picture quality on kin two
mulliemark
Enthusiast - Level 2

How good is everyones picture quality? I can't get a "sharp" pic no matter how hard i try  it is the same whether I use the actual shutter button or the onscreen icon  the pics are all slightly out of focus and I have 2 phones brand new and it is the same with both. I have googled up some pic samples online that are actually very sharp akin to a 6-8 meg digital camera, and it is not that I am not holding it still ,cuz i don't think i could do any better on a tripod! It seems like it is an auto focus prob, which is too bad cuz I actually do like the phone but out of focus pics are a serious drawback to me.

mark

0 Likes
Re: picture quality on kin two
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Personally, Mine come out amazing! Not sure what the issue might be on yours. are the pics zoomed in at all? I always take my pics with the onscreen button and I have no issues whatsoever. Sometimes, when I zoom in however, the pics can be a bit blurry, sepending on how bad I hold the phone lol.

0 Likes
aaronsaund
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's going to be hard. It's a camera phone. IMO, no camera phone is good. It can take decent pics every now and then but they are not good enough to be printed out. Good enough to upload to facebook and share in emails and other places online and on the computer and device itself.

I do have have a tip though. Do not zoom in and do not use the "night" mode feature. The night mode feature makes it extremely blurry and you will not be able to focus. The phone just doesn't have good image stabilizaition. If you can hold it perfectly still it will look much better than most phones I'm sure.

0 Likes
mulliemark
Enthusiast - Level 2

no I am not zoomed in or on night mode perty much straight auto for all.

mark

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

refer to the post i made on this topic: (post #15, the 2nd half of it)

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN/Kin-ONEM-and-TWOM-Kin-Relevance/td-p/458468/page/2

The camera quality is very good outdoors and in situations with good lighting. The shutter speed is also very good, refer to the linked page about that. Long story short, i was at the dew tour, and watching the superpipe, with riders coming literally 5 feet in front of me, at the speeds that they take those jumps at and still being able to get clear pictures..yeah that is pretty amazing for a phone camera. It has a quick shutter speed.

In low light, the quality is significantly worse; the pictures will appear 'spotty' and you will see the picture as 'pixelated'. It will be comparable to a 1-2 MP camera in good light.

The zoom is a digital zoom only; meaning the picture quality doesn't get better at all; it is exactly like you took it not zoomed, but then just cropped it to the region that the picture is in, and then blew it up. I find that going up to ~2X zoom is fine, but anything more is just going to result in a blurry picture. That is the good part about having 8 mega-pixels: even on a standard computer screen, you will have 2x the pixels as the screen can see. And even in print, unless you print a super-large blown up picture, i'm talking about a regular 3x5 or 4x6 photo, the quality of the picture will be decent.

Yes, it does not have good image stabilization. So hold your hand steady, and rest the phone on something if you are in a situation where you can. And the video quality is superb; it is better than my parent's digital camera's video. In the end, it is all about expectations; you expect the camera to be as good as your canon or nikon, and you will be hugely disappointed. You expect it to be your backup camera when you forgot your camera, or when you need a camera in everyday events that just pop up and don't carry your camera around, then it will exceed expectations. It is all relative. But i highly don't suggest using this as your wedding camera, or your kid's 1st birthday; those memories deserve better pictures.

mulliemark, i can send you samples of pictures i've taken in different situations if you want; i was going to upload htem onto this page, but they are too large for the Verizon forums site. If you pm me with your email, i can send them.  That way you can compare, and make sure that it isn't your phone that is defective.

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

I agree about the picture quality.  I've yet to take a good picture, and I have been hired to take pictures for a business because they liked my photo skills so much.   I've tried to take a bunch of pictures outdoors skiing...without zooming..  I've tried with and without a flash...using the button and the onscreen.  I've tried indoor pics. Nothing comes out very good at all.  The pictures outside skiing on a sunny day all have a really blue tint.   One of the things that made me want this phone over the other feature phones was the 8mb camera, but I've been disappointed enough that I rarely even attempt to use the camera now.  It's no better than my 1.3mb on my last phone.  I'm still fairly happy with the phone, but not wowed. 

0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Personally, I think the picture quality is exceptional for a pocket camera or phone camera. I wasn't expecting much out of it but have decided it is better than my pocket Sony with a Zeiss lens. The pics are almost 3 dimensional by comparison. So, instead of carrying both camera and phone, I'll just carry only my phone from now on.  I use the screen button rather than the physical button, and I naturally have a fairly steady hand. It takes practice getting a good composition, but the quality of the 8mp resolution is very good.  It's video capability is exceptional as well.

0 Likes
qballnv
I had the same problem until I realized that for whatever reason, the lens on this particular phone is especially susceptible to smudging and haze created by the oils in your skin. You can greatly enhance the quality of your pics by simply swabbing the lens with alcohol prior to taking photos or shooting video. In addition, if you alcohol the touchscreen regularly it enhances the overall responsiveness of the phone when pulling up and switching applications. Hope this helps...
0 Likes
RugerRedhawk

I think it takes horrible pictures indoors, I assume it will be better outdoors. I was spoiled by my casio exilim though, which took pics about as good as an inexpensive standalone camera. This one takes pics that are 'ok for a phone' basically.

0 Likes
Not applicable

mulliemark,

Good afternoon!  

If you've seen the photo comparison from fisharefriends and there is a significant difference and you've cleaned the lens to no avail, then please PM me directly. Include your name and mobile number. I researched and found no known issue related to the camera. These isolated issue can happen.

Thank you!

0 Likes