help with wifi
whassup

I have been on the phone with Verizon for about 3 hours trying to get help on my wifi and in the end I was basically told that I have wifi but I just can't use it. When I first got the phone, I added my home network and it said I was connected. I surfed and checked email for about 12 days.  Keep in mind that I am no further than about 30ft away from router because I have a small home. I got my bill and was charged for all that time. When I called to complain, I was told that I was using 3G Verizon network instead of my home, even though I was connected to my home network. I was able to get the charges taken off but this has become a big dilemma for me because the wifi was the reason I got this phone.  I have 2 kids that I have on my account so I try to avoid any extras. I am looking for anyone to help me out with the following questions:

#1 how do I know when I am connected to my network? In the settings, under wireless controls I tap wi-fi and it immediately connects me to my home network. But by tapping the clock screen in the lower corner I see 5 bars (1st 3-4 are colored-in my case, blue) next to them is 3G (colored blue, not gray) and then the wireless symbol, also colored and not gray. Does this screen tell me anything?

#2 I have blocked all data since I do not want to be charged again but this has blocked my wifi also so my next question: how do I block the Verizon network but still get wifi to work?

# I saw on several other posts and was told from one rep just to put my phone on airplane mode and it should work. But as he tried it with me, he and I ended up with the same results, no wifi. What am I doing wrong or is it the software?

Thanks for any help!!!

0 Likes
Re: help with wifi
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I'm glad you got those charges removed. And it sounds like you succesfully blocked data, too. That is the key step that should be done before any surfing of the web, and it should be kept blocked. In this provided link, there is a detailed video how to block data::

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/KIN-ONEm-hands-on-videos-on-youtube/m-p/465988#M1855

I am pretty sure you successfully blocked data the proper way. By the browser 'not working' once you blocked it (and usually, you just try connecting to the browser with the wifi off to double-check too), it means it isn't connecting to the 3G network, which is good. The wifi is a completely separate entity, and by blocking whatever from Verizon's side, it should work exactly the same. The fact that every time you connected, you got charged for, means it wasn't actually connected to the wifi, which is odd. Sometimes it will fall back on the 3G network for momentary loss of the wifi signal (which is why you should block data, regardless), but to not be able to connect at all is weird. The indicator on the 'dashboard' showing the wifi signal isn't very accurate, and i'm not sure how often in updates, but it doesn't seem to update very frequently. But by virtue of you having full bars, you should've at some point been able to connect, so i'm not sure the problem.

Airplane mode is a way to successfully block data, but the problem is it also blocks calls and texts; it blocks all connections to the phone. So long as you have data blocked correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about airplane mode.

You say it has successfully connected to the network (the bull wifi bars in the dashboard)? With these phones, there have been reports of issues where certain types of routers, along with certain router settings involving security and the like cause these phones not to be able to connect to them. However, with you saying you've already connected, i'm not quite sure why it hasn't been able to work. I do know, that once (only once), i had the same issue, where i connected to a wifi connection that i already knew worked with my Kin 2m but none of the pages would load. However, i simply ignored it and the next day (and from there on) it was working again. Try turning the phone off, and then back on. I know you've heard this before, but what can you expect, it is a microsoft product and it really does fix problems most the time. Have you been able to connect to any wifi connections ever? Try connecting to different networks, be it your home, work, a local library or school campus, stores that have free wifi, etc. With me, my phone has been able to connect to every wifi connection i've tried, except for my work connection; that is understandable though, cause i'm sure that network is more secure.

If you indeed have never been able to successfully connect with the wifi, you might have to consider that it is your individual device that is faulty, and it might require a warranty exchange to get it working. It is really interesting, cause you are able to 'connect' to the network, with it finding the connection, accepting the password and showing the 'bars' and all, but none of the pages actually work. The antennas on the Kins are relatively weak, but for something like your home connection which is very close, there should be no problem (and it doesn't appear there is cause you 'can' connect to it).

I will confirm though (as does the video in the link above) that the Kin Onem and Twom were built with functioning wifi capabilities, and through successful blocking of data, you can browse the internet without being charged. The Kin's antennas have not been that compatible with all routers, as i've read, but i personally haven't really had problems with it. And my impressions from what you are describing sound like you are connecting, but at the same time, for some reason it isn't recognizing hte connection so the browser isn't working. My diagnosis, after you've tried the above suggestions of turning the phone off, and trying to connect to different networks (especially college campus networks; those are generally very broad and have a strong signal, if you have access to one), is that it is indeed your phone is faulty, and i'd suggest a warranty replacement.  I know there is no rush into a warranty replacement because it is a hassle to set everything up again, so you want to try every possible alternative before doing so. Do remember though, if it is within the first 30 days, you should be able to get a replacement with a 'new' phone, and after 30 days, warranty replacements are done with 'certified refurbished' phones, not brand new. So if that affects the timeline of your warranty, act accordingly.

I hope you get this figured out, and keep us updated on the problem and hopefully the solution.

0 Likes
mafiiee
To know if your data is really blocked even if wifi is turned off, if you use browser and type in a website it will say page cannot be displayed. This means you dont have any connection even if the 3g icon is there it wont use data from verizon.
0 Likes
whassup

This was all discovered Friday (3/4/11) after work so I did not try another network, only my home.  I am at work today and was able to get on the work network and was able to view a page from the browser so the problem must be my wireless router, which is funny because my network it open and lets anyone and everyone on. As long as I have "all data blocked" on my Verizon account I should not be charged anymore, right?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

whassup wrote:

This was all discovered Friday (3/4/11) after work so I did not try another network, only my home.  I am at work today and was able to get on the work network and was able to view a page from the browser so the problem must be my wireless router, which is funny because my network it open and lets anyone and everyone on. As long as I have "all data blocked" on my Verizon account I should not be charged anymore, right?

The Kin devices seem very "picky" when it comes to wireless networks. You can try resetting your router by unplugging it for several seconds.

As long as the data block is in place, you should not be charged. A word of warning though: If you ever call customer service for help, make sure the rep doesn't remove the block. For example, if your MMS messages aren't going through and you call to allow them, sign into your My Verizon account and make sure the data block is still there.

0 Likes