance to the next page in the book.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Dccellular
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently added an ebook called Planet of the Damned, to the Kin Twom .  Of course, this being a Kin, I had to get creative.  I found freeware called RasterBook to convert a html ebook to .jpg.  This allowed me to load the jpegs through Zune.  Now, when I go to camera -->albums, I can read the ebook.  

The way I figured out to do it:
1. Download the freeware RasterBook
2. Open notepad and type in the following: start RasterBook.exe --width 480 --height 320 --rotate 90 --overlap 20 --format jpeg

3. Save the file as kin.bat in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook 
4. Download a .html version of an ebook.  I found a free one (Planet of the Damned) at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page)
5.Double click on the kin.bat file.  This launches RasterBook
6. Open the folder containing the .html of your ebook. Drag and drop the .html file into the RasterBook window.

7.  Click on the button "Render Book" in the RasterBook window. 

8. You will see your .jpg files start to generate.

9. Finding the resulting .jpg files is a little tricky.  The RasterBook freeware kept throwing the ebook .jpgs in the folder C:\Users\<your username here>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook or C:\Program Files (x86)\RasterBook.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to where the hundreds of jpg files save to.

10. Once you find your.jpg files load them using Zune to your Kin.

11.  Then go to camera --> albums and you should be able to find the book.

12.  To read each page of the book swipe the screen to the right or the left to advance to the next page in the book.

0 Likes
blablablablabla

Kindle For Web (Here)

That is a main page for Kindle for Web. I just activated my Kim One today and I was able to read Kindle for Web (the free version) for wireless (Beta). They also have a free Windows 7 device linked there that looks like it would work even better. When I clicked that it took me to the Zune page so I think you need to download the Zune software to get that?

It also says something about being able to email a book that you are reading to someone else, so that could be another option.

I like how you can preview the first chapter for free on a Kindle device except I usually end up purchasing newer books because they tend to have cliff-hangers. Amazon also has a large inventory of free and very inexpensive downloads available.

0 Likes
hruodland

I've just tried this, and it seems to work well. Thanks for posting it! Some comments:

• Avast antivirus thinks RasterBook is a dangerous program, and Ad-Aware identifies it as a Trojan. It seems to have been in use since 2007, apparently without problems, so I assume those are false positives. Anybody know anything to the contrary?
  • If you convert Gutenberg html e-books using this method you have to delete the first tag about DOCTYPE, the stuff before you get to "<html ...". Otherwise the pages will come out all black. (I got that solution from the discussion forum on the RasterBook website.)
  • Also, it helps to do things in order--first convert the book, then stick the images in a directory in the "My Pictures" directory or whatever Zune looks at for you, then connect your Kin Twom so it'll sync. If you connect first, then add a directory, then put images in it, then change the images, etc. etc. etc. your device can get confused and things display in the wrong order.
  • I've just started to use the Kin Twom, and I'm pretty clumsy with the photo album display. I hope I get better, or there are some tricks I don't know about. As it is it's manageable.
0 Likes
hruodland

Another couple comments:

• The easiest way I've found to navigate in books is to divide each book into separate folders, TitleOne for the first hundred pages, TitleTwo for the second, and so on. That way it's a lot easier to find the first page and the page you were on when you leave a book and come back.
  • If you're using Gutenberg e-texts you're a lot better off with the ones labeled "html" than the ones labeled "generated html." The conversion program picks up a lot of the improved formatting and typeface.
0 Likes