kin one/kin one m?
suzyq77

My daughter damaged her kin one m (dropped it in the water), so I started the process the get her a replacement.  When it came to the type of phone, they showed only a kin one (without the m).  I went ahead anyway, thinking that when the original phone eventually dried out, she could go back to it and keep the other as a back up.  When I got to the checkout portion, it said I had to return the original damaged phone or pay a $100 fee. 

My thought was "no way".  If they were replacing it with the exact same model, that would be fine, but not if they are replacing it with a lesser (discontinued, even) model.  Is this a new feature of the insurance?  The last time this happened to her, they did not ask for the original phone to be returned.  I just stuck it in a drawer and a few months later pulled it out and it still worked.  The battery was even charged a little!!  I was amazed.  I don't know if the Kin one m would be the same way, but one can hope.  So I guess my question is, what IS the difference between the Kin one and the Kin one m?  What features will she be missing when she has to settle for the older model?  She definitely does NOT want to wait months or even days for it to dry out and MAYBE still work.  Anyone had this experience with Asurion.  I have been completely thrilled with their service in the past.

0 Likes
Re: kin one/kin one m?
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Yes, you have to return the damaged phone when you get an insurance replacement. 

I don't think you'll like the Kin One (the original, without the M) because it requires the $30 data plan, AND all the Kin cloud services no longer exist. For this reason, owners of the original model got to exchange for a free 3G phone a couple of months ago.

All this makes me think you're getting an M, but is there a customer service number you can call to find out?

0 Likes
suzyq77

Yeah, now that I think about it, the time when I kept the damaged phone (which was miraculously resurrected a couple months later), was not an insurance claim.  I did NOT have coverage on that phone, so I kept it.  The other time I used the insurance, she actually lost the phone, so of course it could not be returned.  A friend told me that if you later find your lost one, they still require you to send it back, and they block the serial (or whatever it is called) number, so that phone can't be used again, not by normal means anyway, if one were to keep it.

I could not actually find a phone number to call customer service so that I could ask about which model she would receive before I completed the transaction.  I would think that in order for them to  hold up their end of the agreement, they should replace the phone with one of the same model, albeit refurbished, right?  We do NOT have a data plan, and I do not intend to get one.  That is why we have the Kin One m and the LG Cosmos.  If I had the highway robbery data plan, I would be using a droid or i phone or some such.

I will try to contact Asurion to check for sure on the phone model, but when I was submitting the claim online, where it asked for the type of equipment, it shows pictures of the phones and next to the one that looks like hers, it said Kin One (standard), I assume to differentiate from the Kin One m, but there was no Kin One m as a choice.  Thanks for your input though.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I would think that in order for them to  hold up their end of the agreement, they should replace the phone with one of the same model, albeit refurbished, right?  

Yes, they should replace it with the same model you ordered.

As you said, if you're paying for a data plan, you'd be using a full-fledged smartphone.

Good luck!

0 Likes